Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know, our ratings of our beloved riders have no teeth; nobody gets banned from using Uber because their rating drops below a certain point. Still, they should offer a guide to distinguish the arseholes from the good people. Why then do so many arseholes I pick up still carry 4.7 or higher ratings? Once an arsehole always an arsehole; surely I'm not the only driver they behave like pigs with? I fear too many drivers are giving Five Stars as a matter of routine. In contrast, I have become more draconian in my ratings: any lack of respect towards me or my vehicle gets an instant downgrade. For instance, if somebody grabs a bottle of water without asking first gets an instant ONE star; ditto for anyone turning on the radio without asking first. Anyone sneaking alcohol in without asking it's an instant ONE star. Even if they ask I only give them a three ; the reason is that they're putting me in a position where if I refuse I'm only going to get a One star myself.

My reasoning is that the rider ratings should truly reflect the riders and their potential impact on you and your car. The present meaningless cluster of ratings (everybody over 4.6) doesn't do this.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Y
As we all know, our ratings of our beloved riders have no teeth; nobody gets banned from using Uber because their rating drops below a certain point. Still, they should offer a guide to distinguish the arseholes from the good people. Why then do so many arseholes I pick up still carry 4.7 or higher ratings? Once an arsehole always an arsehole; surely I'm not the only driver they behave like pigs with? I fear too many drivers are giving Five Stars as a matter of routine. In contrast, I have become more draconian in my ratings: any lack of respect towards me or my vehicle gets an instant downgrade. For instance, if somebody grabs a bottle of water without asking first gets an instant ONE star; ditto for anyone turning on the radio without asking first. Anyone sneaking alcohol in without asking it's an instant ONE star. Even if they ask I only give them a three ; the reason is that they're putting me in a position where if I refuse I'm only going to get a One star myself.

My reasoning is that the rider ratings should truly reflect the riders and their potential impact on you and your car. The present meaningless cluster of ratings (everybody over 4.6) doesn't do this.
You just need to get over it. This is Uber. You have no rights. You cannot seek redress for anything.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Y

You just need to get over it. This is Uber. You have no rights. You cannot seek redress for anything.
Well, I DO have the right to rate riders, even though this right may not amount to much. And if others follow suit in drastically downgrading riders for uncivil or patronising behaviour, then it may help us to avoid those riders we'd prefer not to have in our cars.
Oh, and another reason for downgrading: riders who keep you waiting, especially if you've driven ten minutes to pick them up. Five star riders are ready and waiting as you drive up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well, I DO have the right to rate riders, even though this right may not amount to much.
Sounds like you are missing a system where you could drive off if the passenger looked m6 or M13. A system where you could earn $1.72 a km. A system where you had camera evidence if you were assaulted and the passenger had evidence if they were assaulted. A system where 6 drivers would turn up if you had to activate your alarm.

Welcome to the party. You are a slave now and you have no rights.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you are missing a system where you could drive off if the passenger looked m6 or M13. A system where you could earn $1.72 a km. A system where you had camera evidence if you were assaulted and the passenger had evidence if they were assaulted. A system where 6 drivers would turn up if you had to activate your alarm.

Welcome to the party. You are a slave now and you have no rights.
A system where I was sitting around for up to three hours waiting for a job; a system where I had no idea who I was picking up; a system where I would drive fifteen minutes to pick up and find nobody there; a system where I would have to ask for collateral if the passenger asked me to wait while they went inside; a system where somebody could spew in the cab and then tell me to **** off if I asked for financial compensation.......

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
A system where I was sitting around for up to three hours waiting for a job; a system where I had no idea who I was picking up; a system where I would drive fifteen minutes to pick up and find nobody there; a system where I would have to ask for collateral if the passenger asked me to wait while they went inside; a system where somebody could spew in the cab and then tell me to **** off if I asked for financial compensation.......
Well yes you need to be a pretty strong character to drive a taxi but at the end of the day nothing matters except the dollars you take home, right?
So you say Uber's better so are you then happy with the dollars you take home with Uber? Net dollars is what counts and not your payout dollars ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Getting really heated up. I never really reject riders based on the ratings. Uber put their ratings way too small for me to notice at times, especially when on the move at 60+ km/h.

I rated one stars on some passengers with little regards or respect towards me. Once i picked up young adults (20+) from beach, they were filthy and rude. First thing they asked is mind and water. Or else, they would one star me... I was like fine, do that. I ain't giving any freebies with these low fares plus they were only on the ride for 8-9 minutes. Yet, they expected me to provide for 3 guys. At times I wonder why i am driving uber anyway... I just hope one of my job applications gets accepted and be done with uber soon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Picked up a perpetual Drunk from Cottesloe, 4.4 rating, who had issues with Uber and a driver. As soon as he entered his raving and ranting started he was literally yelling into my face for no fault of mine. These are people that uber should have banned, however I continued the trip on condition that he shut his foul mouth stop the [email protected]#k and sit like a lamb, else I would kick him out. He mellowed down and turned into a wimp, changed his destination as requested. At his destination he offered to buy me a drink on Cambridge St.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well yes you need to be a pretty strong character to drive a taxi but at the end of the day nothing matters except the dollars you take home, right?
So you say Uber's better so are you then happy with the dollars you take home with Uber? Net dollars is what counts and not your payout dollars ok.
No, I would certainly like to take home more with Uber but do you know what you're making as a cabbie if you're working as a lease driver? You are grossing around $20 an hour, about half what you were doing four years ago. And I am not exaggerating as is the custom on this Forum. If you work a 12 hour shift, you may well be grossing less than $200 if you're an unadventurous "let the work come to you" driver. Your lease comes to maybe $80 a shift on average, then you have to pay for fuel, probably $15 average (with shift work you have to fill up at the end of your shift, so have to pay high Tuesday to Friday prices). So now you have $105 for twelve hours work before GST.

Now I 'd estimate that driving Uber you're netting at least $20 an hour, out of which you pay fuel, GST, insurance, maintenance, and depreciation. However, you need to include the financial benefit of not having - as you do in a taxi - to include the costs of a private car in addition. Your private car costs are already included in your Uber costs; and you can also include in your cost benefits the time you save driving to and from the pickup point for the taxi plus the refuelling time every shift. Driving, say, a two year old Camry Hybrid I'd estimate you're saving at least twenty grand a year in expenses while taking just as much money as you would be driving a cab. Of course, this will vary according to the vehicle you drive but it still won't affect the fact that at present Uber is far more profitable than taxis.

I
Picked up a perpetual Drunk from Cottesloe, 4.4 rating, who had issues with Uber and a driver. As soon as he entered his raving and ranting started he was literally yelling into my face for no fault of mine. These are people that uber should have banned, however I continued the trip on condition that he shut his foul mouth stop the [email protected]#k and sit like a lamb, else I would kick him out. He mellowed down and turned into a wimp, changed his destination as requested. At his destination he offered to buy me a drink on Cambridge St.
If everybody gives him one star I'd imagine he would be effectively banned. Who would pick up a rider with a 1.0 rating?

So what are you going to do when Uber becomes a monopoly with 5000 ex-cabbies/new slaves joining in?
Sit at home and hope like hell a job comes to you...
Well, then we'll have all the cab work in addition and a hell of a lot more.
The amount of first-time or first-month users I'm getting suggests to me we're on the verge of a demand landslide. Uber has been only operating legitimately for around twelve months and yet it's now completely dominating the consumer market. Now for the Corporate dollar.....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I only ever give 1, 4 and 5 star ratings.

Attractive female and back seat = 1 star
Smell/Look like a bogan = 1 star
Elitist scumbag and make it obvious = 1 star
Woman and sit in the back seat = 1 star
Live inner city and obvious green voter = 1 star
Quiet on the trip = 1 star
Overweight = 1 star
Move your seat backwards in front seat = 1 star
Ask me to turn music down = 1 star
Make me go your way instead of allowing me to follow map = 1 star
Call me a taxi = 1 star
Elitist and want to have a friendly chat = 5 star
Attractive and chatty = 5 star
Give me a tip = 5 star
Similar political views = 5 star
Hardworker and chatty = 5 star

Everybody else is 4 star.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you work a 12 hour shift, you may well be grossing less than $200 if you're an unadventurous "let the work come to you" driver.
As a Taxi and Uber driver you have to search out the market not be unadventurous. You can now get Taxis on quiet nights for as little as $60. Ironically the quiet night can be better as there is less supply.
Even on a real crap night it only takes a few business card/office jobs to get to $150 and then 5 $20 pub/restaurant jobs to get to $250. One early morning Airport job would round out your night at $300 (I used to take $250-300 by midnight regularly on Sun, Mon, Tue Nights but I know that isn't possible now). $60 lease and $25 fuel = $85 cost.

If you do Uber you would have to do 1.7 times productive km to take that same $300. $75 would then be commission and $30 fuel (cause you have to do more km). Cost $105 from same gross. Then you have to pay extra for insurance, maintenance, wear and tear (none of which are free even though you claim them to already covered).
You reckon Uber has higher potential but that is only while supply/demand ratio is in favour of supplier. That is rapidly changing(many already argue it is in oversupply).
All you are doing is advocating for a system that wants to oversupply to the detriment of drivers and then with minimal recompense.
As I have asked before what are you going to do when 5000 more ex-cabbies join you? Do you have an out.

Your private car costs are already included in your Uber costs; and you can also include in your cost benefits the time you save driving to and from the pickup point for the taxi plus the refuelling time every shift.
No, your Uber cost increase dramatically your private car costs and I personally would rather not have passengers defecate, urinate, vomit or even drop food in my private car.
Your calculations are A*** over T**.

If everybody gives him one star I'd imagine he would be effectively banned. Who would pick up a rider with a 1.0 rating?
Dream on.

Well, then we'll have all the cab work in addition and a hell of a lot more.
Where are the hell of al lot more coming from?
It is a finite market. People do not catch Uber or Taxis because they like to but because they have to. No matter how cheap Uber becomes (at your personal earnings reduction) people will still use own transport, public transport, Mum's Taxi (Uber) before they contemplate ODT.
Surely as a ex-cabbie of 4 years you would have sussed this all out.

It is nice to have a dream...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a Taxi and Uber driver you have to search out the market not be unadventurous. You can now get Taxis on quiet nights for as little as $60. Ironically the quiet night can be better as there is less supply.
Even on a real crap night it only takes a few business card/office jobs to get to $150 and then 5 $20 pub/restaurant jobs to get to $250. One early morning Airport job would round out your night at $300 (I used to take $250-300 by midnight regularly on Sun, Mon, Tue Nights but I know that isn't possible now). $60 lease and $25 fuel = $85 cost.

If you do Uber you would have to do 1.7 times productive km to take that same $300. $75 would then be commission and $30 fuel (cause you have to do more km). Cost $105 from same gross. Then you have to pay extra for insurance, maintenance, wear and tear (none of which are free even though you claim them to already covered).
You reckon Uber has higher potential but that is only while supply/demand ratio is in favour of supplier. That is rapidly changing(many already argue it is in oversupply).
All you are doing is advocating for a system that wants to oversupply to the detriment of drivers and then with minimal recompense.
As I have asked before what are you going to do when 5000 more ex-cabbies join you? Do you have an out.

No, your Uber cost increase dramatically your private car costs and I personally would rather not have passengers defecate, urinate, vomit or even drop food in my private car.
Your calculations are A*** over T**.

Dream on.

Where are the hell of al lot more coming from?
It is a finite market. People do not catch Uber or Taxis because they like to but because they have to. No matter how cheap Uber becomes (at your personal earnings reduction) people will still use own transport, public transport, Mum's Taxi (Uber) before they contemplate ODT.
Surely as a ex-cabbie of 4 years you would have sussed this all out.

It is nice to have a dream...
I'll pass over your ridiculously over inflated guesstimate of taxi earnings nowadays. Look, I still have my "T" licence: I can drive a taxi any time I want. So why don't I? Simply because you CANNOT earn anything approximating a living driving a taxi as a lease driver. Even drivers with government plates are struggling; I know one who is seriously thinking of making the move to Uber; he phoned me out of the blue last month to ask me about Uber and stated that he couldn't understand how lease drivers could survive. And you try to tell us you can regularly take $300 a shift!

As for your statement about Uber's prospects for greater demand, most Uber users are not refugees from taxis. I make it a point - in light of the discussions on this Forum - to ask riders if they would be taking a taxi if Uber didn't exist. Most tell me that they wouldn't; that the alternative would be to drive themselves, take a bus or train, or get someone else to drive them. It's only because Uber is so affordable, efficient, and reliable that they use them. One guy yesterday had taken FIVE Uber's that day and emphatically declared that he wouldn't have used taxis as an alternative if Uber wasn't around; another told me he was trying to convince his dad to give up the car and use Uber instead because it was cheaper. Yet you say using Uber is a necessity, not an option. The number of riders who tell me they find Uber a viable alternative to both public transport and second cars suggests that there's a huge only partially tapped market out there. After all, Uber has hardly advertised at all and has progressed largely through word of mouth. I'm predicting that the number of users is going to rise dramatically over the next twelve months.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Haven't worked taxis for a while and haven't worked Uber for 6 months. But when I go into town and look around and see taxis with passengers on board and ranks with no taxis on them I can tell that taxis are still being used.
$300 on a week night isn't ridiculous whilst there is still corporate, airport and hail work. That is 3 $50 fares and 5 $20 fares up to 2.00am and then 1 $50 early morning airport job (that is less than 1 fare an hour, used to average 2 an hour when it was busier). Even in todays market that shouldn't be too hard.

It's only because Uber is so affordable, efficient, and reliable that they use them.
Lot of Taxi haters out there. I understand that. Many of the same people already hate Uber.

Yet you say using Uber is a necessity, not an option. The number of riders who tell me they find Uber a viable alternative to both public transport and second cars suggests that there's a huge only partially tapped market out there.
Uber only viable to car ownership if you live inner city.
Uber have been selling this line for years. Travis has often sprouted it in interviews. It was his way of saying Uber isn't encroaching on Taxi turf and allaying fears of a new monopoly. You want to believe Travis then I hear he is looking for a few more investors. Give him a call, I sure he will welcome your financial contribution (Uber only lost $2 billion last year).
Uber is not cheaper than public transport unless you have 4 passengers going a short distance.
Uber is cheaper than taxis at your expense. Punters will tell you fluff because they want you to stay cheap at your expense.
Most passengers are cheap arses and will avoid ODT unless they have to. Just check out how full the trains are going into town on a Saturday night. Also check out how many wait til early morning train Sunday.

Sad :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven't worked taxis for a while and haven't worked Uber for 6 months. But when I go into town and look around and see taxis with passengers on board and ranks with no taxis on them I can tell that taxis are still being used.
$300 on a week night isn't ridiculous whilst there is still corporate, airport and hail work. That is 3 $50 fares and 5 $20 fares up to 2.00am and then 1 $50 early morning airport job (that is less than 1 fare an hour, used to average 2 an hour when it was busier). Even in todays market that shouldn't be too hard.

Lot of Taxi haters out there. I understand that. Many of the same people already hate Uber.

Uber only viable to car ownership if you live inner city.
Uber have been selling this line for years. Travis has often sprouted it in interviews. It was his way of saying Uber isn't encroaching on Taxi turf and allaying fears of a new monopoly. You want to believe Travis then I hear he is looking for a few more investors. Give him a call, I sure he will welcome your financial contribution (Uber only lost $2 billion last year).
Uber is not cheaper than public transport unless you have 4 passengers going a short distance.
Uber is cheaper than taxis at your expense. Punters will tell you fluff because they want you to stay cheap at your expense.
Most passengers are cheap arses and will avoid ODT unless they have to. Just check out how full the trains are going into town on a Saturday night. Also check out how many wait til early morning train Sunday.

Sad :(
Well, I drove taxis until August 24th and so have fairly recent experience of the amount of work available. I don't know where you get your "three fifty dollar jobs in a shift" from; I can't recall the last time I achieved this myself. I'd guess around Christmas 2013. Even the corporate work has got shorter and shorter; in 2014 you'd generally manage at least one fifty-bucker taking a late worker home but they're really stingy with the cabcharges nowadays. I sat on the Sherwood rank innumerable times for nearly an hour only to score a fare to Subiaco or Mt Lawley. Then back into the city once again to try to find a spot on one of the few decent ranks.

And I've been monitoring the situation ever since but I can't say I've noticed the empty taxi ranks. Occasionally around 3-4PM there will be spots available on the Walshes but even at this time (the only time I found taxi work reasonably good) I have seen empty ranks maybe half a dozen times in the last six months. And after 5PM?!!! The ranks are completely over-flowing. I drive near the QVI rank dozens of times every night; not only are the two legitimate spots taken 100% of the time but the bus-stop behind is almost always full with illegal parkers, often with the last cab parked up on the curb, AND there is usually a couple of cabs parked across the road. And it's not as if this rank is moving at an incredible rate; I only managed to get on the back a few times in my last six months of driving but it still took me over 45 minutes to get a fare. And they weren't fifty dollar jobs either.

But what really killed taxis for me were the weekends. At least the weekdays have a bit of corporate and hospital work but the weekends are almost entirely Uber-dominated. One of the last Saturday nights I worked (admittedly this was in winter, invariably quiet) I managed to get TWO fares between 4-10PM. The boredom drove me nuts. Now with Uber I'm wondering if my App isn't working if I go 20 minutes without a job.

And the hails? I LIVED off hails a few years ago, cruising the city streets and almost always managing to score a job before I'd done a circuit of the CBD. Once again I've been monitoring the hail situation; I reckon I see about two people hailing a cab a WEEK these days! You see a few walk ups but hails are virtually finished as a source of taxi work.

And what about the "radio" work courtesy of Swan Taxis? Well, even six months ago owners I spoke to were wondering if it was worth paying Swan $150 a week because they were only getting a couple of jobs a day. And I doubt if it's improved since then.

Swan has tried to stem the bleeding by letting pretty well anybody drive for them these days. Just before I left they brought in an "open the gates" policy for new drivers. How long is this going to work with driver incomes dropping well below the minimum wage? How many Aussies are still leasing cabs? They have ALL left; unless you're sharing a flat with five other drivers you simply cannot make enough to pay the rent if you're a single renter.

And what has the taxi industry done to halt the decline? I stuck around for much longer than I should becauseI thought they were going to DO SOMETHING. So when are they going to do it?

·
Registered
176 Posts

Don't touch ANYONE under 4.5. Don't forget, we get farked off at 4.5. SO SHOULD RIDERS!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't touch ANYONE under 4.5. Don't forget, we get farked off at 4.5. SO SHOULD RIDERS!
Problem is that I've picked up riders with low ratings and have been at a loss why they should have received such ratings because they behaved like model riders. Conversely, I've picked up riders with 4.8 or 4.9 ratings and they have been PIGS. Last week I got a guy with a 5.0 rating; his three friends asked me to pop the boot, then proceeded to break open a fresh 24 pack of bottled water without a hint of a "by your leave", take out four bottles and distribute them to all and sundry, then one of them dropped beer on the carpet, thought it was a bit of a lark, and do you think the rider maintained his 5.0 rating after that?
And a girl I picked up with her three rowdy male friends: rating 4.8. She immediately snaps "got a radio?" (no please or thank you), then they decide they want to pick up a dog. When I showed reluctance, one of them pleaded while another says "he'll have to!", and I finally gave in. Next I'm pulling off the roundabout in Joondalup Drive and the girl snaps "it's an 80 speed limit" because after three seconds I'm only up to 60. And she was a 4.8?

No, of course Uber isn't as cheap as Public transport in the same way as $30 bottles of wine aren't as cheap as $7 bottles - which doesn't prevent
some people from still buying the more expensive bottle. If Uber was as cheap as public transport the demand would be completely overwhelming; who would take a bus when you could ride in a Uber for the same price? There would be no way that Uber could keep up with the demand as well as drivers not being able to make ends meet at these rates. So Uber only wants a fraction of the public transport users to opt for the more expensive service and pitches its rates at a level to attract this group. Taxis may not interest them at $1.72 a Km but Uber at $1.00? Perhaps 5% of the public transport users, maybe even more. So it's not a case of taxis or Uber but public transport/driving yourself/walking or Uber. I'd estimate that over half of Uber clients are not substituting Uber for taxis but for other forms of transport.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So it's not a case of taxis or Uber but public transport/driving yourself/walking or Uber. I'd estimate that over half of Uber clients are not substituting Uber for taxis but for other forms of transport.
What other forms of transport then? Where are all these extra "Uber" passengers coming from then? ODT passenger's use ODT because they have to. It is not a growing market unless some new law forces people to use ODT such as RBT which did increase taxi usage and resentment (people really started to hate Taxis when they were forced to use them rather than drink drive home).

What are you talking about???

Uber passenger's are coming from the taxi system. Just like Uber driver's are coming from the taxi system. Difference is Uber drivers are getting less per km with higher expenses and passengers are paying less.
This is all ok whilst supply/demand ration is in driver's favor but that won't last long.
When ratio changes then the driver will be losing big time.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
What other forms of transport then? Where are all these extra "Uber" passengers coming from then? ODT passenger's use ODT because they have to. It is not a growing market unless some new law forces people to use ODT such as RBT which did increase taxi usage and resentment (people really started to hate Taxis when they were forced to use them rather than drink drive home).
Buddy, people living in Vic Park, Subiaco, South Perth, Mt Lawley and inner city suburbs are substituting public transport with Uber.
There are plenty of people more than happy to pay for an Uber to the closest train station, that wouldn't order taxis. People who need to get from A to B and can't be bothered driving, want to have a few drinks without risk of getting caught - without being charged a fortunte. Uber has not just taken the taxi's slice.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Was driving taxis for 25 years before driving Uber and guess what? ...
Those people were catching taxis to the train station, shops, Maccas, even suits going up the Terrace not wanting to be seen on Cat Bus etc.
No new passengers there just fugal passengers at drivers reduction in income (costing them $6 not $8, saving $2, whoopee doo).

1 - 20 of 87 Posts