Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Credit: http://www.wtae.com/news/rear-facing-child-car-seat-law-in-pennsylvania/41119944
Published 1:53 PM EDT Aug 09, 2016

HARRISBURG, Pa. -Pennsylvania motorists will have to make sure car seats face backward for all children until they're 2 years old under a new state law that goes into effect this week.

The measure that becomes law Friday directs police to issue warnings for the first year, after which violations will cost $125 in fines, costs and fees.

Pennsylvania is the fourth state to enact the rear-facing child seat regulations for the youngest of children, after California, New Jersey and Oklahoma.

Backers of the new child seat rules say facing children toward the back of the car dramatically lowers their risk of death or serious injury during crashes.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation says children should remain in rear-facing seats until they reach the manufacturer's height or weight limits.

----------

Just an FYI

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I have had a few cases of small kids riding with their parents in my car. As a parent of a 2 year old, I know how important child seats are; usage, proper installation, etc. I was silently mortified when I had to drive them home.

What is an Uber driver supposed to do when a parent and small child get in their vehicle and have no child seat?
What is Uber's position on these situations?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to drive them home
You didn't have to you chose to, it's your car and this is a two-way transaction. Legally children must have car seats/boosters. From the threads I've read on here the consensus seems to be to ask if they have a car seat and let them install it. If they don't have a seat they don't get a ride. Does this happen in real life? No and I understand why you don't want to drive off on a mom and her small child at night etc.

What is an Uber driver supposed to do when a parent and small child get in their vehicle and have no child seat?
What is Uber's position on these situations?
Uber wants all drivers to follow all laws and procedures for driving

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
The other existing law is children under 4 need to be in a car seat, children 4-8 need to have a booster seat.

I got caught with this one night a) I drove 10 minutes to a restaurant b) it's a woman and 4 little kids on a cold night after dark. It pissed me off that they're trying to take advantage of me by having too many people in the car & not obey car seat laws. I did it only cause it was freezing cold out, they were little kids & I'd already driven 10 minutes out of the way. Next time I just cancel.

It's a $75 fine, so x 4 = $300, plus if I was in an accident with a 5th person in the car, I'm liable. Not worth the risk. There is trash that will try to take advantage of your pity. They need to learn the hard way that Uber is not a jitney by getting cancelled on.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other existing law is children under 4 need to be in a car seat, children 4-8 need to have a booster seat.

I got caught with this one night a) I drove 10 minutes to a restaurant b) it's a woman and 4 little kids on a cold night after dark. It pissed me off that they're trying to take advantage of me by having too many people in the car & not obey car seat laws. I did it only cause it was freezing cold out, they were little kids & I'd already driven 10 minutes out of the way. Next time I just cancel.

It's a $75 fine, so x 4 = $300, plus if I was in an accident with a 5th person in the car, I'm liable. Not worth the risk. There is trash that will try to take advantage of your pity. They need to learn the hard way that Uber is not a jitney by getting cancelled on.
Very good points made, trying to fit 5 people in the car (albeit children) is bad enough, not having car seats or boosters is just fanning the flame. But then the human aspect comes in like oh it's late, they need to get home etc. Unfortunately if you're driving you need to remain professional and cover yourself from a liability standpoint first. I understand Master's decisions here though, very tough spot to be in.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I refuse the ride - I tell the parent that it is the state law that they must be in a car seat and if we get pulled over the fine is huge. I them make them cancel the trip so they get hit with a $5 cancel fee. They wasted my time. I will not endanger there kids. (I asked a police officer by the 7-11 on the North Shore)

If they say they have a car seat and will got get it. I will gladly install it for them. I have done that lots of time and I thank the parents for being patient while we get everything in. (I don't even start the timer while I am doing it. I give good parents a break)

Since we are on the topic of stupid people. I also asked the police officer about beer in the car. I have had lots of times people try to get into the car with a beer. The police officer said that they will give the person drinking it the ticket. You may have to take a breath-a-lyzer test to show you have not been drinking. I do warn the person when they get into the car. It also depends on the person, if they look like they had a good number to begin with, I will tell them no. Don't want them falling a sleep and spilling it. (Happened once in 2400+ rides).

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Since we are on the topic of stupid people. I also asked the police officer about beer in the car. I have had lots of times people try to get into the car with a beer. The police officer said that they will give the person drinking it the ticket. You may have to take a breath-a-lyzer test to show you have not been drinking. I do warn the person when they get into the car. It also depends on the person, if they look like they had a good number to begin with, I will tell them no. Don't want them falling a sleep and spilling it. (Happened once in 2400+ rides).
In PA, there is an exception to the open container law for taxis, limos, etc:

Title 75 § 3809. Restriction on alcoholic beverages.

(a) General rule.--Except as set forth in subsection (b), an individual who is an operator or an occupant in a motor vehicle may not be in possession of an open alcoholic beverage container or consume a controlled substance as defined in the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L.233, No.64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act, or an alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is located on a highway in this Commonwealth.

(b) Exception.--This section does not prohibit possession or consumption by any of the following:

(1) A passenger in the passenger area of a motor vehicle designed, maintained or used primarily for the lawful transportation of persons for compensation. This paragraph includes buses, taxis and limousines.

(c) Penalty.--An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.

How does this apply to rideshare? Does it only apply to vehicles with a separate passenger area? I don't know.

As with all things, don't get legal advice for your business off of anonymous internet forums, consult an attorney. They can look up the case law & precedents. Either way, when you're getting pulled over & investigated by cops, your wheels are not rolling & you're not making money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts