Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Still waiting for my lax permit in the meantime a customer told me a trick and I wanted to know if it was legal ? Park outside of one of the major hotels while waiting for rides from customers who took a hotel shuttle in order to catch a ride ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The legality is the passenger's problem but I don't think people are doing that (taking hotel shuttle) any more. Best to be patient and wait for LAX permit.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Hey all

Still waiting for my lax permit in the meantime a customer told me a trick and I wanted to know if it was legal ? Park outside of one of the major hotels while waiting for rides from customers who took a hotel shuttle in order to catch a ride ?
Yes it's perfectly legal, just make sure you are parked legally.

Most drivers will be glad for you to take the hotel pings because they don't want them, some can be very good though. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Hey all

To my knowledge, you'd be okay doing that. If you are not entering LAX property, you do not need to display the placard. You shouldn't get LAX pings, because you are outside the geo-fence. If you do, do not accept. That's the real issue. You're so close, you may get LAX pings. I've gotten put in the cue in places I shouldn't have. If you go to LAX in any driver capacity, you need to display the placard.

Those are the rules I live by. You can go outlaw, I don't care.....

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Hey all

But don't kid yourself. That LAX permit is hardly a license to steal. The way I look at it, if I drop and it says 0-10 minutes and traffic isn't too bad I'll stay. Outside of that, there's just too many games

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my second morning on the road a grown man had his momma order an uber. So I picked him up he was in a hurry and I checked the destination totally forgetting that I am not allowed to go to LAX! At a stop light it dawned on me that I screwed up big time and took this trip. So I turned to the rider and said well.... We have a problem and I am not sure how to proceed. He was cool he said what's wrong I then told him that I am not allowed to go to the airport he said I got to get to the airport so I sat quietly and thought up a idea put my phone down and agree with the guy that he was my cousin if anyone asked He said Sure and so I prayed to God dropped him off at terminal 7 and got the H out of there never again to go back without a permit

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To my knowledge, you'd be okay doing that. If you are not entering LAX property, you do not need to display the placard. You shouldn't get LAX pings, because you are outside the geo-fence. If you do, do not accept. That's the real issue. You're so close, you may get LAX pings. I've gotten put in the cue in places I shouldn't have. If you go to LAX in any driver capacity, you need to display the placard.

Those are the rules I live by. You can go outlaw, I don't care.....
Great advice thanks

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Great advice thanks
Did they send you a confirmation email? Often, they attach a printable file. You can print it, laminate it, properly display it, and legally enter LAX. I did all of that at Kinko's. I think it cost $4. You can also go to the Uber office, wait in line, and maybe get them to print one for you.......

Anyhow, welcome to uberpeople.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Well my second morning on the road a grown man had his momma order an uber. So I picked him up he was in a hurry and I checked the destination totally forgetting that I am not allowed to go to LAX! At a stop light it dawned on me that I screwed up big time and took this trip. So I turned to the rider and said well.... We have a problem and I am not sure how to proceed. He was cool he said what's wrong I then told him that I am not allowed to go to the airport he said I got to get to the airport so I sat quietly and thought up a idea put my phone down and agree with the guy that he was my cousin if anyone asked He said Sure and so I prayed to God dropped him off at terminal 7 and got the H out of there never again to go back without a permit
I did the exact same thing!!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did they send you a confirmation email? Often, they attach a printable file. You can print it, laminate it, properly display it, and legally enter LAX. I did all of that at Kinko's. I think it cost $4. You can also go to the Uber office, wait in line, and maybe get them to print one for you.......

Anyhow, welcome to uberpeople.
No I haven't received anything via email

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
My nephew has been Ubering for 3 months, and he still hasn't received that LAX. He rides dirty at the airport sometimes.
That's ok for drop offs but still a risk. I would do it if I Didnt have a permit but that's just me.

IF you "ride dirty " make sure to take down anything that makes you look like an uber including the phone and mount.
Have 1 pax sit up front and just be upfront with the pax letting them know you are doing them a favor because they didn't put in their destination.

If they want to tip you do it before the drop

1 - 20 of 45 Posts