Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
So I thought ,a fellow uber passenger who indeed was a driver were getting along. I was literally stuck in vegas traffic last night for 1 hour trying to get into the back of venetian. I have never waited that long. He did not tip. Another similar story minus the traffic happened a couple weeks back. You know this is going to turn me into a pos non tipper. I can't tell you how many stiffs I get a Night but if you offer good service like I do I really expect to be tipped 3/4 of the time.

Do we tip servers? Do we tip car detailer? Do we tip dealers? Do we tip taxis? I mean what gives. Even if I have a bad waitress or waiter I always tip. If this keeps happening theu r gonna change me as a person and I am going to stop tipping. I can't even afford going out to eat anyways sp whatever.

I understand you all get it but just felt the need to rant and I'm having just a really really bad start to the year and it's bothering me bad, most of all because last year started this way too.
To help increase my tips and conversations of course, I pack a cool full of sandwiches with extra lettuce of course. The old lady works in a deli so I get all the meats and sometimes fixins’. They love the sandwiches and the conversation that comes along with a good sandwich with a friend. Tipping isn’t really a problem, and if they don’t I fee that I am tipped with a new friend!

· Premium Member
19 Posts
Where did you get the idea in your head that a driver telling you that they also drive Uber and Lyft is a promise to tip, I'm a customer quite often, never occurred to me as a reason for me saying that, I tell them that to make the driver feel more comfortable driving me around, basically I'm saying hey you're a driver I'm a driver just drive normally you don't have to be overly cautious you don't have to drive 30 in a 40 mph zone, you don't have to slap on the brakes as soon as the light turns yellow, and a word about tipping, I tip when a tip is obviously due, like any other passenger I'm not going to tip with a tip is not due, for example there's major constructions at one of the intersections in my city I've had two drivers go through that section and I tell them not to, I tell them way ahead of time where to turn so we're not stuck in traffic two drivers have told me "sir I have to follow the navigation", guess what no tip,

I have one driver a few months ago I get this car I say good morning he says nothing, a few minutes later I commented on something that was happening on the intersection we were passing passing look like a fighter broke out among someone he said nothing, I asked him if he drives mornings or night he said nothing, we got to our destination he didn't say have a good day or evening or anything he said absolutely nothing so I gave him a one-star no tip, if anybody is going to say maybe he was deaf, he could clearly hear, he had a phone call come in on the trip, a quick hello and a couple words and he hung up so he can obviously hear and can obviously talk, I don't hand out tips and five stars like candy they are earned.
Did you get to and from your destination safely? Yes you did! That’s what is ultimately important. No rideshare driver has to talk to you. Stop being petty like woman. 1 star for getting you home safe and taking care of WHOLE LIFE!

· Premium Member
3,886 Posts
G
Did you get to and from your destination safely? Yes you did! That’s what is ultimately important. No rideshare driver has to talk to you. Stop being petty like woman. 1 star for getting you home safe and taking care of WHOLE LIFE!
You're the one being an ass, I don't discuss driver safety with them, I guess occasionally let them know that I am also a driver it's letting them know that they can relax and they can just drive, don't have to worry about trying to get a five-star rating, don't have to worry about getting false reports,

And why would a driver not want to know these about to run into intersection traffic hell through the construction if it can be avoided, so you actually enjoy it when you drive in the neighborhood you don't know, and you happen to drive down the street that has school traffic and you didn't know it but your passenger knew it and said nothing you appreciate that more cuz I know it's your car and you drive the way you want to.

· Registered
4 Posts
The tip or not tip issue is much more complex . Why should someone providing a service should depend on the user judgement to get paid for a service rendered ?Tips should be a way to to say thank you for going above the standard . Why tip if the user just got the standard service ? The fact is that user should pay for the service a fair amount that will satisfy the driver without having to tip .
Tips on every service business are optional, and we all know that .
If we start making the need to tip a necessity , we are just allowing UBER and Lyft to continue this game expecting that someone else’s will pay for what they already get paid but not share with drivers .
I don't agree.

Why tip if the user just got the standard service ?
Because they just tipped their waitress and their bartender15% for just the standard service. Not tipping tells you that you did something wrong and usually it is something egregious.

The fact is that user should pay for the service a fair amount...
They do but that amount doesn't cover the tip, much like the cost of any meal at a restaurant. You don't go to a steak dinner where the item on the menu is 25 bucks thinking 25 bucks plus 2.50 tax = 27.50 will cover your meal.

we are just allowing UBER and Lyft to continue this game
It's a game perhaps, but one that started long before rideshare companies crawled up out of the primordial ooze. This is a service profession and tips are expected. The only reason to not tip would be if the driver engages in some type of behavior that is not professional, provides poor service, etc. When a driver is stuck in an unexpected traffic jam, that definitely qualifies for a bigger than standard tip but just the 15% would be fine since so many people look at tipping as something optional when it should be, in fact, added to the bill automatically like they do in some restaurants for large parties. This is all IMO of course.

· Premium Member
3,886 Posts
No rideshare driver has to talk to you.
wow, your reply really interesting, this thrend is about tipping, I tell my driver he could avoid nearly 20 minute delay and you say a driver doesn't have to talk to me, but you're looking for a tip.

· Registered
47 Posts
I don't agree.

Why tip if the user just got the standard service ?
Because they just tipped their waitress and their bartender15% for just the standard service. Not tipping tells you that you did something wrong and usually it is something egregious.

The fact is that user should pay for the service a fair amount...
They do but that amount doesn't cover the tip, much like the cost of any meal at a restaurant. You don't go to a steak dinner where the item on the menu is 25 bucks thinking 25 bucks plus 2.50 tax = 27.50 will cover your meal.

we are just allowing UBER and Lyft to continue this game
It's a game perhaps, but one that started long before rideshare companies crawled up out of the primordial ooze. This is a service profession and tips are expected. The only reason to not tip would be if the driver engages in some type of behavior that is not professional, provides poor service, etc. When a driver is stuck in an unexpected traffic jam, that definitely qualifies for a bigger than standard tip but just the 15% would be fine since so many people look at tipping as something optional when it should be, in fact, added to the bill automatically like they do in some restaurants for large parties. This is all IMO of course.
Very true!

· Registered
4 Posts
I've been reading all these posts. My question is why do you think you deserve a tip. You drove from point A to point B and got paid for the trip. If you rely on tips for more income then I think your in the wrong business. Why don't you do something extra so maybe they will want to give you one. I never expect a tip. And at times I'll tell the rider it's not necessary. Which normally makes the tip bigger. Just explain why you think your entitled to a tip. Do something to earn it. I have a lot of riders that are college students and many times I don't get a tip. So what!!! Stop whining about not getting something. If you think your entitled to a tip for driving UBER I suggest you find another source of income. Ok I'm done venting. Go Forth and Conquer

· Registered
11 Posts
nothing is more annoying then people in the service industry expecting tips. being a Uber driver or a waiter is a easy fun job, your not working in the ing coal mines getting black lung... when i was a kid working landscaping for shit pay nobody tipped me at all (okay one dude gave us a 6 pack of beer the whole summer that it) all my bros delivering pizzas would make more in less time with tips yet * and complain when one cheap sob would not tip. U live in America, there are rich people everywhere giving huge tips, your gonna be fine if one dude stiffs you. nobody is going hungry over one guys screwing you over. If u want to make real money get a real job! this isn't supposed to be a full time gig, its a fun relaxing thing to do after work or when you are bored or need to move to different parts of your city for your own personal reasons you can turn on the app and make a couple extra bucks on the side. I never expect any tips from my customers, I do the job because I am bored and if someone gives me a tip I am grateful, but if they dont I dont give a shit since i agreed to do the job for a set price and that is that... there are people starving in Africa, count your blessings and be happy you were born in the richest country in the world! If anything be mad at Uber for screwing you and your customers over not ur customers. Your customers dont owe u shit, your not entitled to any tips from them at all so stop acting like you are...
So I thought ,a fellow uber passenger who indeed was a driver were getting along. I was literally stuck in vegas traffic last night for 1 hour trying to get into the back of venetian. I have never waited that long. He did not tip. Another similar story minus the traffic happened a couple weeks back. You know this is going to turn me into a pos non tipper. I can't tell you how many stiffs I get a Night but if you offer good service like I do I really expect to be tipped 3/4 of the time.

Do we tip servers? Do we tip car detailer? Do we tip dealers? Do we tip taxis? I mean what gives. Even if I have a bad waitress or waiter I always tip. If this keeps happening theu r gonna change me as a person and I am going to stop tipping. I can't even afford going out to eat anyways sp whatever.

I understand you all get it but just felt the need to rant and I'm having just a really really bad start to the year and it's bothering me bad, most of all because last year started this way too.
Slip, what % of your income is tips?

mine is between 12-15% weekly

· Registered
3 Posts
Looking back over my first 2 months driving, my total tip rate is right around 25%. Which is what I would expect. I don't dwell on the trips that don't tip, As long as I maintain this level. I tip when I ride share, I tip when I eat or drink. So my tip Karma is good.

· Registered
2 Posts
On this subject my intent is to present a different tac; specifically, on tipping from a (much) tougher customer base -that of Uber/Lyft drivers tipping Uber/Lyft drivers. The detail of which is more focused on expectations by fellow professionals.

As a Lyft and Uber driver -with over 12 years service- myself, that whenever I use one of my fellow providers for transportation I find myself MUCH more critical of most all aspects that I personally EXPECT not only of myself, but of those in the same profession. Which is to say I have have no problem tipping (generously) when a driver does a good job, has provided a safe, even enjoyable ride, and extended his/her personality in a friendly way through engaging -even interesting conversation.

But for those that are presenting an attitude that either they are "doing me a favor," or that they could care less about who they have entered into this transportation agreement with, well-then... they will pay in two ways; the first being their tip (or lack of), and/or the Rating they are working towards (good or bad).

In short if you're a Lyft or Uber driver EXPECT a harder fare if your customer is a rideshare driver because they KNOW what a good ride should be, and will most likely judge (aka TIP) "accordingly." The upside is that you might just learn some things that other drivers are doing to attract their customer base (aka "GOOD -Monetary, as well as Driving TIPS").

One true sign of having just transported a good passenger-driver is that they will most-always also provide Comments on the ride (inclusive of hints, suggestions, and compliment validation). And if you're NOT one of those who provides Comments to your driver(s), maybe you should think about it, as this is a GREAT way of helping the overall cause, not to mention leaving your "mark!"

Jusrt sayin'
(Safe Driving)

· Premium Member
8,471 Posts
What's the point?
The buyer will pay - one way or another.
Great story of 'always be testing' (ABT) principle of online sales,
but omg - that is not the point. Had your sales been the same whether you had one DB listing or two, or three, then the point would be "The buyer will pay - one way or another".

But what you stumbled upon is a basic principle of sales: Different people will respond differently to different marketing campaigns.
The point you discovered is that by implementing a second strategy to sell the same merchandise, each sold the same # of books - in other words, you doubled your sales by offering the books for just the cost of shipping - appealing to what may have been an entirely different customer.

You can't just assume that because sales were similar in each channel that the buyers in one channel would have purchased from the other had the one they did buy from not exist. If that were in fact the case, then there would have been no reason to go to the effort to create the second channel!

· Premium Member
17,677 Posts
Great story of 'always be testing' (ABT) principle of online sales,
but omg - that is not the point. Had your sales been the same whether you had one DB listing or two, or three, then the point would be "The buyer will pay - one way or another".

But what you stumbled upon is a basic principle of sales: Different people will respond differently to different marketing campaigns.
The point you discovered is that by implementing a second strategy to sell the same merchandise, each sold the same # of books - in other words, you doubled your sales by offering the books for just the cost of shipping - appealing to what may have been an entirely different customer.

You can't just assume that because sales were similar in each channel that the buyers in one channel would have purchased from the other had the one they did buy from not exist. If that were in fact the case, then there would have been no reason to go to the effort to create the second channel!
Yea it is the point, in a way.
The point is that the customer will pay one way or another.

They'll either pay by tipping their driver - or they'll pay by the increase in fare.
Now, you're going to say that "but, Uber does not give increases in pay" to which I will say "they will resist for a long time, but, if it gets so bad that drivers can't drive (not won't, but can't) then Uber will have to increase fares to be able to attract labor." At which time, the pax will pay.
But, either way, someone pays.
Nuthin for free.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts