Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to UP but long time lurker. I'll be relocating to the Denver area in the next month. I've been driving for over a year, but have been full time because I'm in between jobs right now. I'm a low-time commercial pilot preparing to take my flight instructor exam in the next 1-2 months which will be my "real" job afterwards. So for the time being driving for Uber is my full time job (yeah I know).

Anyways, I'm pretty successful in my current market. I have a 4.95 and generally average $20/hr before expenses.

I do know that a medical exam is required and the car needs to be reg'd in CO. Other than that, what are some things I should know getting started in Denver? What can I expect for income (given I put in the time/effort/drive smart)?

I plan on selling my current car, and renting from Hertz temporarily. If I can make what I'm making here, the weekly payments won't be a problem and it'd outweigh putting miles on my own car anyways.

I know a lot of you probably don't like the sound of another driver entering the market, but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I hear ya. I'll be relocating to Colorado Spring's for my next assignment shortly after I get back from deployment in August. I drove part time in Honolulu, HI for 2.5 years and I'm not sure if I will sign back up again.
I to am curious about the market there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
<shrugs> Everybody's gotta make a living.

I don't know how many rideshare drivers we have here - I've heard everything from 1k to over 4k. Uber's not telling. But it's pretty competitive. I don't think that you're going to get a lot of input as to sweet spots but you might get some clues reading this forum.

I've been driving since Dec, and have about 800 rides with a 4.96 rating. I'm still a newbie.

A lot of drivers run both Uber and Lyft. Maybe it's just me, but Uber seems to work better. I have had a few nights (I have a day job) where the pickings are slim, but mostly I end up with back-to-back rides. I've had issues with the Lyft app, but that might have been my old phone. Since I got the new one, I haven't been slow enough on Uber to need to switch to Lyft.

My car's only good enough for uberX/Pool. I consider $20/hr gross to be minimum - if I drive a couple of hours and don't hit $40, I go home. However, I tend to work peak hours and generally average $30+ gross. Even after taxes, car washing, and fuel, it's still probably better than retail. Our CTBs are widely variable. Some weeks, it's $4.50; some, it's $10.50.

Denver is spread out. You're going to put on mileage. I live outside the common surge areas and the CTB zone, so I spend mileage and time getting closer into the areas where I'm more likely to be busy. If you can afford to live closer to downtown, it would save you some time. However, our economy is good, and the neighborhoods that support rideshare drivers are the ones in which riders can afford to take Uber, rather than needing to drive. It also means that you get a bunch of entitled millennials.

Your biggest challenge is likely to be the downtown grid. We have a high percentage of one-way streets, and the highway/railroad cuts the CBD in two, creating some really interesting routes. The grid is also set on a 45 degree angle to north-south, and we have places like where 16th street becomes 30th Ave. It's not for the novice to navigate. The degree of difficulty is increased by the GPS being variable downtown.

I think I've nattered on enough. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
633 Posts
When I first started in December 2015 I joined this board and just read up on stuff . Took what some people said and then molded their tactics or ideas to fit how I wanted to work . There were a few AWESOME posters that were really helpful when I First started out and their posts were awesome and informative . Most of the really helpful knowledgeable posters are gone , run away by a lot of the tin foil hat posts lol ( KevRyde and R44KDEN ) and it's mostly people coming on here to complain about stuff , however there is still some good knowledge to be learned . I don't think anyone is going to come on here and give you a ton of help in your post it's best to do some Google searches, watch some youtube videos , and read through some past posts to get a good idea on how to make this gig work for you

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
From my experience: Very seasonal, and demand fluctuates highly. When demand is high - like summer weekends, Broncos games, events in town (festivals, fun runs, conventions), then it's VERY high demand and can surge on and off for hours.

When it's low - like holidays, winters, non-business travel weeks, then it's VERY low with crummy rides and few requests.

Be available and maximize the good periods, and find something else to do during the low demand periods, thus your hourly working rate will be high.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I don't think it's hard to gross $20/hr in Denver, but the rental might make that harder with the acceptance rate requirements.

I'd recommend not using uber nav. It really struggles downtown and in boulder. It tried to send me down a pedestrian mall and its set others the wrong way on a one way.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
If you do lyft in Denver and start week 1 with the rental you will regret it. You'll constantly be scrounging for fares that are worse than a coin flip for profitability.

Read the lyft DIA page, especially the "peak times" chart. Spend some time in the pig pen (or not, it can suck waiting) and ask the other drivers there for tips. Read every single thread in the forums you can.

You can make okay money, but as others have mentioned it can be hit or miss AND seasonal. Have other options.

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
If you do lyft in Denver and start week 1 with the rental you will regret it. You'll constantly be scrounging for fares that are worse than a coin flip for profitability.

Read the lyft DIA page, especially the "peak times" chart. Spend some time in the pig pen (or not, it can suck waiting) and ask the other drivers there for tips. Read every single thread in the forums you can.

You can make okay money, but as others have mentioned it can be hit or miss AND seasonal. Have other options.
Don't ask pig pen drivers for tips that's a bad idea. You'll findgood tips on this forum though.
Here's a basic tactic for lyft weekly bonuses while making good hourly. Find good spots for dia destination filters, check airline schedules to get an idea of when you'll score rematches. And pound out numbers downtown but make profitable trips the priority. You'll have to work Friday and Saturday nights to make the bonus.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Don't ask pig pen drivers for tips that's a bad idea. You'll findgood tips on this forum though.
Here's a basic tactic for lyft weekly bonuses while making good hourly. Find good spots for dia destination filters, check airline schedules to get an idea of when you'll score rematches. And pound out numbers downtown but make profitable trips the priority. You'll have to work Friday and Saturday nights to make the bonus.
so asking about black/suv or lux/lux suv is out of the question

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I hear ya. I'll be relocating to Colorado Spring's for my next assignment shortly after I get back from deployment in August. I drove part time in Honolulu, HI for 2.5 years and I'm not sure if I will sign back up again.
I to am curious about the market there.
In case you didn't know, Colorado Springs is one of Uber's cash markets. So prepare yourself for that, if you decide to drive down there. Otherwise, you can always drive up to Denver to work. How much longer do you have left over there? Stay safe!

·
Registered
832 Posts
In case you didn't know, Colorado Springs is one of Uber's cash markets. So prepare yourself for that, if you decide to drive down there. Otherwise, you can always drive up to Denver to work. How much longer do you have left over there? Stay safe!
Ohgod I almost forgot about that "experiment" - is that still going on in the Springs? I remember when that launched there is a thread about it somewhere...

Here.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
In case you didn't know, Colorado Springs is one of Uber's cash markets.
That's good to know. Thank you for that. I wonder why Uber chose that market to test.
Otherwise, you can always drive up to Denver to work.
I might drive up there to get the feel of it. In Honolulu, I have always had an edge over none military driver's because I have base access. I'm kinda hoping it will be the same in CS. I love the Western half of Colorado. It's beautiful.

My wife was there when CS had the recent hail storm. It busted our windshield on our Outback and dented our hood. Oh well, I guess that's what insurance is for.
How much longer do you have left over there?
Just a few weeks now. We don't have an exact date yet because flights are tough to get in and out of here. We should be back in Kuwait in the middle of July. I'm hoping to be in CS sometime mid August.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
That's good to know. Thank you for that. I wonder why Uber chose that market to test.
I might drive up there to get the feel of it. In Honolulu, I have always had an edge over none military driver's because I have base access. I'm kinda hoping it will be the same in CS. I love the Western half of Colorado. It's beautiful.

My wife was there when CS had the recent hail storm. It busted our windshield on our Outback and dented our hood. Oh well, I guess that's what insurance is for.

Just a few weeks now. We don't have an exact date yet because flights are tough to get in and out of here. We should be back in Kuwait in the middle of July. I'm hoping to be in CS sometime mid August.
well I hope the time goes by quickly for you and your family. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I'm more than happy to answer what I can but for now, just concentrate on getting home safely!

·
Super Moderator
6,458 Posts
Hello, new to UP but long time lurker. I'll be relocating to the Denver area in the next month. I've been driving for over a year, but have been full time because I'm in between jobs right now. I'm a low-time commercial pilot preparing to take my flight instructor exam in the next 1-2 months which will be my "real" job afterwards. So for the time being driving for Uber is my full time job (yeah I know).

Anyways, I'm pretty successful in my current market. I have a 4.95 and generally average $20/hr before expenses.

I do know that a medical exam is required and the car needs to be reg'd in CO. Other than that, what are some things I should know getting started in Denver? What can I expect for income (given I put in the time/effort/drive smart)?

I plan on selling my current car, and renting from Hertz temporarily. If I can make what I'm making here, the weekly payments won't be a problem and it'd outweigh putting miles on my own car anyways.

I know a lot of you probably don't like the sound of another driver entering the market, but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Welcome to the forum! Just remember, everyday when you're walking down the street, everybody that you meet, has an original point of view.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't think it's hard to gross $20/hr in Denver, but the rental might make that harder with the acceptance rate requirements.

I'd recommend not using uber nav. It really struggles downtown and in boulder. It tried to send me down a pedestrian mall and its set others the wrong way on a one way.
The other thing to consider is that Uber decides how much we are paid AND it does not directly correlate to what the pax pays, so they should not decide the route taken, except maybe for the shared rides. I've had rides where the route displayed when I pick someone up was the longer but faster route on the highway, but then it tried to direct me a route that was shorter, but took longer - through town. I use google maps. More reliable and np ulterior motive. Uber cab and will make more money any way they can.

·
12,742 Posts
So I got a ride down to Colorado Springs the other night. I went in to look at my options and set my destination filter and saw this little toggle button. Apparently cash rides is still a thing. What pissed me off is it kept turning on by itself! Insane
Font Screenshot Material property Circle Rectangle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts