Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a movement afoot to go after individual drivers who refuse service animals.....if you dont want to take them, you dont deserve the privilege of transporting people. You run the risk of a process server knocking on your door and handing you a summons to court.....and you have no one to blame but yourself.....better call saul!

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Somebody make my day %)

I'm plenty bullheaded enough to spend a few years in the courts bouncing allergies up to the top of the workplace disabilities list

Sudden attacks of CAN'T BREATHE / CAN'T SEE / CAN'T THINk (...and thus - *can't drive*) trump anything and everything

Why? Cause we deserve pity and respect more than another condition? NOPE~~~!!!

...why then? Oh I dunno, maybe because we
TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for those we drive, directly, and for the safety of other actors on the road??

It would be literally CRIMINAL NEGLECT TO KNOWINGLY RISK IMPAIRED DRIVING.

Drivers who know animal contact may make their eyelids swell to the size of their lips have NO RIGHT to take on unfamiliar animals on their vehicle

Public and workplace safety & criminal law trump civil discrimination regulations

Political correctness is NOT a valid defense against knowingly endangering others

Personal safety, the safety of others, and the preservation thereof, however, ARE a valid defense against a whole lotta things... (If you run for your life from a threat, for example, any jaywalking tickets are easily beatable in court)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody make my day %)

I'm plenty bullheaded enough to spend a few years in the courts bouncing allergies up to the top of the workplace disabilities list

Sudden attacks of CAN'T BREATHE / CAN'T SEE / CAN'T THINk (...and thus - *can't drive*) trump anything and everything

Why? Cause we deserve pity and respect more than another condition? NOPE~~~!!!

...why then? Oh I dunno, maybe because we
TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for those we drive, directly, and for the safety of other actors on the road??

It would be literally CRIMINAL NEGLECT TO KNOWINGLY RISK IMPAIRED DRIVING.

Drivers who know animal contact may make their eyelids swell to the size of their lips have NO RIGHT to take on unfamiliar animals on their vehicle

Public and workplace safety & criminal law trump civil discrimination regulations

Political correctness is NOT a valid defense against knowingly endangering others
If you are that allergic you dont belong driving customers around. What if someone gets in that has a pet? Are you going to go blind from a severe allergy? If so, you are not physcially capable of performing the tasks of a driver. Find something else to do

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Uh-uh, friend. That's discrimination.

YOU are discriminating against MY legitimate health issue. In my workplace.

Cmon, I'm not even -tryjng- to lay that trap here... It's so glaringly obvious that theonly reason you can't see it is cause you're carrying the torch for the other side of the coin.

You can't bar me from a profession in the basis of 0.3% of potential leads being physically impossible for me (I counted; all 3 just pets, BTW)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh-uh, friend. That's discrimination.

YOU are discriminating against MY legitimate health issue. In my workplace.

Cmon, I'm not even -tryjng- to lay that trap here... It's so glaringly obvious that theonly reason you can't see it is cause you're carrying the torch for the other side of the coin.

You can't bar me from a profession in the basis of 0.3% of potential leads being physically impossible for me (I counted; all 3 just pets, BTW)
Show me case law where you would win based on your position and I will capitulate

·
Registered
143 Posts
Why is the only answer to a problem "find something else to do or you knew before you started"? I fully agree we need to carry service animals. A simple paper from Adieu's doctor should take care of that problem concerning not being able to carry service animals. In most if not all states, employeers are required to make accomidations for disabilities. Contractors have the same abilites and I would consider extreme aleriges a disability with doctor instructions to avoid. If you cannot provide medical documentation stating your inability to carry or be around service animals, then you must provide transportation or face some very bad consequences!

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
So Uber / Lyft is just going to hand out the drivers personal info because some random person says they were refused service because of an animal?

not likely.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Uber / Lyft is just going to hand out the drivers personal info because some random person says they were refused service because of an animal?

not likely.
no...your license plate is public information and your information can be released with a proper legal request.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Precedent?? Seriously?

Show me pre-inception precedent for emancipation....desegregation.... Women's equality.... Human rights jn general? Oh, and last but not least, FOR ADA?????

Precedent exists because it got created once upon a time. Before that? No precedent.

Ever read the bible, or whatever ancient holy source your culture or religion of choice revere? PRE precedent, no human rights equality or ada there. Then came stuff like rights, but only for male citizens aka landowners. Then citizenship for wider groups....and so on.

Precedent expands and grows with time. And changes, too

Heck tomorrow some dude could fight the city of Long Beach municipal code of infinite misdemeanors up to the supreme court, and their trying to to get out of a criminal shirt-changing-inside-vehicle charge could suddenly morph into the precedent for the inalienable human right of shirt-swapping... Or even of public buttnekkidness.

That's how case law works.

Also: case law doesn't mean jack if you take it up a level higher than the source ruling.

Stuff fets to supreme court, somebody there has a strange day, and suddenly voila landscape CHANGED.
That is what I thought...have a nice day

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you ever personally been successful getting info using that method?
Personally? No...but I have worked for insurance companies that use public information requests to get the information so they can track a scofflaw. Its also used by skip tracers to find your information. Believe me, its easier than you think to get the information

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
Personally? No...but I have worked for insurance companies that use public information requests to get the information so they can track a scofflaw. Its also used by skip tracers to find your information. Believe me, its easier than you think to get the information
Yes, an insurance company can get the info... but they will NOT share it with anybody.

Skip tracers? Insurance companies?? how exactly will they come into play here?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, an insurance company can get the info... but they will NOT share it with anybody.

If you dont believe that an ADA advocate will not be able to get your information you are living under a rock. I look forward to the suits being filed because it is going to be interesting to see how this issue is resolved

·
Registered
143 Posts
I still think medical documents would take care of this problem.

Federal Law Prohibits Discrimination Of Breed,Size,Training Level Or Age Of Any Emotional Support Or Service Dog, Emotional support dogs do not have to be trained to perform any specific task. Service dogs can be trained by their owners or in any other manner the owner desires.

People With Service Animals Must Be Allowed Access To All Public Accommodations. This right takes precedence over all state and local laws which might otherwise prohibit animals in those places such as Stores, Malls, Restaurants, Hotels/Resorts, Airlines,Cruises, Taxi cabs, Buses just to name a f

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Why is the only answer to a problem "find something else to do or you knew before you started"? I fully agree we need to carry service animals. A simple paper from Adieu's doctor should take care of that problem concerning not being able to carry service animals. In most if not all states, employeers are required to make accomidations for disabilities. Contractors have the same abilites and I would consider extreme aleriges a disability with doctor instructions to avoid. If you cannot provide medical documentation stating your inability to carry or be around service animals, then you must provide transportation or face some very bad consequences!
PROVIDE! Exactly.... Nobody's saying kick anybody to kerb in the sahara desert at 4am.

And nobody says YOU have to handle close proximity to an animal personally

JUST that you gotta facilitate solutions (which U/L generally do, via all y'all legally terrified folk), and possibly look into options if that most obvious one falls thru

It's sort of like when their model of wheelchair can't fit in your model or vehicle....it might've been a HUGElegal liability but fortunately, U/L have a variety of vehicles, so suddenly all ya gotta do is help facilitate a setup with a vehicle that fits and a driver who can

Its like BATHROOMS - some number of regular stalls are suddenly A-OK when a smaller number of wheelchair stalls is added.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just like the bathroom issue with transgenders, many of these "I claim this or that" laws will sooner or later make it up the judicial cycle until they are better defined and certifiable. Below is a quote from the service animal registration site clearly showing anyone can claim anything in 50+ states. Until better certified, we will all be facing / fighting the system.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We expect and hope that you will use this registry as intended and in a responsible and respectful manner. Registration is conducted under the honor system and we are not required to verify any disability or review any documentation to verify any disability, nor does any law require you to register, any individual found to abuse this registry will be expelled from the registry. The registry is not intended to be a certification process and we do not judge the proficiency of our registrants in any way, and nor would that be necessary under the law. Of course, we recognize that under the law you are allowed to train your own animal and we can not be responsible or liable for the actions of dog owners or their dogs either online or offline. Please obey all laws as they apply to your situation.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Yes, an insurance compadon't botheran get the info... but they will NOT share it with anybody.

It's a rather basic "remake the world to my convenience" fantasy, don't bother

He's seeing SA units or Commissars hounding his opponents and destroying their lives for daring to disagree, as he watches with glee

Ahhh...youth! It's almost nostalgic, really

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Just like the bathroom issue with transgenders, many of these "I claim this or that" laws will sooner or later make it up the judicial cycle until they are better defined and certifiable. Below is a quote from the service animal registration site clearly showing anyone can claim anything in 50+ states. Until better certified, we will all be facing / fighting the system.
Definitely! Nowadays, is anybody even sure whether "my fluid gender identity shifts towards the feminine when my bladder hurts" is the new fakeservicedog, a crude bur protected politically incorrect t statement, or just your basic business - as - usual misdemeanor?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can see both sides of this problem. Do not allow my own animal in my car. Until the "liberal laws" include some type of medical certification, we will each have to sail our own boats in our desired direction and face the winds of incomplete or non-logical laws as they arrise.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts