Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just submitted this to the Lyft help desk:

It is a well-known fact that the Lyft app algorithms work against a driver who is eligible for power driver bonuses in several different ways. Here are a couple:

1. Deprioritization: as a power driver bonus eligible driver, the Lyft app deprioritises me during peak hours to ensure that I will never reach the number of peak rides required to hit the bonus, and will prioritize drivers with cars older than 2011 who are not eligible for power driver bonus during those hours.

2. Determent: the Lyft app will discourage me from accepting the few rides it does send me during peak hours by sending me rides no driver in their right mind would want to accept. For example, I can be sitting in the middle of a 200% Prime Time Zone, as I was tonight, and rather than send me a ride nearby in that red hot Prime Time Zone, the Lyft app will send me a ride far outside of the Prime Time Zone with little to no markup on the price, in hopes that I will either expend a significant quantity of time to get to the pickup location and lower than number of rides I can do during peak hours, or that I will merely not accept the ride, and in doing so, my acceptance rate will drop below the 90% required for power driver bonus.

In addition to the above, Lyft continues to raise the number of required rides to qualify for the bonus, rendering it unattainable. In light of all this, I was wondering if it would be possible to disable power driver bonus eligibility on my driver account in order to be treated more fairly by the Lyft app algorithm when it is making decisions on which rides to send to which drivers. I would appreciate a response on this at your earliest convenience.
I can't wait to see what they say!

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Support bots aren't gonna help you much there.
Might try a hub.
But methinks its correlated with the year numerical value of the car on your account. It may not be possible?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Support bots aren't gonna help you much there.
Might try a hub.
But methinks its correlated with the year numerical value of the car on your account. It may not be possible?
My car is a 2017, so yes that is part of the problem. But there is no Lyft Hub in Milwaukee because they are cheap and have not set one up.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I speak Lyftbot. Here is what they will think you are wanting help with:

eligible for power driver bonuses?
That is the question they will answer, imo.

---------

Also, your email is missing the question mark on your question, which is buried near the end of what reads like a very long rant.

Try asking your question by itself as the first line and if you want to provide details or explanation go ahead but dont rely on Lyft taking the time to read it:

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to disable power driver bonus eligibility on my driver account?

---- more details on my request ----

It is a well-known fact that the Lyft app algorithms work against a driver who is eligible for power driver bonuses in several different ways. Here are a couple:

1. Deprioritization: as a power driver bonus eligible driver, the Lyft app deprioritises me during peak hours to ensure that I will never reach the number of peak rides required to hit the bonus, and will prioritize drivers with cars older than 2011 who are not eligible for power driver bonus during those hours.

2. Determent: the Lyft app will discourage me from accepting the few rides it does send me during peak hours by sending me rides no driver in their right mind would want to accept. For example, I can be sitting in the middle of a 200% Prime Time Zone, as I was tonight, and rather than send me a ride nearby in that red hot Prime Time Zone, the Lyft app will send me a ride far outside of the Prime Time Zone with little to no markup on the price, in hopes that I will either expend a significant quantity of time to get to the pickup location and lower than number of rides I can do during peak hours, or that I will merely not accept the ride, and in doing so, my acceptance rate will drop below the 90% required for power driver bonus.

In addition to the above, Lyft continues to raise the number of required rides to qualify for the bonus, rendering it unattainable. In light of all this, I was wondering if it would be possible to disable power driver bonus eligibility on my driver account in order to be treated more fairly by the Lyft app algorithm when it is making decisions on which rides to send to which drivers. I would appreciate a response on this at your earliest convenience.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I speak Lyftbot. Here is what they will think you are wanting help with:

That is the question they will answer, imo.

---------

Also, your email is missing the question mark on your question, which is buried near the end of what reads like a very long rant.

Try asking your question by itself as the first line and if you want to provide details or explanation go ahead but dont rely on Lyft taking the time to read it:
This is great advice. I've found that asking one simple question per email and providing details though screenshot attachments works best. If you don't get a direct answer to your question, ask it again. Don't move on to another question until you get a response to the first one. Think of it as an attorney cross examining a witness during a court case.

I've had email chains of 15-20 emails, just to get a simple question answered properly, but I do get my answer.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
You already know what Lyft is going to say, don't you?...

"We hope you are having a wonderful day today and thanks for reaching out to us! We wish that all Lyft drivers were as concerned and dedicated as you are. Your fantastic star rating shows that you always care to provide a quality experience to your riders. We hope that you will continue to accept as many rides as possible so that your acceptance rating will remain high and your earnings will increase. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us and thanks for being an important part of the Lyft community!"

(sigh...)

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
And then 1 week later he'll get escalated to Maria who'll delete his car off the profile, subtract a few vehicle classes, knock his 4.9 down to 4.62, and file an unknown sender "speeding allegation" to Trust & Safety against him for arguing with her

Based on a true story btw

PS don't ask that person "are you high?" When they screw everything up....else you'll get suspended for a week, also a true story

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
The PDB is just a way for them to make you their beach. Either decline that 20 min Line ride or lose your bonus. It doesn’t make sense mathematically. The very high end only pays $2 a ride, at least some of your hours are mandated, and you must accept every 9/10 rides, no matter how sucky.

Uber quests aren’t that much better on a per ride basis but they are much more obtainable even when you’re not actively chasing them. Ride counts are lower and have no acceptance or peak hour requirements. Only advantage with Lyft over Uber is that all ride types count as do all trips, even those outside your home market. Still doesn’t outweigh taking far away base fare rides when you’re in the middle of a hot pink area. And even if you drive a premium category that you would have no problem accepting 100% of requests, there aren’t enough of them to meet your quota.

·
Banned
480 Posts

It's not the app. It's the 80% of drivers declining those rides in and around the prime time location. So the rest of the calls have to be picked up by someone. And unfortunately PDB get the brunt end.
So the only way to get control back from these companies is to the opposite of what they want you to do.
You'll make less but at least you've stuck to your morals and standards. Activism isn't easy. No matter the scale.
Lyft and Uber are about one thing and one thing only expand as fast as possible and market share.
There is no room for the human factor. So it's up to us to bring it into the conversation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Everybody is forced into the power driver bonus even though I have a 2008 vehicle

because it is a bad deal for the driver and a good deal for Lyft

they try and force you to accept all rides but I completely ignore it

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have no problem reaching the PDB and I do not accept every ride. I will at times if things are slow accept some of the rides that make you go out a little further. However, as long as you aren't declining everything then the PDB is not that bad to get. I do not believe there is an algorithm that is intentionally pushing you out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts