Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may remember my last thread about this place, wherein we learned together the best way to utilize this space.

A few days ago I picked up a ride there, sent in my email to get the fare reimbursed, and went merrily on my way. Following is the email conversation I have had with Uber's support:

Dolores (Uber)

Oct 17 10:05

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for writing in! Can you please provide me more information on what type of fee you were charged at the Richmond International Airport?

Thank you.

Best,

Dolores

Community Support Representative
[email protected]
I replied back saying the airport charges a $5 fee to pick up passengers.

Then I received this response:

Dolores (Uber)
Oct 20 12:36

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for following up and providing that information! At this time only UberBlack drivers are allowed to pickup and drop off at the Richmond airport. I will adjust your account for the $5 as a one time courtesy. That adjustment will be reflecting on your next statement and can be viewed at http://partner.uber.com.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Dolores

Community Support Representative
[email protected]
I wrote back urging them to reconsider the policy. I'd like encourage everyone else to do the same. The city itself is oversaturated with drivers. This will only get worse if we are no longer allowed to pick up fares at the airport. This hurts everyone, even those who don't go out there.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If they have not geo fenced it to prevent UberX drivers from getting pick ups then you should be able to get the fee reimbursed. Ask her what you should do if you get a ride request. Cancel?

And send her a pic of the Flyer you received. Seems like they do not even know the airport is allowing TNC to operate there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is NO UberBlack in Richmond.. Check the App and Uber's website. There is no way for UberBlack to pick or drop off there as the option doesn't even exist. The CSR is confusing RIC with another state or airport. Sigh.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you all supported out of the DC office? Charlotte's overflow support emails go there (we have our own office, but I think they bulked up DC recently). The DC people's responses are hilarious. We share them and they never make any sense.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
There is NO UberBlack in Richmond.. Check the App and Uber's website. There is no way for UberBlack to pick or drop off there as the option doesn't even exist. The CSR is confusing RIC with another state or airport. Sigh.
Oh yea thee is no UberBlack in Richmond and the Airport is geofenced to block the only option, Uberx. So how did the OP get a request anyway?

Actually I take that back, there were just No UberX cars close to the airport when I checked. Not sure if the airport is geo fenced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I stopped picking up at the airport a month ago. I still usually take in 300 to 500 Friday through Sunday. Most airport runs will get you $20 to $40 dollars. If they won't reimburse you find out if it is truly worth it to you. Remember Amtrak on Staples Mill and Grayhound on boulevard after always great spots. DC and NYC people take bus and train quite a bit.

As for only Uber black at the airport. Sounds like the wrong person is answering emails.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I noticed twice tonight, the airport turned orange. I've never seen the airport change color before period could this mean that no one is over there picking people up when they are requesting it because of the charge we have to face now?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I emailed Uber today about RIC pickups and they said only UberBlack is allowed to. I replied about how RVA doesnt have UberBlack yet, and here is their response...

"Thanks following up! That is correct, at the moment no Uber partners are not allowed to accept requests at this time. If this should change in the near future, we will be reaching out to our partners in the Richmond area with this information."

So there you go! I guess the only way around it is to take your U down when you go there and pretend like you are picking up someone you know

·
Registered
288 Posts
@VicoDrive, taking the U down is double trouble, from what I've read. Required by both DMV and RIC. You're not so stealthy when cabbies, limo drivers, and probably airport police are running the customer app.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Paying the fee & having Uber add it to the fare has not been a problem for me. My biggest problem with the airport pickups @ this point is the crap shoot that it is. I follow the rules, as my license plate is in the database they have after my first warning. They really do seem to be happy to have us out there, I've spoken to the airport police a few times.

Problem is, if I sit offsite following the rules for 30 mins waiting for ping. Most the time another driver just rolls into terminal and sits. I've seen them get calls & that's very frustrating. Not sure if I will be sitting out there anymore. I'm going to reach out to the Director who is in charge of the Uber relationship and see if anything can be worked out.

The 2 main rules.

Stay offsite.
Use commercial lane, pay $5 fee

We should all be happy to follow these rules. Research what other airport authorities are requiring/banning across the country. We have it good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thought we had to fend off of the Cabbie, Limo drivers, etc...but now that Uber drivers also joining in the against their fellow Uber drivers is really messed up...

@JohnA....U never paid any fees up until u were told about it & a warning was issued to u, why do u want other fellow Uber drivers to pay a fee that only U have to pay bc u were added to the RIC database??
+ Uber drivers get pinged based on their GeoPositionningSystem (GPS) so as to this crap of the early bird gets the warm is left for the Cabbies n Limo ppl, so u you prolly should get off of the Uber system that's displeasing u so much & start driving for one of them Cab Companies ya kno...JUST my two cents

@VicoDrive...Taking ur U sign is misleading & might get u in big trouble so I highly discourage it, see when u got ur U sign u can always argue ignorance, taking ur U sign shows intent & misleading behavior...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've always paid the fee. Just have been asked to stay off the property. (Busted in cell lot) Thank you for explaining the Uber system.

I'm not displeased with Uber. They have happily reimbursed the fee every single time.

Why would you even suggest not paying the fee? Makes no sense.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts