• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Quick Question: Must Rider be 18 yrs or older?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFdriver

I have a question....I just heard from another driver that riders (I'm assuming when not accompanied by the account holder) need to be at least 18 yrs of age. Is this true?

I've picked up a teenager for 3 trips now. (First time...I didn't know it was a 15 yo. It seems his Father ordered the ride for him. I thought it was the Father I was picking up until I got there).

The second and third times....I picked the kid up...and each time he almost damaged my car..SHOVING his hockey sticks/sports gear through my hatch back and almost hitting me in the head with them. He just seemed very disrespectful...and each time I had him as a PAX, I noticed my rating got dinged.
If I get a ping from him again....can I refuse the ride if I know that he is unaccompanied by the account holder? If so, what should I say. Thanks for advice! (Also, do we have the right to 'CARD' a PAX?) :rolleyes:

LEAFdriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you! I did not know this since I've never been put in this position before. Should I report the account holder then? Or just wait till I get another ping from him...arrive and cancel as a no show...since it's not the account holder that I am picking up?

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
Thank you! I did not know this since I've never been put in this position before. Should I report the account holder then? Or just wait till I get another ping from him...arrive and cancel as a no show...since it's not the account holder that I am picking up?
Well, hopefully by now you can recognize the ping and avoid it.

If not, as soon as you recognize you're going to the pickup location again, cancel as "do not charge rider" and go offline to avoid the new request.

If Uber ever asks you about it, tell them it's an underage rider and refer Uber to their own legal terms.

It's a waste of time to report what's already happened. Uber doesn't give a shit. Not only do they ignore laws, they ignore their own terms and policies.

Just cover your ass if they question why you cancel the request. Cover your ass is really all drivers can do in UberWorld.

LEAFdriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well...I really wanted to avoid having a cancel or ignore on my record....considering they shouldn't be requesting in the first place. If I pick 'do not charge rider'....does it not go into my 'cancelled' quota then?

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
Well...I really wanted to avoid having a cancel or ignore on my record....considering they shouldn't be requesting in the first place. If I pick 'do not charge rider'....does it not go into my 'cancelled' quota then?
It shows up as a driver cancel.

If you complain about this customer, you'll lose more than you'll gain, because Uber isn't going to do anything about it. They want the $1 SRF and the 20%, even if it means you breaking the law and losing money. If you complain, then they have to deal with a driver complaining, and all they want is for driver complaints to just go away. Every complaint you make is one complaint closer to being deactivated.

observer

One thing you need to realize is that if he is say 15 yrs old, and something goes wrong, he is able to sue you until he turns 18.

A long time ago, I hit a young kid I think he was 11-12 something like that, luckily he wasn't hurt. I forgot about it, many years later, when the kid turned 18, I got a notice from my insurance company stating they were closing his case.

Desert Driver

I transport persons under the age of 18 very frequently. We're cabs, and cabs give rides to kids all the time. I have one rider who pings me every morning at 7:17 and I take her to school when I'm available. I think she's 15 or 16. It's no big deal. Don't worry about transporting kids. Be more worried about Uber rate cuts.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
I transport persons under the age of 18 very frequently. We're cabs, and cabs give rides to kids all the time. I have one rider who pings me every morning at 7:17 and I take her to school when I'm available. I think she's 15 or 16. It's no big deal. Don't worry about transporting kids. Be more worried about Uber rate cuts.
If you get into an accident, I pray James River doesn't play the "Uber's Terms and Conditions" card on you and refuse to cover it.

Sacto Burbs

Jodi at Uber (Uber)

Jan 24, 14:08

Hi !

Thanks for reaching out, always happy to help!

Riders are allowed to request an Uber trip for other people. Usually, they are asked to text you, the driver, the information of who you are picking up. If you don't have the information you need in order to find the rider, please feel free to contact the rider (or person requesting the ride). But generally, as long as the trip is going, and you have verified that you picked up the right person, the trip will proceed as normal. The only times I have seen an issue is when the account holder cancels the ride, and the passenger is still in the vehicle (with the trip not over) Unfortunately, in this case, the rider would need to either a- exit the vehicle since the trip is over, b- request their own uber trip with their own account.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Jodi
Uber Support

Jan 24, 00:52

Hi

This is happened to me several times this week.

I arrive, the account holder is not there. The person says Someone else ordered the Uber for them.

First, account holder was there and put her friend in the car and I took the friend to the airport

Second was a high school student who I took to his basketball practice

Third was someone who was not the account holder, and we picked up a second passenger and continued to destination

Last, the account holder actually called me and told me that I would be picking up his mother

What am I supposed to do in each of these situations?

Fuzzyelvis

I would accept then call and ask if you are picking the kid up. If they say yes tell them you have become aware that is against uber policy and that they should please cancel unless an adult will ride with the child.

scrurbscrud

Yeah, except Uber prohibits it.

scrurbscrud

I haven't tried to get a cancellation fee on kid orders, yet. May try in the near future just to see what happens. Nothing pisses me off more than making a no pay run to an underage pax.

Sydney Uber

One thing you need to realize is that if he is say 15 yrs old, and something goes wrong, he is able to sue you until he turns 18.

A long time ago, I hit a young kid I think he was 11-12 something like that, luckily he wasn't hurt. I forgot about it, many years later, when the kid turned 18, I got a notice from my insurance company stating they were closing his case.
Whoa! Dodged a bullet there!

Desert Driver

Yeah, except Uber prohibits it.
Who gives a shit? Uber also says I should accept 100% of my pings, but I don't. Uber also expects me to drive more than 10 minutes to pick up a pax, but I don't. You know as well as the rest of us, @scrurbscrud, that if we followed all Uber's rules and expectations that we'd make no money at all and we'd be driving for charity.

scrurbscrud

Who gives a shit? Uber also says I should accept 100% of my pings, but I don't. Uber also expects me to drive more than 10 minutes to pick up a pax, but I don't. You know as well as the rest of us, @scrurbscrud, that if we followed all Uber's rules and expectations that we'd make no money at all and we'd be driving for charity.
Drivers are certainly welcome to violate any rule at their own risk, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.