Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a great Tuesday night this week when I stopped southbound at the traffic lights on South Dowling St waiting to turn right into Fitzroy Street.
I know this is a red light intersection but there only 2 cars in front of me turning right.
After a long wait which seemed like 2 minutes we get the green arrow. Ist car slowly takes off and the taxi in front of me stalls, but goes through on the change from green to orange.
I figure that I have 2 seconds to get to the Start of the intersection.
But alas the camera goes off and I am facing a whopping $490 fine.
This will be my 1st fine in 20 years and 3500 jobs driving for Uber.
Do you think it is worth appealing the fine?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
I was having a great Tuesday night this week when I stopped southbound at the traffic lights on South Dowling St waiting to turn right into Fitzroy Street.
I know this is a red light intersection but there only 2 cars in front of me turning right.
After a long wait which seemed like 2 minutes we get the green arrow. Ist car slowly takes off and the taxi in front of me stalls, but goes through on the change from green to orange.
$490 ?

If you haven't had a fine in 10 years or more i beleive you can get a pass if you send a letter and explain was accident etc

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
When and if you get the fine,
Appeal through SDRO and you will get off as you don't have fines for last 10 years

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Yes it’s worth trying if you haven’t got a fine in over 10 years, but wait until you get the mail, sometimes you might be lucky not to get the infringement notice at all due to technical issues. Red light cameras suck and $490 is crazy, used to be $415 fours years back, didn’t know they have gone up this much

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
It's actually $439, I got one 2 weeks ago on a red arrow light, last time I got done they were $298, if only our pay went up as much, cash cows farken hate them!

One thing I wish that would exist, is that for all transport drivers, getting demerit points back should be less than 3.5 years,(possibly 1.5 before they return), if there was a way to prove being a full-time driver and have some leniency with the term for demerit points as such, as we're spending more time on the road we'd be more prone to getting busted, I know I have only got 6 to go for a while now.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Has anyone got a redlight fine on a red arrow light, in a two line street, where there’s no left lane must turn left obligation?

So what basically happens is you are in left lane, it’s red arrow to left but as you go straight and the camera flashes.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
i think it is $438 and 3 points never cross that white line until you are clear, when you get the fine in the mail call them and you will get off with a clean record . cabs are sh.....t they dont care even if it didnt stall they move off the mark so slow they give me the shi....ts ,i see them stop anywhere at anytime cut in front of you they think they own the road, but now they are starving !!! one called me an uber slave the other day and i said to him i just got one of your fares hahaha,i saw a heap of them doing it tough last night f .... them and every trip compensates the plate owners i think that is wrong.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just tell them it was a medical emergency one of your pack got a asthma attack and she was pregnant as well and you have to drive to the hospital after giving him/her first aid. If they ask any prove tell them the pic on camera over red light is the proof that you were in emergency.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Has anyone got a redlight fine on a red arrow light, in a two line street, where there's no left lane must turn left obligation?

So what basically happens is you are in left lane, it's red arrow to left but as you go straight and the camera flashes.
I had one last year, Cleveland St & South Dowling st junction heading east. I was the first car on 2nd lane and no cars on the 1st lane. Green arrow left and red straight. It was very quiet, no cars around. I changed my mind and turned left, basically from 2nd lane. Camera flashed and pretty sure it was for me.
Luckily I didn't get a fine, I think they might have reviewed and let me off.
Same could happen to you?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I had one last year, Cleveland St & South Dowling st junction heading east. I was the first car on 2nd lane and no cars on the 1st lane. Green arrow left and red straight. It was very quiet, no cars around. I changed my mind and turned left, basically from 2nd lane. Camera flashed and pretty sure it was for me.
Hope so.. my case happened y.day at corner of Sydenham Rd vs Victoria Rd, towards Princes Hwy. I doubt that I will receive a fine however the flash on a very quiet morning during double demerit weekend itself disappoints a lot.

So no mess with the cameras anymore

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had a similar case.
I was turning right from Macquarie street onto the M1. There was police EVERYWHERE blocking off Macquarie street because of vivid.

I think I turned right on the red arrow, however no cops stopped to book me. I wasnt sure if I left on green, red or orange but I do remember it was red when I was at the end of the right turn. There is no camera at this intersection.

Will cops send a fine in the mail even though they didnt pull me over? I imagine they were all too focused on pedestrians and didnt see me run the light if I did at all.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I had a similar case.
I was turning right from Macquarie street onto the M1. There was police EVERYWHERE blocking off Macquarie street because of vivid.

I think I turned right on the red arrow, however no cops stopped to book me. I wasnt sure if I left on green, red or orange but I do remember it was red when I was at the end of the right turn. There is no camera at this intersection.

Will cops send a fine in the mail even though they didnt pull me over? I imagine they were all too focused on pedestrians and didnt see me run the light if I did at all.
They won't

red light fines don't give u double points
That's not true, red light gives you double demerits

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes u can wrriten off this fine easily but they will give you conditional if you make same mistake in 12 months from the date approved then you have to pay it it's like GOOD BEHAVIOUR
Good luck safe drive

I had the same issue on bourke and bother rd in Zetland
I haven't got anything yet

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had one last year, Cleveland St & South Dowling st junction heading east.
Man, I've been flashed doing this exact same thing, but for the Oxford and Crown St intersection heading west-bound towards city. I was in the far right lane with empty middle lane and all these taxi queuing on left lane right up to the traffic light itself.

Green left arrow goes and I made a sharp left turn crossing the lanes and making a left, then I got flashed. The taxis didn't move and I even waited for them befor making the turn.

Fingers crossed I get let off for it, as I recalled the angle in which I crossed two lanes to make a left turn makes it difficult to see my car registration plates once flash goes off. It's almost a sharp 30 degree angle..:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts