Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/25/1...ar-red-light-december-contrary-company-claims

Last December, a self-driving Uber was caught on camera running a red light in San Francisco, shortly after the vehicles began testing on the roads. While Uber claimed at the time that a driver was at fault, a report from The New York Times claims that the car was in error.

The New York Times cites two company employees and internal company documents that reveal that the mapping programs guiding the vehicle in question failed to recognize six traffic lights, which allowed it to roll through a red light last December.

They can't even get the maps right (as if we didn't know this from their shit in-app maps anyway). wow...

Also, as a reminder, the reason they didn't want to play ball with the California DMV is b/c it would require them to disclose exactly how many times the systems fail and a driver has to take over. Arizona has no such requirement. They don't want investors/the public to see just how incapable the technology truly is.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why couldn't the cameras just "see" the red light? So they're just relying on old mapping data? Last time I checked, roads and intersections can change quit often. Here in Redmond they're doing a major renovation and changing a one way street to a two way. Markings all over the road have been removed, orange cones everywhere, street side parking is now a lane to drive in despite still having the parking stall marks on the ground. I'd love to see a SDC try to navigate it lol.

Oh wait, we're just going to have "remote operators" (where exactly? india? philippines? some other low labor cost area with an abundance of english speaking people with familiarity of local US laws and roads?) that will drive your car safely for you! Doesn't that make you feel warm and safe inside? Some guy you've never met will have remote control of your car. And I'm sure this guy will be paid really well to ensure he cares about his job right? /s

1 - 3 of 3 Posts