Uber Drivers Forum banner

Register the dashcam with Uber?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Dashems? Why, in fact I do like Daschunds.

Votes: 1 5.3%
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Now you're just being a Massengill contrarian like @Demon.

I'm quoting what Uber said. I also said I'm skeptical of anything Uber/Lyft say.

To quote V.P. Cheney: GFY.
I know facts are hard. Being inept I imagine even harder. Go "me too" elsewhere dork.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Now you're just being a Massengill contrarian like @Demon.
Man, trying to have a discussion with that guy is like talking to a 3 year old. I can sum up every one of is debates in 4 words in 14 characters.

"Nuh -uh." "Yeah-huh"

The guy will cite an article/web page that proves him wrong and he will deny what the article says. Could you imagine being stuck in a car with him for an hour? I'd drive off a bridge.

Whe
Supposedly if you have it registered they will ask you to upload dashcam footage.
I had an issue year and a half ago. The investigator had viewed my footage from my Google cloud. She gave several options to get the footage to her.

This is at best a feel good "look how much we care" type of thing. I'm not registering mine for a while. I'm curious to see how this bites the drivers in the ass. You know it will at some point.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
So now we have an option to register our dashcam with Uber and it notifies the rider. My dashcam, the Coxpal is a pretty obvious dashcam but I do drive during the night and many pax are pretty drunk so might not notice it.

My state doesn't require that pax are notified. Do you think it is best to have the cam registered or not?

Potential upsides of registry:
- Uber might ask for dashcam footage after complaint against me instead of trusting paxhole.
- Paxholes might cancel ride ahead of time if they don't like camera
- Paxholes might behave

Potential downsides of registry:
- Paxholes might still take ride but notice it where they otherwise wouldn't and downrate
- Pax may not be as open in discussion if they think they are recorded leading to dull rides
- Dashcam recordings of incidents may be overwritten and then unable to be supplied on request due to bad timing, thus leading to increased suspicion.

Forgive me for misspelling dog breeds. I'm a cat person.
Even if you're in a state that "requires pax to be notified", the app tells the pax with a big box that the driver has video/audio recording enabled for everyone's safety.

It's nothing to be concerned about.

Register your dashcam, so that Uber can be in compliance with any applicable state laws. You're better of doing it rather than not, because if you don't register it - and the state law requires consent - then you'll get deactivated faster than someone who denies a service dog.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
It's nothing to be concerned about.
You're probably right, but I am going to wait. When has uber ever done ANYTHING that was strictly in the best interest of the driver? They almost always have an ulterior motive, I can't imagine what it could be here but I'm willing a while nonetheless. What concerns me is why wouldn't uber just warn every pax on every ride and offer every driver the opportunity to upload video?
This is why I'm waiting.

Register your dashcam, so that Uber can be in compliance with any applicable state laws.
Not my problem. It's up to Uber to comply with any laws they have to. Plus, if this was the case, they could comply without me registering my cam. They could just post a warning on every ride.

I will worry about the laws to which I have to comply.

if you don't register it - and the state law requires consent - then you'll get deactivated faster than someone who denies a service dog.
I have doubts the notification in app legally satisfies the law.

What if it's a 3rd part ride? They never see the app or warning.

Multiple passenger ride?

If 3 people get in, only one person has had the opportunity to see the notification and therfore give consent.

5 plus years, my camera is in plaon veiw. I've never had a sign posted. I do have some in my glove box, if it came down to it, they would magically appear posted in my car with photographic proof they were always posted.

only had two people ever express discomfort with being recorded. Both were in the 1st few months when uber was still new here.

😆🤣😂 I realize this makes me sound a little paranoid, I'm not.
I'm just don't see the benefit. I'll wait until Uber's true motive here becomes obvious and then reevaluate my decision.

·
5,856 Posts
Maybe Uber is just tired of refunding riders and will use the DashCam footage to start deactivating the scammer riders.

😴💤💤💤💤...and then I woke up.

I have not registered mine. I have submitted footage to Uber in the past via a link to a private Youtube video and I know they watched it by the view count going up. I was also refunded the money from the scamming rider.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
You're probably right, but I am going to wait. When has uber ever done ANYTHING that was strictly in the best interest of the driver? They almost always have an ulterior motive, I can't imagine what it could be here but I'm willing a while nonetheless. What concerns me is why wouldn't uber just warn every pax on every ride and offer every driver the opportunity to upload video?
This is why I'm waiting.

Not my problem. It's up to Uber to comply with any laws they have to. Plus, if this was the case, they could comply without me registering my cam. They could just post a warning on every ride.

Multiple passenger ride?

If 3 people get in, only one person has had the opportunity to see the notification and therfore give consent.

5 plus years, my camera is in plaon veiw. I've never had a sign posted. I do have some in my glove box, if it came down to it, they would magically appear posted in my car with photographic proof they were always posted.

only had two people ever express discomfort with being recorded. Both were in the 1st few months when uber was still new here.

I'm just don't see the benefit. I'll wait until Uber's true motive here becomes obvious and then reevaluate my decision.
In Florida it's 100% legal to put up a VIDEO (but not audio) security camera anywhere without the expectation of privacy.

(2) A person commits the offense of video voyeurism if that person:
(a) For his or her own amusement, entertainment, sexual arousal, gratification, or profit, or for the purpose of degrading or abusing another person, intentionally uses or installs an imaging device to secretly view, broadcast, or record a person, without that person's knowledge and consent, who is dressing, undressing, or privately exposing the body, at a place and time when that person has a reasonable expectation of privacy;

They also define Reasonable expectation of privacy, in a pretty straight forward way.

(c) "Place and time when a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy" means a place and time when a reasonable person would believe that he or she could fully disrobe in privacy, without being concerned that the person's undressing was being viewed, recorded, or broadcasted by another, including, but not limited to, the interior of a residential dwelling, bathroom, changing room, fitting room, dressing room, or tanning booth.

So in the state of Florida it's only illegal to put up cameras in a place that someone believes they can drop their pants away from prying eyes.

Thankfully Florida defined all this in a way to protect our right to put up cameras. You don't need to put up a notice either. You being in the car and potentially there to turn around (or look in the rear view mirror) makes the back of your very much at risk of that person's undressing being viewed by you... thus putting in the camera wouldn't classify as video voyeurism under the law.

Audio recording however is another can o worms as it were. In Florida you need consent from all parties to record audio.

All this being said, my advice is to record video only.

Reactions: estore009

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Do you think the guy/girl in India is going to watch your dash cam and care?

I give credit to Uber for inventing ideas to placate the uninformed who work for them. I mean that in a nice way.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Uber and Lyft will not accept or look at footage for anything less than an occurrence that’s a possible media disaster.

Registration might save you from getting carjacked or assaulted or worse. But ask yourself why you’re working for companies that didn’t take steps ahead of time to anticipate such realities.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Uber and Lyft will not accept or look at footage for anything less than an occurrence that's a possible media disaster.

Registration might save you from getting carjacked or assaulted or worse. But ask yourself why you're working for companies that didn't take steps ahead of time to anticipate such realities.
Tell them you filed a police report, and have camera footage.

They'll look every time.

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
This is why I'm waiting.

Multiple passenger ride?

Best perspective. Good post.

All risk, no reward

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Maybe Uber is just tired of refunding riders and will use the DashCam footage to start deactivating the scammer riders.

😴💤💤💤💤...and then I woke up.

I have not registered mine. I have submitted footage to Uber in the past via a link to a private Youtube video and I know they watched it by the view count going up. I was also refunded the money from the scamming rider.
What kind of rider scam?

·
5,856 Posts
What kind of rider scam?
In my case I had a lady on two separate trips a week part claim to Uber that I did not pick her up on both trips. Uber took the money from me on both trips. I supplied them with Dash cam footage of both trips. Clearly showed I picked her up at designated address, verified identity, verified drop off point and drove to and dropped her of at destination. She lied and tried to scam free rides.

Makes me wonder how many times she did this and got away with it.

How many times have you seen stories where driver said they were falsely accused and did not have dash cam footage to prove it? I think more drivers are using dash cams and this is helping dispute false claims.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If it is ever shown to be useful in getting a falsely accused driver reactivated, that would be the only way I would register.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Dash cams are important people. Otherwise it's your word against the passenger's. Guess who will Uber/Lyft listen to? Dash cam is the only way for you to prove your innocence. If Uber/Lyft refuse to watch your footage you still have the option to take them in court.

Don't listen to drivers who don't care about installing dash cams and protecting themselves. These same drivers are picking every ping they get. Whether it's 2 star or 4 star. You'll also see them working in the worst of the neighborhoods like Brownsville in Brooklyn or the Bronx. Once they get deactivated they come here crying about how they can get back on the platform and what are their options.

It's your choice if you want to register the cam or not. I personally would register. NY state is one party consent anyway. To be on the safe side those stickers on the doors are perfectly fine. If you register the cam it could be a good deterrent in potential escalations.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts