Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week I posted about this too, but tonight was extreme...

I sat in front of 2 popular bars dts, watched 3 other drivers (both times) pull up after me (behind me) or drive up and get rides before me even though I was closer to the bar than they were or literally at the bar... finally I was given a ride down the street from the bars BOTH times. (In the pax app I was shown at the bars with the other people behind me or pulling up).

Do you guys think that:

If everything else remains equal does Uber limit how many rides you get in a certain time frame (if another driver can get there within 2-3 minutes)
or
Does sitting further away from a popular attraction make the algo choose you, because you can give the pax a couple of minutes to get ready rather than an immediate ride where they may have a no show...

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
last week I posted about this too, but tonight was extreme...

I sat in front of 2 popular bars dts, watched 3 other drivers (both times) pull up after me (behind me) or drive up and get rides before me even though I was closer to the bar than they were or literally at the bar... finally I was given a ride down the street from the bars BOTH times. (In the pax app I was shown at the bars with the other people behind me or pulling up).

Do you guys think that:

If everything else remains equal does Uber limit how many rides you get in a certain time frame (if another driver can get there within 2-3 minutes)
or
Does sitting further away from a popular attraction make the algo choose you, because you can give the pax a couple of minutes to get ready rather than an immediate ride where they may have a no show...
TNX drivers aren't allowed to do, by both company policy and law (as a nod to the money taxis pay to towns to be licensed), pre-arranged rides that don't come through the app, and any street hails. If you are too close to the pax or address, they will think that one or the other is happening and give the ride to someone else, if they can.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Long Post, but no easy way to explain...

I've been hesitant to post this positioning tip (thanks to our friend who say's not to help anyone...) but... (don't you hate "But's" it means disregard everything I said before, this is what I really mean). The real key to positioning is the direction your car is facing on the pax app. If your waiting at a bar or your fav intersection that will give you the greatest access to a few select neighborhoods make sure your car is pointing at your target street or bar. Again posters are right if you park right in front a place I suspect the app thinks you will have passed it by the time you get the ping or it's (or like others have said a street hail).
From what I have gathered reading posts from around the country the driver app is not constantly updating your position. From a logistics view I can see that. Some think that when your going slow the position update is less then when your moving faster (could be). Now my personnel experience is I've driven past my target and pulled a U-turn a block back then parked. I wait a minute before I fire up the the pax app. Most of the time I've found my car is pointing the direction I was traveling before I made the turn and parked so I look as if I'm driving past the target in the other direction.

My fix, (your mileage may vary...) I go past the target intersection/bar for a few blocks, then turn, then as I approach the place I would like to park I go to my ratings screen (any other screen other then the driver position screen will work) as I'm about to park I move back to the home screen (driver app) it seems that when you move back to the home screen your car position is updated. Park then a minute later I check the pax app and my car is pointing at my target. I'm guessing it looks to the computer that I'm approaching the intersection/bar and when I get the ping I will not have to be routed around the block to get there and thereby I'm the closest car.

Now I may have to do that twice to get my car facing the correct direction but once I do most often I get a ping very quickly... and yes I do see others in front of me get pings before me but we all know Uber has other things in it's algorithm.

My disclaimer: I put this post in a sub thread because I did not want every tom dick and harry to read it...

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
100% nope.
heres what happened. uber algraythum spelled wrong choose them over you that simple..maybe the guy 10 mins behind you did 6 pool rides and uber threw him a 20 mile ride...do u cancel alot...the whole system learns and give out work it wants. great drivers will over come it all. reg drivers will just cry the blues....sitting out front means jack shit

Uber has other things in it's algorithm.

also if say driver a always takes short trips. and my algorithm see i take so many long trips. the computer may bypass you and give me this capemay long trip from 2 miles away and skip 3 drivers..i got alot of proof of this 12k trips. but what you said dug is nice advice...sometimes changing screens makes uber think you are doing lyft and u get pinged rt away

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
It's based on seniority. People who've been driving longer get more/better rides.
It's actually the opposite. Same principle as the crack dealer giving you the first hit for free to get you hooked.

Also I'm a 20%er. It's better for uber to give the ride to a 25%er if ones available.

bobby747 and Dug_M i think are both onto something as I've noticed similar things on multiple occasions. I pulled an LD trip with a long pickup fee yesterday. I am certain there was at least 5 other drivers closer to the rider, but I have a long track record of accepting and completing nearly all LD trips I get offered. I also had several instances of literally having drove past my customer 30 seconds prior and having to circle the block to get them.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The algorithm thing simply isn’t true ... I snatch rides through positioning tricks I’ve learned. Seriously I’ve gotten pings from the same parking lot other drivers are waiting in Did the ride came back and got another while their there still playing with their phones

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
if what u say is true and we are both at say EWR.
do u position your car on roof...I put mine on sunny days n.east in 5 mile hour winds.why would I get long trip over you..
Joe smo..who started wed. might get the ride thru the computer. so he goes home and tells all . I went 100 mile ride today Uber's great 10 weeks later he went get trip...this company is sharp buddy.
i do wav wheel chair x xl..
in the past i have gotten some sweet rides from the highway long trip uber x and xl. at say train station when thier are 30 cars ubers thier..this is why i beleive what i believe.
now that i do alot of city wav...the second happens...not as many far as computer see's i am in CC alot...dont like it but pays good

·
Registered
530 Posts
100% nope.
heres what happened. uber algraythum spelled wrong choose them over you that simple..maybe the guy 10 mins behind you did 6 pool rides and uber threw him a 20 mile ride...do u cancel alot...the whole system learns and give out work it wants. great drivers will over come it all. reg drivers will just cry the blues....sitting out front means jack shit

Uber has other things in it's algorithm.

also if say driver a always takes short trips. and my algorithm see i take so many long trips. the computer may bypass you and give me this capemay long trip from 2 miles away and skip 3 drivers..i got alot of proof of this 12k trips. but what you said dug is nice advice...sometimes changing screens makes uber think you are doing lyft and u get pinged rt away
I agree. I don't picked up pool. But sometimes when slow I can do 1 or 2 pools, and after I get up to 5 pools request in row ,I don't accept. Then again get only X. Uber it is robot, who learns. When you send toll adjustment message , and you have answer in 1 minute. Do you think any real people can answer so fast?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Long Post, but no easy way to explain...

I've been hesitant to post this positioning tip (thanks to our friend who say's not to help anyone...) but... (don't you hate "But's" it means disregard everything I said before, this is what I really mean). The real key to positioning is the direction your car is facing on the pax app. If your waiting at a bar or your fav intersection that will give you the greatest access to a few select neighborhoods make sure your car is pointing at your target street or bar. Again posters are right if you park right in front a place I suspect the app thinks you will have passed it by the time you get the ping or it's (or like others have said a street hail).
From what I have gathered reading posts from around the country the driver app is not constantly updating your position. From a logistics view I can see that. Some think that when your going slow the position update is less then when your moving faster (could be). Now my personnel experience is I've driven past my target and pulled a U-turn a block back then parked. I wait a minute before I fire up the the pax app. Most of the time I've found my car is pointing the direction I was traveling before I made the turn and parked so I look as if I'm driving past the target in the other direction.

My fix, (your mileage may vary...) I go past the target intersection/bar for a few blocks, then turn, then as I approach the place I would like to park I go to my ratings screen (any other screen other then the driver position screen will work) as I'm about to park I move back to the home screen (driver app) it seems that when you move back to the home screen your car position is updated. Park then a minute later I check the pax app and my car is pointing at my target. I'm guessing it looks to the computer that I'm approaching the intersection/bar and when I get the ping I will not have to be routed around the block to get there and thereby I'm the closest car.

Now I may have to do that twice to get my car facing the correct direction but once I do most often I get a ping very quickly... and yes I do see others in front of me get pings before me but we all know Uber has other things in it's algorithm.

My disclaimer: I put this post in a sub thread because I did not want every tom &%[email protected]!* and harry to read it...
Dug_M - You've got good intentions and I applaud you for that.

However... this directional advice is not useful or accurate.

The problem is that phones don't have accurate compasses (they are a big hunk of metal... it's difficult to make a compass accurate in that) and GPS can only be used to discern direction IF you are moving. Additionally the compass in the phone is even more worthless when you are sitting within another big hunk of steel (a car).

When you are sitting still the direction returned from the geo location API on the phone keeps changing. The conspiracy theories that used to abound on this forum about why the cars on the map spun around when they weren't moving were hilarious: but they were only conspiracy theories. The reason the cars spun around was because the phone doesn't know what direction you are pointed in when you aren't moving (at least, not accurately).

Now, you might think that this could all be solved by checking if someone has moved recently and ignoring any direction change if they haven't moved. But that's harder than you would think. The reason why it's difficult is that the GPS accuracy metric keeps changing and, when it does, the assumed location changes as well. So it looks like you're moving around according to GPS even when you haven't moved at all. So you can't really say "oh, keep the direction constant when the user isn't moving" because you never really know when they are not moving.

Point is: Uber isn't paying too much attention to the direction that you are pointed OR (if they are) it doesn't matter anyway because your phone keeps thinking you've changed direction.

Now, if you swear that this matters, by all means continue doing so. But just know that it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
It's based on seniority. People who've been driving longer get more/better rides.
Uhhh... no.

If anything, newbies still working on a guarantee promo get rides first, so Uber has to supplement less.

if what u say is true and we are both at say EWR.
do u position your car on roof...I put mine on sunny days n.east in 5 mile hour winds.why would I get long trip over you..
Joe smo..who started wed. might get the ride thru the computer. so he goes home and tells all . I went 100 mile ride today Uber's great 10 weeks later he went get trip...this company is sharp buddy.
i do wav wheel chair x xl..
in the past i have gotten some sweet rides from the highway long trip uber x and xl. at say train station when thier are 30 cars ubers thier..this is why i beleive what i believe.
now that i do alot of city wav...the second happens...not as many far as computer see's i am in CC alot...dont like it but pays good
Theoretically, EWR is different. There's rebound, and there's the queue, with the deviations being TLC drivers and NYC rides. A NYC ride will go to a TOS in rebound first. If none are available, it will skip over any NJ drivers in rebound or queue to TLC in queue. If none are available, or don't accept it, it will THEN go to NJ in rebound and then queue.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have found that when i wear my tin foil hat and garlic necklace i get more rides. I have also tried mounting my cell upside down and wearing my underwear on the outside of my pants with mixed results.
Do what works for you.
When you go out from house,put your cup upside down,you will get ping after ping. when return home you have to blow 3 times on cup then return cup to normal position. But if somebody turn cup before you back, you will get only $3.96 pings for the next 3 days, so be careful.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
I have found that when i wear my tin foil hat and garlic necklace i get more rides. I have also tried mounting my cell upside down and wearing my underwear on the outside of my pants with mixed results.
Do what works for you.
You need to lose the garlic necklace. Vampires tend to have money, and if you adhere to the rules of etiquette, they tip well. Very well if you offer some blood to drink in place of water.

It's good to be able to read your passenger and anticipate their needs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Uhhh... no.

If anything, newbies still working on a guarantee promo get rides first, so Uber has to supplement less.

Theoretically, EWR is different. There's rebound, and there's the queue, with the deviations being TLC drivers and NYC rides. A NYC ride will go to a TOS in rebound first. If none are available, it will skip over any NJ drivers in rebound or queue to TLC in queue. If none are available, or don't accept it, it will THEN go to NJ in rebound and then queue.
Wrong. For the last 10 rebound in ewr I get 4 to NYC ( all of them X and rate 4.8x) when on Q was 40-50 only Nj drivers.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
When you go out from house,put your cup upside down,you will get ping after ping. when return home you have to blow 3 times on cup then return cup to normal position. But if somebody turn cup before you back, you will get only $3.96 pings for the next 3 days, so be careful.
Wait, so should i do this with my coffee cup or my athletic cup? I usually have both with me when i am driving.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts