Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have received my F Extension today and I am bit confused on choosing car.
Firstly. I can only drive 30 to 40 hours in a week
I have a baby seat in my 4 yr old Camry, and my wife use our car sometime to go out with my little one. Should I rent a car?

If I use my personal car, I was told by someone that I need to pay the difference to change from 1A to 3F (close to 400$). Currently I am with SGIO and I have fully comprehensive insurance, can i use this or do I need to upgrade? If so, how much will it cost. Am sure someone will be with SGIO , Please advise me.

Thanks,
Yo

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's sad, you have no idea our little you earn per hour.
I don't believe you can hire a car for UBER.
the hours you will need to be away from you wife and child is massive to cover a rental car.
Find any other work than the road you are going down at the moment.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I agree with Happypete, if you need extra cash try and find a second job. Uber is not viable. By the time you've taken all your costs into account you'll be making $10 per hour.

·
Premium Member
4,865 Posts
I agree with Happypete, if you need extra cash try and find a second job. Uber is not viable. By the time you've taken all your costs into account you'll be making $10 per hour.
It's a tight job market here in WA atm. Finding a first job can be difficult. Full time Uber obviously isn't fantastic, but it's better than the dole.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's sad, you have no idea our little you earn per hour.
I don't believe you can hire a car for UBER.
the hours you will need to be away from you wife and child is massive to cover a rental car.
Find any other work than the road you are going down at the moment.
:) thanks and Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's a tough gig to get into especially you have a family you want to see. You will spend a lot of time away from them with little rewards. You will become discourage after two weeks of driving.

From my observation, people that do Ok with Uber and quite happy with it, are people that are singles, have low maintenance, low living expenses, having a fixed rent of lets say $150 a week including outgoings. And they are not looking to get rich in the future, they just want to survive day by day, laid back people. They are not looking to buy lets say a house, a boat, or go on vacations etc. And they don't mind spending a lot of time away from home to make what they need to make. Those people should do Ok with Uber.

And people with disadvantages, no offend here, I am too, eg. English language. Most jobs required English Proficiency. People that can't even get a job at a Service Station, at a Supermarket, at a McDonalds etc. If you are one of those people, you will do well and happy with Uber. Again, no offend here, this is based on my observation.

Feel free to comments.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks BusyBee. So this is not a suitable second job? that is what everyone suggesting right?

Thanks,
Yo

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks BusyBee. So this is not a suitable second job? that is what everyone suggesting right?

Thanks,
Yo
Everyone here are just disgruntled about conditions. They aren't ideal - but certainly if you work the correct hours, if you work smart and use the system to your advantage, there is some money to earn. Cars, I lease - the guys who are most happy are those who use Uber to compliment their studies and drive the correct hours.

Weekday early mornings
Long 15 hour shifts on Saturday
Western suburb shifts on Sunday.
Monday morning 3AM - 9AM

That is basically the best 40-45 hours. Work outside of that, then don't expect much unless you get lucky.

It's a tough gig to get into especially you have a family you want to see. You will spend a lot of time away from them with little rewards. You will become discourage after two weeks of driving.

From my observation, people that do Ok with Uber and quite happy with it, are people that are singles, have low maintenance, low living expenses, having a fixed rent of lets say $150 a week including outgoings. And they are not looking to get rich in the future, they just want to survive day by day. They are not looking to buy lets say a house, a boat, or go on vacations etc. And they don't mind spending a lot of time away from home to make what they need to make. Those people should do Ok with Uber.
And people with disadvantages, no offends here, I am too, eg. English language. Most jobs required English Proficiency. People that can't even get a job at a Service Station, at a Supermarket, at a McDonalds etc. Again, no offends here, this is based on my observation.
Absolute rubbish.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Thanks,
Yo
If you ask 10 people, they all will tell you differently.
Best is to rent a car for 28 days from UberMarketPlace and decide for yourself if Uber is for you or not.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Everyone here are just disgruntled about conditions. They aren't ideal - but certainly if you work the correct hours, if you work smart and use the system to your advantage, there is some money to earn. Cars, I lease - the guys who are most happy are those who use Uber to compliment their studies and drive the correct hours.

Weekday early mornings
Long 15 hour shifts on Saturday
Western suburb shifts on Sunday.
Monday morning 3AM - 9AM

That is basically the best 40-45 hours. Work outside of that, then don't expect much unless you get lucky.

Absolute rubbish.
You don't get it do you? You are a well known member and yet you still don't get it.

What everyone is complaining on here is the rate of pay.
A $1.00 per Km is not a profitable business to operate. Taxis are charging a higher rate for a good reason.
Uber fee: 0.25 cents.
GST: 0.10 cents.
You are left with 0.65 cents to cover fuel, dead Km, depreciation, maintenance, repairs, wear and tears, insurance, licencing fees etc, etc, etc.

We are fighting for a rate increase for a good reason.

Can people on here help me explaining this to whocareaboutPAX please?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep busy bee.
You got it covered.
Every time I look on the rider app there are heaps of wannabe cars looking for that elusive ping. While there lurking on the road the only winner is the rider.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You don't get it do you? You are a well known member and yet you still don't get it.

What everyone is complaining on here is the rate of pay.

A $1.00 per Km is not a profitable business to operate. Taxis are charging a higher rate for a good reason.

Uber fee: 0.25 cents.

GST: 0.10 cents.

You are left with 0.65 cents to cover fuel, dead Km, depreciation, maintenance, repairs, wear and tears, insurance, licencing fees etc, etc, etc.

We are fighting for a rate increase for a good reason.

Can people on here help me explaining this to whocareaboutPAX please?
Uber was never set up to be something you do full time.
I don't particularly think the rate is fair, but in the greater context of things who bloody cares. Nobody is focing you to drive Uber, it is a personal choice.
The true issues are: the minimum fare, the rules Uber binds you by (i.e cancellation limit, not seeing destinations).
If you drive during peak periods, and tailor around this - you can make a margin and it can supplement another income stream. It should never be treated as anything more than this, and to think otherwise is naïve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts