Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for the old school drivers (like myself). Remember when you were able to make money driving for Uber? I want to see stories or pictures of some money making rides. Old surges or even old rates that worked for us.
Even some good weeks or weekends. Let's see what you guys got! UBER ON!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The video is from 2015. Good times.

It's not easy as 2015. But you can make money. If you know what you are doing. Just have to work harder than 2015.

That's my experience.

Experience, location, and luck.
I agree with this 100%. We are doing more volume instead of long trips that pay a lot, but people are also forgetting the long stretches of downtime we had. I recall several times sweating to make a guarantee because of the lack of trips.

The biggest problem with the Uber economy in NJ is two things: the cost of minimum trips is too low, and the disparity between the shore and the rest of NJ.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I agree with this 100%. We are doing more volume instead of long trips that pay a lot, but people are also forgetting the long stretches of downtime we had. I recall several times sweating to make a guarantee because of the lack of trips.

The biggest problem with the Uber economy in NJ is two things: the cost of minimum trips is too low, and the disparity between the shore and the rest of NJ.
agree. That 3 bucks and change for min. is a joke.

Make it at LEAST $5 and change.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Not that they will change anything... but the airport needs to be $25 take home min too. I'd take any crap ride out of there if I knew I was gonna get $25 min.
yup. that too.

Yesterday I had a juicy 2.5X from Nyack to EWR. juicy.

instant ping once I arrived. United attendant to Elizabeth for 5 bucks. hahaha OMG.

Can you imagine waiting at the Q for 2 hours and you get this fare. $5 buck trip to Elizabeth. hahaha

insane.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Not that they will change anything... but the airport needs to be $25 take home min too. I'd take any crap ride out of there if I knew I was gonna get $25 min.
Airport should be shore rate, and no LINE/POOL out of the airport.

From what I've observed, air travelers are not as price sensitive as many of our other passengers. Most of my airport runs are either business travelers getting reimbursed or upper middle class people at either end of a four or five figure vacation. Both of these two demographics would pay shore rate for their Uber and barely notice, and still end up saving money over a yellow cab or long-term parking.

I can't for the life of me understand Uber's business logic in dropping the EWR base rate all the way down to match non-shore rate. Remember, airport rate was same as shore for a while before they dropped it down with the January 2016 rate cut.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts

We had a lot of downtime and the rides were fewer and further between but we were paid fairly. There were plenty of nights when I put in 6 hours and earned less than $100 but I also didn't put any miles on my car.
But most weeknights I could expect to do at least one ride from New Brunswick into midtown which paid me $100. If I got nothing else that night I was happy with that. But there was something else that we had back in 2014 that we don't have anymore and that's respect. It's hard to put a price on respect but to me it has value.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
This is for the old school drivers (like myself). Remember when you were able to make money driving for Uber? I want to see stories or pictures of some money making rides. Old surges or even old rates that worked for us.
Even some good weeks or weekends. Let's see what you guys got! UBER ON!!
Hey pal, my head aches when thinking about the good ole days, if Uber wasn't in such a hurry to grow volume on cheap fares, this board would not be here,jmo

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
I wasn't even driving as far back as some of you. I started with Uber in Aug. of 2016. Even then, when the rates at been cut the Jan. before, I was driving full time and grossing $1,200/week. In a rental thru Uber's deal with Enterprise, and doing at least 75 rides/week and the rental would end up costing me less than $20/week plus gas.

Even after Uber stopped the bonus for rentals in Jan. 2017, I was still doing OK. Making the rental payment so losing an additional $215/week, but still doing well.

Then up front pricing began, and surge was suppressed. And it got harder and harder to make any money. Uber kept claiming our earnings wouldn't be affected, but they were... tremendously.

Travis was a mean-spirited frat boy. Dara is a genius, ambitious, psychopath. I don't know what will happen to Uber, but I can see what will happen to drivers.

If/when the driverless cars go fully into the rotation, they will be handling the corporate accounts, airport runs, and some of the longer rides from middle-class neighborhoods. Human drivers in their own cars will be left with the supermarket runs, the high crime neighborhoods, the college kids, additional stops, and bar closings. They're not going to want to have to worry about drug runs on additional stops or having the cars they're paying for the maintenance of being out of commission because spills, puke, p*SS, and sh*t have to be professionally cleaned before they can go to the next pickup.

I think my extended waitlisting was a gift. I miss some of the more fun times of the work itself, but now I think almost every aspect of that has been overshadowed by the corporate greed. I will miss flying around feeling like I was riding in a rodeo or something on Thanksgiving Eve or NYE, but other than that, I've pretty much finished the detox process.

I just like this forum. You folks. Well, most of you. Some more than others. Still others I like better on Ignore. You guys are harder to quit! LOL

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
2 of my top 5 weeks actually occurred this year. Eagles parade week and a snowstorm

My best week was in March 2017, a snowstorm and St Patrick's day

New Years Eve week 2015-2016 was good, then 4th of July 2016

I make about $200 more a week thanks to upfront pricing because I always go the long way. I've also become a smarter driver because I learned which areas and times produce long rides. There's also a lot more volume as more people are using Uber now than 3 years ago. There were times I'd go an hour without a ping in New Brunswick during the day, and there were maybe only 5 other drivers on the rider app in the area. There also were college students who hadn't even heard of Uber; I'd put up flyers with my promo code at the Rutgers campus and someone would ask me "what is Uber". I'd drive to Philly and usually get no pings in south Jersey

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
...If/when the driverless cars go fully into the rotation, they will be handling the corporate accounts, airport runs, and some of the longer rides from middle-class neighborhoods. Human drivers in their own cars will be left with the supermarket runs, the high crime neighborhoods, the college kids, additional stops, and bar closings. They're not going to want to have to worry about drug runs on additional stops or having the cars they're paying for the maintenance of being out of commission because spills, puke, p*SS, and sh*t have to be professionally cleaned before they can go to the next pickup.

I think my extended waitlisting was a gift. I miss some of the more fun times of the work itself, but now I think almost every aspect of that has been overshadowed by the corporate greed. I will miss flying around feeling like I was riding in a rodeo or something on Thanksgiving Eve or NYE, but other than that, I've pretty much finished the detox process.

I just like this forum. You folks. Well, most of you. Some more than others. Still others I like better on Ignore. You guys are harder to quit! LOL
Driverless cars have a long way to go before they become a reality. Not just from a technical standpoint. Just developing that level of Technology itself is a massive challenge. I have friends who graduated (with engineering degrees) from the best universities in India and now work in the US, and when we last met, we were discussing about this topic and it's clear that driverless cars are at least two decades away at a bare minimum. That's level 5 autonomy I'm talking about.

Then there's the issue of capital, and maintenance. Until now, Uber's business model pretty much banks on the fact that many full time drivers are either unemployable anywhere else so they have to do this, or that they do not even correctly know how much they are earning net. Many of them buy late model cars, drive them into the ground, pick up traffic tickets, watch their insurance rates shoot up, and then get kicked out by uber. End of the day, they have little to no earnings, a highly depreciated car and Sky High insurance rates. Once they come to their senses, a new wave of fools start driving for Uber full time and the cycle continues. Rinse and repeat.

Uber is pretty happy with this business model, they will not spend billions on Driverless cars. Now one can argue.... but they won't have to pay drivers, the fact is competition will force prices down to the extent that not paying drivers will become a moot point.

Travis was a psychopath, calling him mean-spirited is an understatement. He was much worse than that. Dara... I don't know. One thing I do know, is that Uber has been very lucky. Despite all the scandals, their main competitor, their only practical competitor lyft is run by a bunch of morons who have failed at every opportunity to increase market share.

Anyway, my final take is that Uber is a good part time gig, but just for those doing it part-time. Decent money, no boss, plus flexibility. Of course this is assuming you're driving a fully depreciated car that's good on gas. Also assuming you only use destination filter or drive only surges at 1.8 times the base rate or higher. That's why I said part-time. Then it's good. Anything more than that, you can do much better with your time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts