Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
41 - 60 of 140 Posts

· Premium Member
17,677 Posts
Meh. It’s a business and I am a business man. I have genuine, good conversation, but at the end of the day, my goal with every passenger is to make as much money as I can, and that includes tips, which I have been very successful with getting.

I don’t feel bad about that at all.
You are just another evil pig capitalist.

· Premium Member
17,677 Posts
I feel the same way about bartenders and wait people.
If you can't afford to tip: buy a TV dinner and six pack and go home.

· Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Seems like just saying you're also a U/L driver is sort of a promise to tip. It would seem better for you, if you're gonna cheap out and not tip like 90% of other pax, to just not mention it. Then you'd just rapidly fade away in the driver's memory along with the thousands of other paxholes.
Where did you get the idea in your head that a driver telling you that they also drive Uber and Lyft is a promise to tip, I'm a customer quite often, never occurred to me as a reason for me saying that, I tell them that to make the driver feel more comfortable driving me around, basically I'm saying hey you're a driver I'm a driver just drive normally you don't have to be overly cautious you don't have to drive 30 in a 40 mph zone, you don't have to slap on the brakes as soon as the light turns yellow, and a word about tipping, I tip when a tip is obviously due, like any other passenger I'm not going to tip with a tip is not due, for example there's major constructions at one of the intersections in my city I've had two drivers go through that section and I tell them not to, I tell them way ahead of time where to turn so we're not stuck in traffic two drivers have told me "sir I have to follow the navigation", guess what no tip,

I have one driver a few months ago I get this car I say good morning he says nothing, a few minutes later I commented on something that was happening on the intersection we were passing passing look like a fighter broke out among someone he said nothing, I asked him if he drives mornings or night he said nothing, we got to our destination he didn't say have a good day or evening or anything he said absolutely nothing so I gave him a one-star no tip, if anybody is going to say maybe he was deaf, he could clearly hear, he had a phone call come in on the trip, a quick hello and a couple words and he hung up so he can obviously hear and can obviously talk, I don't hand out tips and five stars like candy they are earned.

· Premium Member
17,677 Posts
Where did you get the idea in your head that a driver telling you that they also drive Uber and Lyft is a promise to tip
I didn't "hear" that. I heard that he was surprised that drivers didn't tip drivers more.
"sir I have to follow the navigation", guess what no tip,
Is that because you are in a big hurry?
Or is it because he wouldn't surrender control of his vehicle to you?

It's an opportunity to be a cop, a judge.
Just a little bit of power, eh?

My opinion the worst pax is a teacher. They test and judge and evaluate all day long. Especially college teachers and professors. Judges.
You don't do what they want you to do? F.

· Premium Member
3,886 Posts
I didn't "hear" that. I heard that he was surprised that drivers didn't tip drivers more.

Is that because you are in a big hurry?
Or is it because he wouldn't surrender control of his vehicle to you?

It's an opportunity to be a cop, a judge.
Just a little bit of power, eh?

My opinion the worst pax is a teacher. They test and judge and evaluate all day long. Especially college teachers and professors. Judges.
You don't do what they want you to do? F.

Comment redacted, no longer going to argue with Uber clowns, if you don't want to be professional as a driver, I say again I don't give out five stars and tips as candy, that's the way I ride.

· Registered
266 Posts
You are just another evil pig capitalist.
If being a capitalist is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.

You do know that it’s possible to have genuine, good-hearted conversation with each of your pax while at the same time knowing that it is helping you maximize your profits, right?

I barely drove 3 hours this morning and basically made the equivalent of an hour worth of drive time in tips, simply from making an effort to engage. Why is that wrong to have that sort of motivation?

Attachments

· Banned
9 Posts
if you use these apps as labor and dont hand every driver or delivery person 10-20 cash soon as they pull up you are an A S S H O L E how dare you? scum of the earth and why would you use these services knowing how they steal from and treat labor?

cabs arent for locals or daily use they are for airports, out of towners, emergencies, if you cant afford a car you cant afford a private driver

Ive completely stopped patronizing every entity that uses these apps sans the walmart/sams club cuz I gotta eat all using an app to skirt labor laws instead of hiring locally

· Premium Member
17,677 Posts
ou do know that it’s possible to have genuine, good-hearted conversation with each of your pax while at the same time knowing that it is helping you maximize your profits, right?
Oh yea, and being a capitalist pig myself, I understand that I sell a little bit of me every 'sale'.
The only question is ... is what I am getting worth what i am giving up ...
If the answer is 'no', then I reduce 'services' until it's equal.

Services to the boss AND the customer.
Hope they're ok with the 3rd Law of Economics: You get what you pay for.
(fingers crossed behind my back because in reality, I DGAF exactly how they feel about it).

· Registered
18 Posts
So I thought ,a fellow uber passenger who indeed was a driver were getting along. I was literally stuck in vegas traffic last night for 1 hour trying to get into the back of venetian. I have never waited that long. He did not tip. Another similar story minus the traffic happened a couple weeks back. You know this is going to turn me into a pos non tipper. I can't tell you how many stiffs I get a Night but if you offer good service like I do I really expect to be tipped 3/4 of the time.

Do we tip servers? Do we tip car detailer? Do we tip dealers? Do we tip taxis? I mean what gives. Even if I have a bad waitress or waiter I always tip. If this keeps happening theu r gonna change me as a person and I am going to stop tipping. I can't even afford going out to eat anyways sp whatever.

I understand you all get it but just felt the need to rant and I'm having just a really really bad start to the year and it's bothering me bad, most of all because last year started this way too.
I took over 50 trips this past weekend and the only tip I got was from a rideshare driver.

· Registered
7 Posts
You’re giving someone a personal, customer-friendly experience in which their lives are literally in your hands. Sometimes you’re making extra effort to get to them or at a certain time, do extra things like help them with their luggage, etc.

It’s not a simple business transaction; it’s a personal transaction in which someone is doing extra to make sure you are satisfied for an extended amount of time, not much different from why you tip a restaurant waiter and don’t tip at a fast food restaurant.
I have to agree with this take. If you don’t want to your driver or can’t afford to tip your driver you should find other means of transportation…maybe pedal your cheap a$$ from point A to point B!

· Premium Member
7,822 Posts
The tip or not tip issue is much more complex . Why should someone providing a service should depend on the user judgement to get paid for a service rendered ?Tips should be a way to to say thank you for going above the standard . Why tip if the user just got the standard service ? The fact is that user should pay for the service a fair amount that will satisfy the driver without having to tip .
Tips on every service business are optional, and we all know that .
If we start making the need to tip a necessity , we are just allowing UBER and Lyft to continue this game expecting that someone else’s will pay for what they already get paid but not share with drivers .

· Registered
13 Posts
You’re giving someone a personal, customer-friendly experience in which their lives are literally in your hands. Sometimes you’re making extra effort to get to them or at a certain time, do extra things like help them with their luggage, etc.

It’s not a simple business transaction; it’s a personal transaction in which someone is doing extra to make sure you are satisfied for an extended amount of time, not much different from why you tip a restaurant waiter and don’t tip at a fast food restaurant.
I tip not to screw the server,cab driver,uber etc. It's smoke and mirrors. Americans are use to tipping and don't really give it much thought. Maybe a cab driver or uber,people don;t tip. Servers almost always get tip. Tipping is just a way for these business to get cheap labor and we are so use to it. Take a server. You get a burger and soda,it cost $20,tip $5. Steak and whiskey,$100 why does he or she now get $20. Ride share can get stressful,many people make 20hr. People have a lot hard jobs,make less and deal with more. I feel bad not tipping. Especially a server,it's a basically a commission job. Def if they are not even making min wage,so the tip is very important. You know the deal going in. To have such hatred towards a non tipper if you are a server is being entitled. Why don't the place force a customer to tip.

Drivers,servers,etc. Should get min wage,the expenses covered and any tips is a nice bonus.

· Premium Member
19 Posts
So I thought ,a fellow uber passenger who indeed was a driver were getting along. I was literally stuck in vegas traffic last night for 1 hour trying to get into the back of venetian. I have never waited that long. He did not tip. Another similar story minus the traffic happened a couple weeks back. You know this is going to turn me into a pos non tipper. I can't tell you how many stiffs I get a Night but if you offer good service like I do I really expect to be tipped 3/4 of the time.

Do we tip servers? Do we tip car detailer? Do we tip dealers? Do we tip taxis? I mean what gives. Even if I have a bad waitress or waiter I always tip. If this keeps happening theu r gonna change me as a person and I am going to stop tipping. I can't even afford going out to eat anyways sp whatever.

I understand you all get it but just felt the need to rant and I'm having just a really really bad start to the year and it's bothering me bad, most of all because last year started this way too.
I definitely feel you. Took 13 trip’s yesterday not one tip. You can’t let it change you as a person though. If rideshare paid us enough we wouldn’t even be thinking about tips. I personally forced myself to see it this way lol so I won’t be upset with clueless passengers

· Registered
13 Posts
I have to agree with this take. If you don’t want to your driver or can’t afford to tip your driver you should find other means of transportation…maybe pedal your cheap a$$ from point A to point B!
To do a job,where tipping is not forced. Yet telling people not to use to service,is somewhat shitty imo. I get it people are trying to get by,you know the deal coming in. Force the customer to tip or just pay the worker correctly. Tipping is just mainly used to get cheap labor,u choose roll the dice. Compensate drivers correctly and pay min wage,tips are extra. Most people who get annoyed at this,are gonna try to justify why not tipping = scum bag. It's an emotional responses. Imagine if you order uber eats once a month and it cost $30 and you tip $5. For some odd reason many people tip $15 dollars . So you get crappy service b.c others tip so good. I'll still tip b.c I don't want to screw the little guy,it's a bribe in many ways.lol.

· Registered
13 Posts
If you work in a tipping profession,it's shitty not to tip. I get how the 25 year old living at home,can dick around ,make 15 hr after all expenses. If apply for a job somewhere,if im 45 and the other guy is 25 but has the same experience. Should I get the job b.c I need the $ more.

· Registered
10 Posts

Driving a rideshare in Vegas is kinda suck. because 90% pax usually moves around the strip which is normally between $4 and $6 in no surge but always in at least moderate or often bad traffic. Oh yeah. a number of signals and crazy pedestrians plus rough road as well. Usually I don't expect tips when outside strip. however in the strip. sometimes stuck in bad traffic for 30min or even more to make just 5 bucks is horrible. I expect some. but rarely happens sadly. I usually do 'skip the ping' to or from Strip in the traffic time. It's not worth my time. the State minimum wage is almost $10/hr. you don't have to waste your time and gas in bad traffic.

41 - 60 of 140 Posts