Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than make a useless thread , I decided to share a useful app that's been around since 2009 or so.

So when I was in China, I depended on Google voice to call the States because the Pang is cheap like that. Anyway, called the states for free in China and it's been good to me ever since I needed to mask my phone number. Not sure about now because of the GREAT INTERNET WALL OF CHINA keeps cracking down on US online sites being blocked/censored. So, might need a VPN connection for that.

ANYYYYYHOW,
Register for a google account and sign up for google voice for free. Fool, Get yo phone number by confirming on your mobile number. It's easy as 1, 2,3. Anyway, you got the option of downloading google voice or your better option is GOOGLE HANGOUTS.

So basically, you got your dummy phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx by google voice and you'll be using this number to make free calls to/receive whenever a PAX calls you. This way, the Uber goon will never have your phone #

I use it for UBER FOOL on the IPAD. Decent quality of calls and you can text message free. You should be able to download it for android as well.

And yes it is legitimately 100% free. Any drawbacks?? No unless you got a lot of skeletons in your closet. Remember privacy is a thing of the past.... What google collects is beyond me but I'm sure it's a lot info....

ubergoober.png

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
uber doesn't accept voip (google voice #) so u can't log in. however lyft is ok with it.
Actually they must have changed it. Updated my phone number to google voice # through cust. Service yesterday

Epic fail
Try it out. Don't knock it till you've used it. It's convenient if im picking up a dirty pax and need to call em directly on iPad. Don't need to reach for my phone or turn my attention away from front the road

·
Registered
692 Posts
uber doesn't accept voip (google voice #) so u can't log in. however lyft is ok with it.
I can verify this. Although, I thought I read somewhere on UP.net that the hub has a way to make it work.

Also, I can verify that your number is masked by Uber, unless customer leaves something in your car and wants it back. Then, Uber will send the driver the customer's REAL number. I'm not sure if they send the customer the driver's real number or not.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Uber uses different uber numbers to connect drivers and riders none of them can see the other person number, if you call after the trip is finished or canceled you can't contact the rider by that number and the rider can't contact you, you need to go throug the uber app :)

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
I can verify this. Although, I thought I read somewhere on UP.net that the hub has a way to make it work.

Also, I can verify that your number is masked by Uber, unless customer leaves something in your car and wants it back. Then, Uber will send the driver the customer's REAL number. I'm not sure if they send the customer the driver's real number or not.
They will ask you first if it's ok to give them your real number.
You have to ok it. They do this so you can make arrangements with pax. Otherwise wouldn't be able to with fake numbers

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that's pointless, they mask your number and using the Hangouts app can be a pain in the neck.
Nope, as long as your not technologically impaired.....

Piece of cake to use to replace your phone in case you don't have blue tooth or your phone is cracked. Actually it's a better substitute than reaching for your phone to text... don't you think?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've been able to use a google voice number before. Granted it was a pain in the rear when I would try to text someone because the app tries to open the native messenger and phone apps rather than google

I didn't even need to go to the hub. I just did it right in the app.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been able to use a google voice number before. Granted it was a pain in the rear when I would try to text someone because the app tries to open the native messenger and phone apps rather than google

I didn't even need to go to the hub. I just did it right in the app.
Hmm that's strange. I've never had to text on it but if I did, google hangouts is easier versus using google voice app when it comes to texting anyone.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hmm that's strange. I've never had to text on it but if I did, google hangouts is easier versus using google voice app when it comes to texting anyone.
My problem was getting the number into it... I could probably hand type it in but that's too much work so I would try to copy and paste, which wouldn't work from the driver app, so I'd have to open the regular text app to copy the number. Again, too much work.

Edit: disregard. I'm using the google voice app not hangouts.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My problem was getting the number into it... I could probably hand type it in but that's too much work so I would try to copy and paste, which wouldn't work from the driver app, so I'd have to open the regular text app to copy the number. Again, too much work.

Edit: disregard. I'm using the google voice app not hangouts.
Don't use The Google Voice APP.....

Google Hangouts will give you a better experience trust me. I'm pretty sure if most drivers used it, they'd probably stop using their cell phones. Not a lot of people use it and don't think about how useful it would be knowing you can answer an incoming call from PAX right away or receive a text from a PAX. Either way if you need to text the PAX through the APP or cell phone, you still need to input the number somewhere.

You get calls on the Ipad or text messages on the pad rather than having to glance at your phone all the time. Personally, I don't like to use my cell phone any more. And in google voice/ hangouts, you can edit the setting so the caller doesn't need to leave their name to answer the call. I know before, I had it set where callers would need to say their name before answering a call. Now they can just call just like dialing a regular phone call and waiting for a pick up.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
So did you come up with a telepathic way to automatically put the phone number in your phone key pad? Please fill us all in
Yes, I did. I am very smart.
This is what I do. Pay attention.

I push the little phone icon and it automatically dials the number for me.
Or I push the little message icon and it opens up the message screen with the number already inputted, Then I just type my message.
Never do I have to type in a phone number.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts