Uber Drivers Forum banner

Register the dashcam with Uber?

• Yes

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Dashems? Why, in fact I do like Daschunds.

Votes: 1 5.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So now we have an option to register our dashcam with Uber and it notifies the rider. My dashcam, the Coxpal is a pretty obvious dashcam but I do drive during the night and many pax are pretty drunk so might not notice it.

My state doesn't require that pax are notified. Do you think it is best to have the cam registered or not?

Potential upsides of registry:
- Uber might ask for dashcam footage after complaint against me instead of trusting paxhole.
- Paxholes might cancel ride ahead of time if they don't like camera
- Paxholes might behave

Potential downsides of registry:
- Paxholes might still take ride but notice it where they otherwise wouldn't and downrate
- Pax may not be as open in discussion if they think they are recorded leading to dull rides
- Dashcam recordings of incidents may be overwritten and then unable to be supplied on request due to bad timing, thus leading to increased suspicion.

Forgive me for misspelling dog breeds. I'm a cat person.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
- Dashcam recordings of incidents may be overwritten and then unable to be supplied on request due to bad timing, thus leading to increased suspicion.

Buy a bigger SD card. I have a 512gb card in my dashcam and it records on loop for about 10 days worth.

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts
So now we have an option to register our dashcam with Uber and it notifies the rider. My dashcam, the Coxpal is a pretty obvious dashcam but I do drive during the night and many pax are pretty drunk so might not notice it.

My state doesn't require that pax are notified. Do you think it is best to have the cam registered or not?

Potential upsides of registry:
- Uber might ask for dashcam footage after complaint against me instead of trusting paxhole.
- Paxholes might cancel ride ahead of time if they don't like camera
- Paxholes might behave

Potential downsides of registry:
- Paxholes might still take ride but notice it where they otherwise wouldn't and downrate
- Pax may not be as open in discussion if they think they are recorded leading to dull rides

Forgive me for misspelling dog breeds. I'm a cat person.
I did.

It's insurance for the inevitable "my driver said/did something inappropriate" accusation.

IDGAF about interactions. Pay me *****es.

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Not going there; no dashcam for me, and if I DID have one I would keep quiet about it. The invitation to register your cam is a can of worms. Comparing this to bodycams for police, when I was on the job I HATED our bodycams/dashcams and I was not alone. Ostensibly for our protection against false accusations etc they were much more likely to be used to ding the officer for nit-picking policy infractions like addressing a citizen disrespectfully (after enduring a profane rant by the citizen) not wearing your seat belt when patrolling crowded neighborhoods with a high likelihood of needing to jump out quickly - patrolling at 20 mph - or jumping out to get traffic stopped at a crash or on a traffic stop without your cover. And lord help you if you shared a video (with fellow officers) of a particularly entertaining encounter and your boss found out. The last thing never happened to me but it happened many times.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I respect your feeling concerning the bodycam. Hell, you were the law enforcement official, not me. My humble opinion however is that the benefits FAR outweigh negatives. ESPECIALLY now when anytime a cop fires his weapon there is an immediate rush to judgement by the media, far left etc. Take for instance the latest shooting in which a women was stopped for a traffic violation and everything was going normally until she sat back into her vehicle, pulled out a weapon and started firing at the officer.

Sadly, people are going to believe a phony eyewitness and the perp (if they survive). If there are no witness's your word will always be questioned. Nothing tells the truth better than a video.

I don't have a dashcam, but am considering it. If you go through old threads on here there are instances where drivers have had dashcam footage exonerating them of an accusation but UBER/LYFT refused to see it.
It appears that by registering it that instance will never happen again.

AS far as pax refusing to take your rides, I don't see that as being an issue. Most will probably not even notice it. Lately there has been a shortage of drivers so they can't be too choosy.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I respect your feeling concerning the bodycam. Hell, you were the law enforcement official, not me. My humble opinion however is that the benefits FAR outweigh negatives. ESPECIALLY now when anytime a cop fires his weapon there is an immediate rush to judgement by the media, far left etc. Take for instance the latest shooting in which a women was stopped for a traffic violation and everything was going normally until she sat back into her vehicle, pulled out a weapon and started firing at the officer.

