Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 15 months I finally got my first 1-Star... :eek:

I am now devoting my entire existence to plotting revenge and destroying every facet of the offender's life forever... :p

Seriously though - I thought the rider had to give a reason with "Ratings Protection"...? And if there is a reason, why doesn't Uber verify it with me...? o_O

And now, back to channeling my inner Khan and wrath... :p

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts

I am now devoting my entire existence to plotting revenge and destroying every facet of the offender's life forever... :p

Seriously though - I thought the rider had to give a reason with "Ratings Protection"...? And if there is a reason, why doesn't Uber verify it with me...? o_O

Sometimes you have to call support or go into a GLH and find out. If they don't give a reason, or you can argue that the reason given was something out of your control (and that's almost always easy to argue) or a lie (easier at a GLH with dashcam footage available), it will be reversed. For a lie, supposedly, at the very least, a flag is put on the pax's account to watch for further fraud.

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
I earn a 1 Star a week with pride. I had an epiphany that ratings in no way equates to extra dollars.

My theory on ratings protection is that Uber does not have a team that reviews ratings as obviously they hold zero value. Programically, the easiest way (Uber’s way) is compare the driver and rider rating and if both Rider and driver rate low, it goes into Rider rating protection. Of course rapes and assaults etc go to a team that handles critical issues.

I hand out 1 Stars if I suspect just a little that you are gonna rate me low. I went from a 4.93 to a 4.96.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
I think ratings protection has improved the system, but it's not perfect. If you look at Uber's website https://www.uber.com/c/180-days/improved-ratings-and-feedback/ it seems the improved rating system discludes ratings where the reason given was beyond the drivers control, such as traffic, or the price of the ride, etc. It also discludes the ratings of serial down raters, and helps prevent low ratings from riders who think 3 or 4 stars are 'average' or 'good', by notifying them that anything less than 5 means there was a problem. AFAIK it still doesn't prevent an entitled pax from rating low, then giving some vague reason like "professionalism" (or maybe even "other"), because the driver didn't meet some kind of impossible expectation

Some of us (myself included), have a tendancy to take low ratings like a kick in the privates, especially when we feel we did a decent job. In reality though, as long as our overall rating is well into the acceptable zone, then individual ratings are meaningless, and it's better just to move on (I'm saying this to myself too).

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AFAIK it still doesn't prevent an entitled pax from rating low, then giving some vague reason like "professionalism" (or maybe even "other"), because the driver didn't meet some kind of impossible expectation
That's the thing - there's no reason listed in Rider Feedback...

In reality though, as long as our overall rating is well into the acceptable zone, then individual ratings are meaningless, and it's better just to move on (I'm saying this to myself too).
You're right though - I only went down .01 to 4.92 because I am on the 500 rating system... :p

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Sometimes you have to call support or go into a GLH and find out. If they don't give a reason, or you can argue that the reason given was something out of your control (and that's almost always easy to argue) or a lie (easier at a GLH with dashcam footage available), it will be reversed. For a lie, supposedly, at the very least, a flag is put on the pax's account to watch for further fraud.
I've never seen Uber delete a low rating.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
I've never seen Uber delete a low rating.
I have. You usually have to actually go into a GLH. I used to go to the pop-up in Union. I went to talk about some money they owed me and one rating in particular, and he found a few others that didn't meet the criteria and got rid of them, too.

In-app or phone driver support either don't know how to do it, can't do it, or don't know that it's supposed to be done.

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts

Fyi I think they have a lot of glitches for the past month or so. I have no weekly reports for over a month, have not received any kind of rider feedback for about the same.

Also I have received several 1-3 stars to have it go away a few days later

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I earn a 1 Star a week with pride. I had an epiphany that ratings in no way equates to extra dollars.

My theory on ratings protection is that Uber does not have a team that reviews ratings as obviously they hold zero value. Programically, the easiest way (Uber's way) is compare the driver and rider rating and if both Rider and driver rate low, it goes into Rider rating protection. Of course rapes and assaults etc go to a team that handles critical issues.

I hand out 1 Stars if I suspect just a little that you are gonna rate me low. I went from a 4.93 to a 4.96.
I'm the same way Now! If even smell attitude from the pax I'm giving a 1. But I won't lie I've been off a couple of times this month. I got tips from people I gave a 1 star to, I guess I read them wrong.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have received several 1-3 stars to have it go away a few days later
I noticed a 3 rating a month ago that disappeared - so I'm watching this 1 star (it's still there though)...

I did 1 star a back seat driver with major attitude one month ago - I don't know if riders can change there driver's rating weeks later though in retaliation... ?

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
I noticed a 3 rating a month ago that disappeared - so I'm watching this 1 star (it's still there though)...

I did 1 star a back seat driver one month ago - I don't know if riders can change there driver's rating weeks later though in retaliation... ?
contrary to us pax doesn't need to rate right away, I think last change a while ago makes them rate before they order the next trip but I'm not really sure.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
Ratings are overrated. I'm currently 4.21 and still driving. People don't like puff puff pass. Go figure
I just got Netflix and have been binging on some of their original content. There's an anthology series called Black Mirror that is about technology screwing with people's lives and mindsets....

S3E1 is called Nosedive and is about rating systems (I'd bet real money it's based on U/L ratings), and for me, as someone who lived with that system, it's funny, sad, frustrating, and angering...

Must see, if you have Netflix and drive rideshare, IMO. :rolleyes::confused::eek:

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I'm the same way Now! If even smell attitude from the pax I'm giving a 1. But I won't lie I've been off a couple of times this month. I got tips from people I gave a 1 star to, I guess I read them wrong.
I got a $4 tip today from a $14 (to me) ride yesterday that I had given a rare non 5⭐'s to. You've never seen me say Uber should change anything until now. They should give 18-24 hours to rate someone or not rate them at all if we wish...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just got Netflix and have been binging on some of their original content. There's an anthology series called Black Mirror that is about technology screwing with people's lives and mindsets....

S3E1 is called Nosedive and is about rating systems (I'd bet real money it's based on U/L ratings), and for me, as someone who lived with that system, it's funny, sad, frustrating, and angering...

Must see, if you have Netflix and drive rideshare, IMO. :rolleyes::confused::eek:
Great series. Can't wait for season 5 already!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Ratings are overrated. I'm currently 4.21 and still driving. People don't like puff puff pass. Go figure
Puff, puff, bogart is the proper way, with the pox we drive. Unless it is theirs that is being puff puff, then they better pass it up to the captain as he needs to maintain his grip on reality.

·
Registered
542 Posts
AFAIK it still doesn't prevent an entitled pax from rating low, then giving some vague reason like "professionalism" (or maybe even "other"), because the driver didn't meet some kind of impossible expectation

Some of us (myself included), have a tendancy to take low ratings like a kick in the privates, especially when we feel we did a decent job. In reality though, as long as our overall rating is well into the acceptable zone, then individual ratings are meaningless, and it's better just to move on (I'm saying this to myself too).
Just happened to me the other day. 1* and professionalism. Passenger wanted me to pick her up at the taxi stand in Jersey City. I was before it and she was right where you get in the taxi. I said you need to walk the 100 feet back to me so the taxi drivers don't do something stupid. She refused. "Oh my leg hurts, just pull up and get me". The timer was almost up so I start to leave. She jumps off the curb as I drive up to pass her. I was just about to cancel but had a bad feeling that she might report me for some bogus offense since it was still hot outside. I figured a 1* and a professionalism would be better than "refusing for pick her up for ........." I immediately sent a message to Uber and called support. They said, "don't worry a 1* wont effect your rating". I said that's not the point, I thought there was ratings protection.....

I just took my lumps and moved on. B%#@h!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts