Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been driving almost a year and a half. Now, my starter is starting to give out on my car at 46,000 miles.

In 1.5 years I’ve done the following maintenance/repairs

5 new tires
7 oil changes
New brakes
New battery
New starter (pending $700-1.000)
Alternator ($1,000+) (AAA tech said it’s at 50% power left and could give out in next year

My car is a 2015 Honda Fit. I feel like there are going to continue to be major bills racking up. Every time I get a big repair bill I want to quit driving.

·
Banned
9,183 Posts
been driving almost a year and a half. Now, my starter is starting to give out on my car at 46,000 miles.

In 1.5 years I've done the following maintenance/repairs

5 new tires
7 oil changes
New brakes
New battery
Alternator ($1,000+) (AAA tech said it's at 50% power left and could give out in next year

My car is a 2015 Honda Fit. I feel like there are going to continue to be major bills racking up. Every time I get a big repair bill I want to quit driving.
So, you bought a 2015 vehicle in 2016 with very low miles and none of this is covered under warranty? Kind of odd that you purchased a Fit - doesn't sound anything like it.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, you bought a 2015 vehicle in 2016 with very low miles and none of this is covered under warranty? Kind of odd that you purchased a Fit - doesn't sound anything like it.
I bought the car brand new almost 4 years ago. First 2.5 years I drove 14,000 miles then drove 32,000 since starting Uber 1.5 years ago.

What's going on with your car ? my new European fancy car isn't that high maintenance lol
What do you drive? This Fit is not built for hard core commercial driving (obviously)

·
Premium Member
822 Posts

5 new tires
7 oil changes
New brakes
New battery
Alternator ($1,000+) (AAA tech said it's at 50% power left and could give out in next year

Starter, battery, or alrternator does not sound like issues relating to driving a lot.

·
Banned
9,183 Posts
I bought the car brand new almost 4 years ago. First 2.5 years I drove 14,000 miles then drove 32,000 since starting Uber 1.5 years ago.

What do you drive? This Fit is not built for hard core commercial driving (obviously)
BMW SUV that does not qualify for XL but does Select. Technically not mine but I may offer to purchase it from my spouse - all maintenance and potential repairs, including oil changes, are covered up to 100k. I was originally going to utilize it just till the end of September as it's just too nice of a car to be using for ridesharing BUT with all maintenance and repairs covered under warranty it may be the better option to keep it. Only 19mpg in the city though. First full week I made $900 after gas but only worked 34hrs($155 in gas)...last week net $750 after gas and only 25hrs - 1st tier quests.

I think it's better for me to put the volume in and aim for $2k/wk for 4 months and purchase something a little more useful for this type of work - something that qualifies for XL. I don't pay rent or a mortgage so my monthly expenses are much lower than most of you so I can afford the extra gas cost.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

5 new tires
7 oil changes
New brakes
New battery

That's a very poor maintenance record. A battery should last well over 100,000 miles and sane for the starter and alternator. Do you have an aftermarket sound system that draws a lot of power?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just looked up Honda new car warranties, boy they suck.
Hyundai 100k warranty is one good reason to go that way. They installed me a new engine when it threw a rod at over 90k, an engine shouldn’t throw a rod that early, but then an owner doing rideshare should change the oil occasionally...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts