Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So those that had the 3 consecutive trips bonus this morning how did it go? I had my filter on and was able to get 3 in a row without going offline but am not seeing the layout bonus anywhere. Was it because the filter was on? I'm guessing that will be Uber's excuse when I ask even though their very little description said nothing about it. Are you allowed to ignore a request that comes in or must you accept every first ping that comes your way?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I think once you accept a ride, then you must accept the next two no matter what to get the streak. If you decline or cancel (even for no-show?) then streak reseats to 0. DF probably doesn’t matter?

I also went for it this morning. Took one X ride, and then the very next was a pool (at 1.5x). So I bit. First was an express no-show so I cancelled and thought they would ding me for that? Maybe they did? But ended up with 3 more picks and all happened before the window closed so I got the bonus (+1.5x). Worth it to be forced into pool? Maybe in morning rush through the NW neighborhoods with limited traffic and ended up in a decent spot for more rides.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
They do not care about the number of the trips. 5,7,10...they will pay for any amount of trips which are accepted without interruptions. They need drivers who will accept all incoming requests,even if it is a 15 mins away pool. When it is busy you can earn way more just picking the proper rides.
If only they would learn....Night of T Swift I ignored over 80 requests.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
It works like this, 6-9 do 3 consecutive you get the bonus. After you did 3 you can fu-k them a bit and relocate..... the countdown starts from 0 anyway so you are good. Anytime you break the streak it starts from 0, but once you completed 3 you get the bonus. So lets say, you got 3, got the bonus, go offline, relocate, go online and start another 3. If you break the second streak then it resets to 0 so you don’t need to worry. I personally like to go offline imediatlly after I pick up pax in the morning so I have to find a new strategy. This morning I did only 1 streak, last pickup before 9am, dropped off at 9:04 and I stayed online for 2 more fares ( you can see your status upper right corner). Uber tried to f me hitting me with a fare just before I dropped the 3rd consecutive, I accepted but imediatlly after I dropped I canceled to see the map ( I got paid the bonus). So one I’ll do for sure, not worth it for me unless is a pool to dt( on a decent surge and 3 riders) Good luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hey guys be cautious with this promotion cause I think it's more of an experiment of the new surge formats just implemented in other cities. It's exactly the promotion used before changing surge formats.

Check the Columbus forum. They hate the new surge format.

Something like "drive to the surge area, accept 1st trip Uber pings and then if accept the next trip receive a bonus of 1.50 to 10.00.

Uber in this cities pretty much took away multiplication such a 2x and changed it to addition of $2 on next trip.

Check out the thread in Columbus on this subject for more details.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hey guys be cautious with this promotion cause I think it's more of an experiment of the new surge formats just implemented in other cities. It's exactly the promotion used before changing surge formats.

Check the Columbus forum. They hate the new surge format.

Something like "drive to the surge area, accept 1st trip Uber pings and then if accept the next trip receive a bonus of 1.50 to 10.00.

Uber in this cities pretty much took away multiplication such a 2x and changed it to addition of $2 on next trip.

Check out the thread in Columbus on this subject for more details.
My mistake. Not Columbus. Expanded to Charlotte, Cincinnati, Houston, Oklahoma.

Im a dumbarse and dont know how to post the Uber link to a forum from an LG phone BUT if you guys use the search phrase "New Surge Expanding" you'll see the link of Uber's explanation along with graphics of surge maps explaining how the "New Surge helps drivers and is expanding to more and more cities.

You'll then be able to read the comments from drivers effected by this. Let's just say that experienced drivers hate it but newbies who dont know better or simply drive for base pool rates like it because they can make an extra 2 to 11 bucks on their next trip.

FYI - Drivers effected have not received a $10 or $11 next ride bonus like Uber explains in illustrations. The largest bonus was $7.00 and many a driver would've made much more on a 2.0 surge than a $7 bonus on next ride 14 minutes away format.

It's coming to Chicago, many predict so please check out the thread titled New Surge Expanding.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
"New Surge helps drivers..."
Haha.

I honestly don't understand why Uber still thinks they have a PR problem with surge pricing. Many things in this country fall on the supply/demand curve. Average riders can't get behind higher prices for less supply? Maybe other consumer goods/services just aren't as in your face about pricing. I think upfront pricing actually helps riders comfort level because it helps mask what the regular price would normally be. They still pay more during a surge but they just don't realize exactly how much more. PR problem solved? Maybe Uber just needs to do better PR on what supply/demand really is, and if they don't like higher prices in peak demand areas...then take the bus? I've never understood why riders get so bent out of shape at high surge prices. What did they do before Uber? Sit and wait? Maybe just do the same now?

Also, maybe new surge actually does help drivers in smaller markets? Though I don't understand how.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was 2 trips in this morning sitting in gold coast at 2.5 surge and got no hits for 8 minutes. Finally got fed up and flipped it off then back on quick got a ping right away. Who knows if they'll pay put the bonus. Also both days the little counter didn't work or update at all. Nice job uber

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, no, this has zero to do with PR and everything to do with maximizing profits. They will still use a demand based model to charge riders, they just won't pay surge rates to drivers. There was an earlier thread this week where a Lyft driver on the heat map made something like $20 on a trip where Lyft collected almost $80. Pretty sure this has everything to do with the new CEO needing to actually show the investors the company can turn a profit.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
Don't under estimate riders. There are those who have learned the surge manipulation game is being played, and are more than a little unhappy.

My ride to ORD this morning is a regular business traveler who also uses Uber when out socially. He asked if it is true that drivers go offline to drive up demand.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
I said I have heard it. I told him that in McHenry, it's a non issue. I also told him some riders have a game they play too. Check price, log off, check later. He knew of that one too.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Don't under estimate riders. There are those who have learned the surge manipulation game is being played, and are more than a little unhappy.

My ride to ORD this morning is a regular business traveler who also uses Uber when out socially. He asked if it is true that drivers go offline to drive up demand.
Sounds like the system working perfectly to me!!! There aren't enough drivers willing to do the job at that price. Hence either surge a little to get the 'app-off til surge-on' guys to click on, or to pull in more drivers willing to do the job at the little surge. And you keep surging until the supply hits the demand.

Uber can make PLENTY of money taking $2,5,10,20,50 per ride. How much have they made from the folks on this thread alone in the last week?!? Killing the way surge works now will send drivers fleeing...at least in this market...hopefully they know they can't apply the same tactics/incentives to all markets...which I'm pretty sure they know...given the way promotions/boosts/incentives are all customized to different drivers.

I said I have heard it. I told him that in McHenry, it's a non issue. I also told him some riders have a game they play too. Check price, log off, check later. He knew of that one too.
More system working just fine!!! I did that all the time as a rider back when Uber first launched. If I felt the price was too high...I went back inside and had another beer. Someone else can pay the higher price...or maybe more drivers come around and we all pay a less.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was 2 trips in this morning sitting in gold coast at 2.5 surge and got no hits for 8 minutes. Finally got fed up and flipped it off then back on quick got a ping right away. Who knows if they'll pay put the bonus. Also both days the little counter didn't work or update at all. Nice job uber
So I checked and Uber didn't give me the payout after my 3rd ride. Either there was a bug in their system or they stall on purpose hoping you flip it off and back on to reset it. Well that's what I did and I immediately got a ping but of course no 3 ride bonus. Well played Uber.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts