Uber Drivers Forum banner

How did the rain impact your business today?

• Business Increased

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Business Decreased

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No Difference Noted

Votes: 4 57.1%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate driving in the rain. It seems everyone around here thinks it means you should drive faster (apparently to get out of the rain quicker). I stopped at about 3:00 pm and am just hunkering down at home waiting out the rush-hour period.

I didn't notice any increase in business today as a result of the rain. I found that to be rather counter-intuitive. It was just a typical Monday with insane drivers and water obstacles thrown in for fun.

Good floor mats certainly pay for themselves on days like these. One glance at the mud on my thick rubber (and easily cleanable) mats made me happy I spent the cash for them.

The weather forecast says it should be clear for the rest of the week. I hope the forecast is accurate.

How did the rain impact your earnings today?

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
I only had one college student for a short trip, well a group of three but that was 13 gross and took me home per say. All the others were $10+ 7 trips.

By contrast last monday and weds were all short trips, 13 mostly students.

The rain only affected how long it took to get somewhere .

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
No rain in this side of the mountain. I don't drive in the rain, too many idiot drivers in Palm Springs to begin with adding rain to the mix makes them downright morons.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No rain in this side of the mountain. I don't drive in the rain, too many idiot drivers in Palm Springs to begin with adding rain to the mix makes them downright morons.
I hear that. I'm not ubering... just picking up my daughter from work. Came early to beat the rain. I didn't.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
According to AccuWeather this wave should last 71 minutes. We'll see. Think I'll wait it out in a restaurant.

P.S. that AccuWeather report turned out to be amazingly accurate as far as how long it would take for the storm to pass. Saw a palm tree get snapped while I was enjoying a burger and fries waiting for the storm to pass. It sure gets a lot more windy out in Moreno Valley than it did a few years back.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
According to AccuWeather this wave should last 71 minutes. We'll see. Think I'll wait it out in a restaurant.
I don't know if the surge continues like this I might have to break my no driving in the rain rules. It's steadily climbed from 3.7 to 6.6 and is currently holding there.

image.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Its been doing that a lot lately, its just that more newbies are coming on line and don't know how to stay offline to make it surge more so.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Yeah at 10am I count 40 drivers bt Corona and MoVal, Lyft and Ube. Ugh I was gona stay local today, Decided to do OC but then the air bag light came on and chimed ever minute. I can't have this thing chiming every minute, so stayed local. Couple rides later it can't make up its mind what it wants to do. Then another trip but took me very close to the dealer, then it completely stops. I'm like ok, I see how you are going to be Christine. On the flip side had I gone to OC I may have only netted 50 more plus another 100 miles. So maybe Christine was trying to tell me something. Hmm....

Speaking of Stacking trips. I figured if uber can play that well so can an IC.

I pick up a Lyft ride and the rider tell me of a better way to go, I agree and were off. Midway I check Uber, a 1.9 surge, its sooner than I wanted but logon uber during the Lyft. Ping ! As luck would have it I'm going mostly that direction anyway, only had to back track about a mile. The 1.9 was a 5 miles trip towards home too. Cool ! :D So play'em for what its worth, but beware, it could backfire.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah at 10am I count 40 drivers bt Corona and MoVal, Lyft and Ube. Ugh I was gona stay local today, Decided to do OC but then the air bag light came on and chimed ever minute. I can't have this thing chiming every minute, so stayed local. Couple rides later it can't make up its mind what it wants to do. Then another trip but took me very close to the dealer, then it completely stops. I'm like ok, I see how you are going to be Christine. On the flip side had I gone to OC I may have only netted 50 more plus another 100 miles. So maybe Christine was trying to tell me something. Hmm....

Speaking of Stacking trips. I figured if uber can play that well so can an IC.

I pick up a Lyft ride and the rider tell me of a better way to go, I agree and were off. Midway I check Uber, a 1.9 surge, its sooner than I wanted but logon uber during the Lyft. Ping ! As luck would have it I'm going mostly that direction anyway, only had to back track about a mile. The 1.9 was a 5 miles trip towards home too. Cool ! :D So play'em for what its worth, but beware, it could backfire.
That's pretty cool.

But yeah, that definitely could backfire. If you recognize the address and it was in the opposite direction, for example, you could quickly cancel with no charge to the pax. Otherwise the pax is going to wonder where you are going.

Wednesday night I logged on and was cruising to the area I was plannig on working and I got a pop-up up telling me my rider had cancelled and that it wouldn't count against me. I hadn't received a ping and there was no indication the I was in the middle of a trip. I'm curious as to what, if anything, the pax saw on their phone. Probably wondering where in the world I was going.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 35045 $7, 3 pax. Each ride was only about 2.5 miles.

However, on my last trip, before I finished the ride, I accepted another ride about a mile away. Just as I get close, the pax cancels. Not even a minute later, I get this lovely text.
Our pax are just so classy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Our pax are just so classy.
Yeah I have had my share of pax issues, ranging from ****** people demanding outrageous routes, to people telling me that they will down vote my score if I don't remove the surge rate (ha), to one couple telling me that they refuse to tip anyone because tips are for hard working people.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I have had my share of pax issues, ranging from ****** people demanding outrageous routes, to people telling me that they will down vote my score if I don't remove the surge rate (ha), to one couple telling me that they refuse to tip anyone because tips are for hard working people.
I treat everyone pax the same. I try to provide the most excellent service I can. I am polite and friendly, and helpful if needed. I essentially try to act like a professional chauffer. I try my best to actually make Uber live up to its name.

But any pax who makes a negative remark or has a snarky attitude instantly gets a 1 star. Same professional-quality service to every pax, but vastly different ratings for them at the end of the trip.

Hopefully as they find it more and more difficult to obtain an Uber they will adjust their attitude.

I also down-rate any pax who I think is going to rate me poorly. It's sort of preemptive self-defense.

Had a pax who got in an extremely verbally abusive fight with his wife during the trip. The dude completely lost it. I figured this guy was going to kill my rating so I gave him a 1 star. I probably would have given him a 3, but the verbal abuse of his wife dropped him all the way down. The wife was cool throughout the entire thing and responded to his stupidity with calm logic. I predict a divorce in his future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's funny how those that tip are in the industry where they know the value of receiving a tip, versus those who think they're privileged. Just last night I took a UCR college student from MoVal to UCR and he gave me $2. Granted, I took the tip, but I'm sure $2 to any college student is a lot.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
That's pretty cool.
I got a pop-up up telling me my rider had cancelled and that it wouldn't count against me. I hadn't received a ping and there was no indication the I was in the middle of a trip. I'm curious as to what, if anything, the pax saw on their phone. Probably wondering where in the world I was going.
I've had that happen two or three times over the year. I think maybe testing something.

And yeah its a risk, however one can explain to them that your on a stacked request / trip. After you arrive should they question it or if they call you wondering whats up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You would think now it is pouring that there would be surging but nope I have been checking the map for the IE all day and there is nothing. Only the hourly yellow areas. Well and maybe a ten minute surge in Moval not worth chasing.
The IE Only really surges at bar closing, and depending where you are at the time you may see little to no surge, or epic surges (riverside and Temecula for instance can have an epic surge at 215 am)
The rest of the time it's base fare all day. Goal there is to limit your dead miles (unpaid miles) and find a good spot to camp out while waiting for your next pax

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
The surge is really eratic tonight in dt Riv. It started early 1.5 but fell off, back again up to 3.2 but gone. Most Sat nights its 3.2 or higher at this time 1:45 and climbing. To many peeps logged on now.

Most Vets know that once the drop is made go off line til you back near the dt area. These rookies are staying put and logged on. smh...

Well there was 8, all gone but one and there heading north. Surge back at 1.5,

Ended up in Newport again today, surge was very light compared to last Saturday, but it was like a Summer weekend at Balboa, traffic really bad. Today no prob getting around.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts