Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I've seen this topic in other cities on the forum.)

I realize some of you don't listen to any local radio. It's podcasts, Pandora, iHeartRadio, etc.

If you do listen to local radio, what is playing, with and without pax present? Do you always arrive with the radio on or only off? Always arrive and drive with it on low volume with front speakers only?

I listen to lots of WBZ 1030 AM talk radio in the early evenings and overnight; they are strictly news from 5 am to 8 pm weekdays with frequent traffic updates.

I like WRKO 680 AM at times, both with Howie Carr and sometimes Jeff Kuhner. Kim Carrigsn and VB at a.m. drive is tolerable at times.

I like Tom Ashbrook on 90.9 FM if my hours allow, though they repeat the show at 7 pm. Terri Gross can be engaging with different authors but I can't figure out her schedule or which NPR Station.

Musically, I'm starting to like the new 97.7 FM at times with their rhythm and blues. Took over for WAAF rock. Lots of older classics and some new ones like the Weeknd (that's how it's spelled?).

WERS 88.9 FM at Emerson College is good after 2 am; that show before is too sleepy and sultry while driving. But that station has a good variety of music during each block and on weekends.

92.5 FM, The River, is an alternative from Merrimack Valley; WBOS 92.9 FM can be a fine option, too.

I do like Felger and Mazz on The Sports Hub better than their competitors on 93.7 FM. Toucher and Rich is good for a.m. drive, maybe better than Kirk and Callahan, depending on topics.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My presets:
1. 89.7 News
2. 90.9 News
3. 98.5 Sports
4. 103.3 Top 40
5. 104.1 Top 40 old and new
6. 107.9 Top 40

Usually news during commutes, 4-6 presets rest of the time, unless theirs a big Boston game then the sports station. Always bounce to another station as soon as a commercial comes on, use the steering wheel controls so pax barely notice.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
i have evry preset available on my radio, I also use spotify as I can play the music from my phone and pax can pick thier own spotify stations via my tablet. (spotify "connect" is awesome)

Reactions: BostonTaxiDriver

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I never listen to talk radio with passengers. Don't want any kind of political talk in my car that can lead to hostile situations. With half the population suffering from Trump derangement syndrome last thing I need is to give people an opening.

I'm not afraid to say I stereotype when it comes to radio stations. If my passengers are latin or black and under 45 I play kiss108 or 96.9. White 45 and under get 92.9. People over 50 (any race) get 106.7.

By far the station I get complimented the most on is 92.9.

·
Registered
333 Posts
None! I provide my passengers commercial free music. My playlist on top 40 hits from the last 30 years is the reason i keep my rating so high (4.94) I make my music playlist at work and when i start driving in the evenings my spotify playlist is all synced up and ready to go. The majority of people compliment my music selection and then my clean car. If i take the wrong turn, or if the trip takes long people just dont care, they feel comfortable and entertained while they're in my car.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I usually don't listen to the radio when driving passengers only if passengers requested. There are lots more to focus on street light, GPS, drop off or pick up point if uberpool is added and pedestrians, emergency vehicles behind us. But do turn to 1030am or 108 if the uber pool as every passengers are so silent.

·
Registered
664 Posts
104.1 or 103.3 or 107.9 or stream music from my phone similar to those stations.

When pax not in the car or for morning rush/weekend day listen to podcasts, evenings I let the pax have music as they are norm on the way to/from something fun.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never listen to talk radio with passengers. Don't want any kind of political talk in my car that can lead to hostile situations. With half the population suffering from Trump derangement syndrome last thing I need is to give people an opening.

I'm not afraid to say I stereotype when it comes to radio stations. If my passengers are latin or black and under 45 I play kiss108 or 96.9. White 45 and under get 92.9. People over 50 (any race) get 106.7.

By far the station I get complimented the most on is 92.9.
Had a young white male pax just the other night saying he loves 92.9.

Weren't they about to fold maybe 10-15 years ago?

Nowadays, that station is considered part of true Boston radio, I guess, considering how all the others change formats and call letters more than years ago, perhaps.

I feel like when I defer to young pax of any color and play 94.5 or 96.9, I'm losing control. Some of the lyrics offend offend me yet some songs are acceptable to me, like most of 103.3 or Kiss 108.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Weren't they about to fold maybe 10-15 years ago?
I think they were a fledgling station in the past. They really didn't have an identity. Their new format is 90's to now/alternative. They don't even have a DJ. The white college kids love it as do people in their 40's.

I feel like when I defer to young pax of any color and play 94.5 or 96.9, I'm losing control. Some of the lyrics offend offend me yet some songs are acceptable to me, like most of 103.3 or Kiss 108.
I like all kinds of music. I can listen to rap one minute and Sinatra the next and then Godsmack. You really aren't losing control. You are controlling the pax by keeping them content.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I listen to adult top 40 almost exclusively when I have a passenger - fairly middle of the road --- or classic rock (I drive primarily Friday night / Saturday's so my clientele is pretty much the 20's and 30's demographic.

I listen to Howie Carr and other talk radio hosts--- but strictly when no else in car.

I keep on 1 station and rarely change it... I keep it on a sound level where it's easily heard, but not obtrusive to conversation.
If some asks about other music, I will change it to accommodate (rarely happens). If asked I will provide my aux cord (rarely happens).

Interestingy enough: While I was 'getting my Uber legs' I used to listen to country almost exclusively (my personal music choice)..... but switched as I saw my ratings increase back up (don't know if there is a correlation or not).
Common sense would say to stay away from politics. Though I still can't help but to occasionally joke (when uber maps give 'odd' directions) " maybe the Russians hacked it"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts