Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Really tired of passengers saying they drive for uber and lyft and not tipping

10K views 161 replies 63 participants last post by  Slingshot@u 
#1 ·
So I thought ,a fellow uber passenger who indeed was a driver were getting along. I was literally stuck in vegas traffic last night for 1 hour trying to get into the back of venetian. I have never waited that long. He did not tip. Another similar story minus the traffic happened a couple weeks back. You know this is going to turn me into a pos non tipper. I can't tell you how many stiffs I get a Night but if you offer good service like I do I really expect to be tipped 3/4 of the time.

Do we tip servers? Do we tip car detailer? Do we tip dealers? Do we tip taxis? I mean what gives. Even if I have a bad waitress or waiter I always tip. If this keeps happening theu r gonna change me as a person and I am going to stop tipping. I can't even afford going out to eat anyways sp whatever.

I understand you all get it but just felt the need to rant and I'm having just a really really bad start to the year and it's bothering me bad, most of all because last year started this way too.

#70 ·
Just by you saying that your one of those ppl and its honestly gross dude. Your part of the problem. You complain about no tips and you don't tip. You should just stay out of the industry. We don't want you as a driver or a passenger no offense
I always tip my rideshare drivers. I used to take one to school and tip minimum 5
I totally agree; we can't even afford rideshare - let alone tipping. We take the bus 'cos the bus drivers don't expect any tips. Our pax-holes also look at us like bus drivers - that's why they don't tip us.

#6 ·
So tired of smart @Zzzzz ppl. I'm really on thin ice and can't take much more. Everyday it's just disgusting smart @zzzz ppl. Day after day after day. Half these rideshare drivers don't even pay rent and live with their parents. I'm so tired of having to work 60 hours with a 1500 rent and not have a dime. Meanwhile these punk young kids are treating this like a fun game like crazy taxi. I'm just about done with this forum to. We never get together and make a difference anyways so why am I even here anymore

#18 · (Edited)
nothing is more annoying then people in the service industry expecting tips. being a Uber driver or a waiter is a easy fun job, your not working in the ****ing coal mines getting black lung... when i was a kid working landscaping for shit pay nobody tipped me at all (okay one dude gave us a 6 pack of beer the whole summer that it) all my bros delivering pizzas would make more in less time with tips yet ***** and complain when one cheap sob would not tip. U live in America, there are rich people everywhere giving huge tips, your gonna be fine if one dude stiffs you. nobody is going hungry over one guys screwing you over. If u want to make real money get a real job! this isn't supposed to be a full time gig, its a fun relaxing thing to do after work or when you are bored or need to move to different parts of your city for your own personal reasons you can turn on the app and make a couple extra bucks on the side. I never expect any tips from my customers, I do the job because I am bored and if someone gives me a tip I am grateful, but if they dont I dont give a shit since i agreed to do the job for a set price and that is that... there are people starving in Africa, count your blessings and be happy you were born in the richest country in the world! If anything be mad at Uber for screwing you and your customers over not ur customers. Your customers dont owe u shit, your not entitled to any tips from them at all so stop acting like you are...

#21 ·
nothing is more annoying then people in the service industry expecting tips. being a Uber driver or a waiter is a easy fun job, your not working in the ing coal mines getting black lung... when i was a kid working landscaping for shit pay nobody tipped me at all (okay one dude gave us a 6 pack of beer the whole summer that it) all my bros delivering pizzas would make more in less time with tips yet * and complain when one cheap sob would not tip. U live in America, there are rich people everywhere giving huge tips, your gonna be fine if one dude stiffs you. nobody is going hungry over one guys screwing you over. If u want to make real money get a real job! this isn't supposed to be a full time gig, its a fun relaxing thing to do after work or when you are bored or need to move to different parts of your city for your own personal reasons you can turn on the app and make a couple extra bucks on the side. I never expect any tips from my customers, I do the job because I am bored and if someone gives me a tip I am grateful, but if they dont I dont give a shit since i agreed to do the job for a set price and that is that... there are people starving in Africa, count your blessings and be happy you were born in the richest country in the world! If anything be mad at Uber for screwing you and your customers over not ur customers. Your customers dont owe u shit, your not entitled to any tips from them at all so stop acting like you are...
You’re giving someone a personal, customer-friendly experience in which their lives are literally in your hands. Sometimes you’re making extra effort to get to them or at a certain time, do extra things like help them with their luggage, etc.

It’s not a simple business transaction; it’s a personal transaction in which someone is doing extra to make sure you are satisfied for an extended amount of time, not much different from why you tip a restaurant waiter and don’t tip at a fast food restaurant.

#20 ·
"Oh, you're a rideshare driver? Good. Finally I get someone who knows what a hard job this is and will tip appropriately. I have found that drivers with manners tip other drivers very well. You do tip, don't you?"

#30 ·
I get the frustration. I will say I have cut back on my tipping because my tips have gone way down. I had a rider last week tell me that she and some of her friends were talking about it. They said they are tired of every where they go they are being asked for a tip - particularly the fast food restaurants. She said she thinks it has ruined "tipping." She may be onto something. She did tip me $5 though.

#35 ·
Yes!!! Lol. I’ve had Uber and Lyft drivers… waitresses and others that rely on tips for their jobs… complain the whole ride how customers don’t tip…. And then they don’t tip. 😅. Insane.

I’ve been a passenger 3 times in an Uber and tipped 30 dollars each time. Why… because I know how happy it makes me when I get a large tip. It’s a respect thing also.

#38 ·
Yes!!! Lol. I’ve had Uber and Lyft drivers… waitresses and others that rely on tips for their jobs… complain the whole ride how customers don’t tip…. And then they don’t tip. 😅. Insane.

I’ve been a passenger 3 times in an Uber and tipped 30 dollars each time. Why… because I know how happy it makes me when I get a large tip. It’s a respect thing also.
Only place I do that at is Starbucks.

When people say they do this, do you literally give them a minute to tip you then low rate them if they don’t do them that very second? I frequently get tips from previous jobs throughout the day, even from weeks prior.
Well, to be clear they don't verbally say anything. I usually just let them out, rate and split. Yeah, maybe I'll give it a minute next time.

#36 ·
Always tip. I have taken about 20 rides with a 4.96 rating. I've told the driver I drive also about 75% of the time. Not sure why some schmuck rated me less than 5. It may have been the fact that I told him I drove, and he's been stiffed before. Figured he would downrate me and be proactive. I've done that as well in other circumstances. I started down rating upper middle class couples taking rides to the center of town where the upscale restaurants are and not tipping. One or two have been caught in the crossfire. They tipped and still received a 3. Kinda feel bad when that happens. LOL.

#49 ·
if you use these apps as labor and dont hand every driver or delivery person 10-20 cash soon as they pull up you are an A S S H O L E how dare you? scum of the earth and why would you use these services knowing how they steal from and treat labor?

cabs arent for locals or daily use they are for airports, out of towners, emergencies, if you cant afford a car you cant afford a private driver

Ive completely stopped patronizing every entity that uses these apps sans the walmart/sams club cuz I gotta eat all using an app to skirt labor laws instead of hiring locally

#55 ·
The tip or not tip issue is much more complex . Why should someone providing a service should depend on the user judgement to get paid for a service rendered ?Tips should be a way to to say thank you for going above the standard . Why tip if the user just got the standard service ? The fact is that user should pay for the service a fair amount that will satisfy the driver without having to tip .
Tips on every service business are optional, and we all know that .
If we start making the need to tip a necessity , we are just allowing UBER and Lyft to continue this game expecting that someone else’s will pay for what they already get paid but not share with drivers .

#84 ·
I don't agree.

Why tip if the user just got the standard service ?
Because they just tipped their waitress and their bartender15% for just the standard service. Not tipping tells you that you did something wrong and usually it is something egregious.

The fact is that user should pay for the service a fair amount...
They do but that amount doesn't cover the tip, much like the cost of any meal at a restaurant. You don't go to a steak dinner where the item on the menu is 25 bucks thinking 25 bucks plus 2.50 tax = 27.50 will cover your meal.

we are just allowing UBER and Lyft to continue this game
It's a game perhaps, but one that started long before rideshare companies crawled up out of the primordial ooze. This is a service profession and tips are expected. The only reason to not tip would be if the driver engages in some type of behavior that is not professional, provides poor service, etc. When a driver is stuck in an unexpected traffic jam, that definitely qualifies for a bigger than standard tip but just the 15% would be fine since so many people look at tipping as something optional when it should be, in fact, added to the bill automatically like they do in some restaurants for large parties. This is all IMO of course.

#57 ·
So I thought ,a fellow uber passenger who indeed was a driver were getting along. I was literally stuck in vegas traffic last night for 1 hour trying to get into the back of venetian. I have never waited that long. He did not tip. Another similar story minus the traffic happened a couple weeks back. You know this is going to turn me into a pos non tipper. I can't tell you how many stiffs I get a Night but if you offer good service like I do I really expect to be tipped 3/4 of the time.

Do we tip servers? Do we tip car detailer? Do we tip dealers? Do we tip taxis? I mean what gives. Even if I have a bad waitress or waiter I always tip. If this keeps happening theu r gonna change me as a person and I am going to stop tipping. I can't even afford going out to eat anyways sp whatever.

I understand you all get it but just felt the need to rant and I'm having just a really really bad start to the year and it's bothering me bad, most of all because last year started this way too.
I definitely feel you. Took 13 trip’s yesterday not one tip. You can’t let it change you as a person though. If rideshare paid us enough we wouldn’t even be thinking about tips. I personally forced myself to see it this way lol so I won’t be upset with clueless passengers

#59 ·
If you work in a tipping profession,it's shitty not to tip. I get how the 25 year old living at home,can dick around ,make 15 hr after all expenses. If apply for a job somewhere,if im 45 and the other guy is 25 but has the same experience. Should I get the job b.c I need the $ more.

#60 ·
Driving a rideshare in Vegas is kinda suck. because 90% pax usually moves around the strip which is normally between $4 and $6 in no surge but always in at least moderate or often bad traffic. Oh yeah. a number of signals and crazy pedestrians plus rough road as well. Usually I don't expect tips when outside strip. however in the strip. sometimes stuck in bad traffic for 30min or even more to make just 5 bucks is horrible. I expect some. but rarely happens sadly. I usually do 'skip the ping' to or from Strip in the traffic time. It's not worth my time. the State minimum wage is almost $10/hr. you don't have to waste your time and gas in bad traffic.

#75 ·
Once you learn the strip it’s better , I’ve never sat in traffic for 30 minutes unless of a bad accident , once you know the choke points , Easy to drive around it , also , on the strip is we’re you will find the tips , after 14 k rides as an Uber , I take the route that benefits me the most

#80 ·
Sorry but I have to agree with the post. I'm also a driver and a rider at times. I understand that driving is a service and that drivers rely on the tips along with what they make on the trip. If The driver does the basics gets me there doesn't break hard doesn't accelerate hard and doesn't take hard corners he gets five stars. It's that easy. Always throw in $1 a tip OR more if I enjoy the ride. The majority of the population just want to get somewhere it's literally that easy. As long as they get there in a safe timely manner they're happy. You have the minority that expect this or that and that's fine. They normally ask for music, for the heat up or down, Windows open close or Conversation no conversation. The passengers tend to tell you what they want. You can oblige or not.

#63 ·
A long, long time ago wifey owned a used book store.
It was just the beginning of the internet - 1990's.
I put our inventory on Amazon.

I put it on twice.
I loaded over 3k titles with appropriate prices (about $2 to $5 each) and appropriate and accurate shipping (about $1.50). So, your book would cost you about 3 to 6 bucks.
Sales were pretty good. On three thousand we sold about 200 a month.

Then I would DUPLICATE that data base and put a price of $.01 on each book. Yea, a penny. And shipping was $6.90
And, sales were pretty good.
Sales were about 200 a month.

Looking back I might have done another duplicate DB with FREE SHIPPING at a price of about $8 each.

The Net, at the end of six month on both data base sales were almost identical.
But, the TOTAL of both was almost DOUBLE what one single one was. And, it was essentially the same book for the same total price.

What's the point?
The buyer will pay - one way or another.
If the boss doesn't pay them enough to make it feasible for the worker to do the job, then there will be nobody there to serve you your cold beer and burger. Make your own ... oh, he needs to pay her more? Then you will pay an extra dollar for your beer, and an extra dollar for your burger.
OR -- you can just leave her a two dollar tip.

Either way ... the consumer pays.

My big sister, back in the 60's worked at a topless bar in Miami.
She got a paycheck every week -- that she'd sign over to the manager.
That was HIS tip for the job.

She told me later that it was either that ... or sexual favors, and that he was "disgusting" and just not worth it.

One way or another ... everybody pays.

#72 ·
Even if the idea of tipping is bullshit. It's the system we have and if you don't tip the service might suffer. The door dash guy won't pick up the no tip order,they should just pay him correctly. If you want to use the service ,you are gonna need to tip. If I am a painter,and the guy pays me $500. The other customer pay $500 plus 50 tip,im gonna work for them. Yeah,i should just charge $550,why lose $50.

#64 ·
Apologies.....I only read a few posts on the 1st page and saw that most people are not understanding why Service People are tipped. You may THINK it's for "doing a good job, going above and beyond, etc, etc"....but it's not.
According to Payscale.com, the AVERAGE pay for a service worker is $8.38 an hour. :sick: No one in this country can live on $8.38 an hour. Therefore, businesses are EXPECTING their customers to make up for their lack of pay. Other countries do not tip....but they also pay their workers a living wage. So, yes....it's either TIP service people....or demand employers pay their staff a higher wage and raise their prices for goods and services. But the way it is now, customers MAY (if they so choose) get lower prices by not tipping and not be arrested for it. If prices were higher, and you tried leaving the restaurant by only paying 85% of your bill....you might be arrested. So, unfortunately, thanks to all cheapskates everywhere....this will ALWAYS be a problem until tipping is done away with. 🤨

#71 ·
If they weren't going to tip they should've got out and walked. Then you could've turned around and got another fare. I hate these non-tippers who want front door service. Uber lyft is a luxury. You don't tip McDonald's but you would tip at a steakhouse that goes over the menu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.