Sadly, people are going to believe a phony eyewitness and the perp (if they survive). If there are no witness's your word will always be questioned. Nothing tells the truth better than a video.

I don't have a dashcam, but am considering it. If you go through old threads on here there are instances where drivers have had dashcam footage exonerating them of an accusation but UBER/LYFT refused to see it.
It appears that by registering it that instance will never happen again.

AS far as pax refusing to take your rides, I don't see that as being an issue. Most will probably not even notice it. Lately there has been a shortage of drivers so they can't be too choosy.
Yes, the benefits do outweigh the negatives, I don't think there is any real argument there. But we still hated them.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
What they say.

View attachment 581245

Uber lies so who really knows?
I didnt question your post but was wondering about if they would actually look at it for our sakes.
The words seem to say that they might watch footage prompted by our complaint rather than as a response to a false complaint by the pax.
If i dont want to see the person again they just get a 1*. Taking 10 minutes of my time to report a passenger for uber to do nothing to them doesnt sound like an efficient use of my time.
A pax getting a message that i have
a dashcam might stop a false accusation to begin with though

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
While not necessarily a bad thing if it helps target crime I can see the police asking Uber (1) if any drivers were in the area of a crime scene at a certain time and (2) if they had a dashcam. Before you know it Johnny Law is knocking on your door at 3AM looking to see your dashcam footage.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
While not necessarily a bad thing if it helps target crime I can see the police asking Uber (1) if any drivers were in the area of a crime scene at a certain time and (2) if they had a dashcam. Before you know it Johnny Law is knocking on your door at 3AM looking to see your dashcam footage.
Not that easy. It would probably go through channels first. I remember when we had a couple high profile murders here a few years back, Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham; detectives were looking at everything they could find including an appeal to the public for dashcam footage. They caught the guy, a local who had worked a variety of jobs including cab driver and contractor driver. (Not Uber or Lyft as far as I know) It is generally believed that he is responsible for multiple murders of college aged women in other cities as well.

Screenshot_20210327-130349_Chrome.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts
Oh yea? According to whom, exactly? Because it's not true.
According to Uber.

20210328_113039.jpg

As I said I don't know if it's true. Uber lies so much I'm very skeptical. I hope that no one here ever needs to gind out.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
According to Uber.

View attachment 581613

As I said I don't know if it's true. Uber lies so much I'm very skeptical. I hope that no one here ever needs to gind out.
That has absolutely NOTHING to do with your claim that they'll ask you to upload footage. You're talking out your ass. Always remember that neither Uber nor Lyft will ever do anything that doesn't benefit them, first and foremost. Uber is anti dashcam. THAT'S a fact. Dashcams are imperative for 1 and 1 reason only. Law Enforcement.

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts
That has absolutely NOTHING to do with your claim that they'll ask you to upload footage. You're talking out your ass. Always remember that neither Uber nor Lyft will ever do anything that doesn't benefit them, first and foremost. Uber is anti dashcam. THAT'S a fact. Dashcams are imperative for 1 and 1 reason only. Law Enforcement.
1. I'm far from an Uber apologist. I said Uber lies. Look at my post history and I've been very critical of Uber/Lyft.

2. "Share recordings" means upload footage. 🤦‍♂

This is all that comes out of my ass

giphy-7_01.gif

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
1. I'm far from an Uber apologist. I said Uber lies. Look at my post history and I've been very critical of Uber/Lyft.

2. "Share recordings" means upload footage. 🤦‍♂

This is all that comes out of my ass

View attachment 581619
Again, I'll type slower for you. You assert they will ask you for footage if something goes wrong. Footage = liability, and they know it. Nothing you've chosen to cut and paste backs up what you said.

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts
Again, I'll type slower for you. You assert they will ask you for footage if something goes wrong. Footage = liability, and they know it. Nothing you've chosen to cut and paste backs up what you said.
Now you're just being a Massengill contrarian like @Demon.

I'm quoting what Uber said. I also said I'm skeptical of anything Uber/Lyft say.

To quote V.P. Cheney: GFY.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts