Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got an email today stating that I am canceling 1/3 of my rides and that I am making Uber unreliable. Pretty much the only cancels I do are quick cancels so they must be referring to those. I only started doing quick cancels because I got threatening text messages from uber regarding my acceptance rate. Now it looks like quick cancels are no longer an option either. Has anyone else received these emails? Has anyone got deactivated for this?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nah, my quick cancel brotha quick cancel away. I got the same email and nowhere in were they threatening action as they have in the past. Maybe they will deactivate my ass one day but I'm calling their bluff for now, especially amidst their contractor vs employee battle. They want me to chill on the cancels? Fine, they can pay me gas and mileage.

350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not accept pings when you are driving?
I don't understand why you would have the app on and not accept, or accept and cancel pings.
Personally, I accept all pings when I have the app on. I only cxl for low scoring pax or pings over 11 minutes.
You can't be serious. This morning I was in a zone with a 2.2 surge price, but two blocks away the zone had no surge. I had several non-surge calls come in, I quick cancelled those. I then got a 2.2 surge that netted me $20 in 15 minutes. Are you saying you would have accepted the first non-surge call that came in?
BTW I'm in SF, which is a small city where surge zones are constantly next to non-surge zones. It's ubers creation, not mine.
*please tell me I missed your sarcasm or something

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why not accept pings when you are driving?
I don't understand why you would have the app on and not accept, or accept and cancel pings.
Personally, I accept all pings when I have the app on. I only cxl for low scoring pax or pings over 11 minutes.
Its a different ballgame in san francisco, surge zones are close together and often vary greatly in exponential. Additionally, i will cancel requests that are a pain in the ass to get to which happens quite often

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You can't be serious. This morning I was in a zone with a 2.2 surge price, but two blocks away the zone had no surge. I had several non-surge calls come in, I quick cancelled those. I then got a 2.2 surge that netted me $20 in 15 minutes. Are you saying you would have accepted the first non-surge call that came in?
BTW I'm in SF, which is a small city where surge zones are constantly next to non-surge zones. It's ubers creation, not mine.
*please tell me I missed your sarcasm or something
Is it really going to be worth it if you get deactivated? I drive full-time in San Francisco as well, and although I may not have as much experience as you do driving for Uber, I really don't understand the point of drivers canceling rides left & right because you'll get 1 surge ride for every 10 cancels you do. If this is your only income (like it currently is for me), I wouldn't risk it especially if Uber is already warning you.

350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it really going to be worth it if you get deactivated? I drive full-time in San Francisco as well, and although I may not have as much experience as you do driving for Uber, I really don't understand the point of drivers canceling rides left & right because you'll get 1 surge ride for every 10 cancels you do. If this is your only income (like it currently is for me), I wouldn't risk it especially if Uber is already warning you.
I worked about 18 or 19 hours this week and have already made 700 using my system. I know for a fact that I would not have made this much accepting non-surge price requests. I am an independent contractor, as of now, and I should have complete discretion over who I pick up. Not be be a dick but I kind of feel like it is drivers like yourself accepting these low priced rides and doing everything uber tells them that ****s it up for the rest of us. They only started hassling me about this shit when they built up their stockpile of mindless minions.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I worked about 18 or 19 hours this week and have already made 700 using my system. I know for a fact that I would not have made this much accepting non-surge price requests. I am an independent contractor, as of now, and I should have complete discretion over who I pick up. Not be be a dick but I kind of feel like it is drivers like yourself accepting these low priced rides and doing everything uber tells them that ****s it up for the rest of us. They only started hassling me about this shit when they built up their stockpile of mindless minions.
You SHOULD have discretion over who you pick up, but you're not the one that invented Uber. And although you're an independent contractor, your still doing work FOR Uber whether you're an employee or not. The point I was trying to make was, what happens when Uber does actually deactivate your account because of your "system?" I don't quite understand how my acceptance of low surge rides is screwing you over when Uber is the one threatening to de-activate you for cancelations. It's pretty straight forward...maintain an okay rating, and maintain an okay acceptance rate, or find another way to make easy money on your own terms.

350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You SHOULD have discretion over who you pick up, but you're not the one that invented Uber. And although you're an independent contractor, your still doing work FOR Uber whether you're an employee or not. The point I was trying to make was, what happens when Uber does actually deactivate your account because of your "system?" I don't quite understand how my acceptance of low surge rides is screwing you over when Uber is the one threatening to de-activate you for cancelations. It's pretty straight forward...maintain an okay rating, and maintain an okay acceptance rate, or find another way to make easy money on your own terms.
And my point was uber never used to hassle us about these things until they had drivers willing to settle for less. Btw my rating is 4.9 and acceptance rate at 97, but I still get hassled for quick canceling. I'm glad you think driving in SF traffic with tech bros in your backseat is easy money. Check back in next year and let me know how easy it feels.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
And my point was uber never used to hassle us about these things until they had drivers willing to settle for less. Btw my rating is 4.9 and acceptance rate at 97, but I still get hassled for quick canceling. I'm glad you think driving in SF traffic with tech bros in your backseat is easy money. Check back in next year and let me know how easy it feels.
Who cares what they used to do? You're obviously not happy about the amount of new drivers they have in the Bay Area, but don't want to make any changes. No one is holding a gun to your head telling you to drive for a company you despise.

I'm curious to know what you were doing before Uber came around. I don't plan on doing this in a year .. Uber isn't meant to be someone's career like you're trying to make it out to be.

350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who cares what they used to do? You're obviously not happy about the amount of new drivers they have in the Bay Area, but don't want to make any changes. No one is holding a gun to your head telling you to drive for a company you despise.

I'm curious to know what you were doing before Uber came around. I don't plan on doing this in a year .. Uber isn't meant to be someone's career like you're trying to make it out to be.
If I told you what my other job is you wouldn't believe me. Also, I don't despise uber. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything close to that. Why are you curious what I did before uber? I'm not curious what you used to do. I don't care what you will do after either. I make amazing money on the side with uber. I just want to be able to use the system how I desire, that's all. You sound like such a snob. You fit right in with the passengers.
Btw what if I was trying to feed my family with this job? Would you still have such a piss poor high and mighty attitude. Enjoy your 1.30 per mile this evening in rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
If I told you what my other job is you wouldn't believe me. Also, I don't despise uber. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything close to that. Why are you curious what I did before uber? I'm not curious what you used to do. I don't care what you will do after either. I make amazing money on the side with uber. I just want to be able to use the system how I desire, that's all. You sound like such a snob. You fit right in with the passengers.
Btw what if I was trying to feed my family with this job? Would you still have such a piss poor high and mighty attitude. Enjoy your 1.30 per mile this evening in rush hour traffic.
I can look at your most recent posts in this forum and 99% of them is you talking shit about Uber...that's where I got the "you despise Uber" part.
I'm curious to know what you did before Uber because I highly doubt it was as easy as driving for Uber considering Uber's standards are pretty low for drivers. Where else are you going to make $700 in less than 20 hours a week without a degree or experience of some sort?!
Lastly, please don't accuse me of being a snob just because I disagree with you; don't forget, those tech bros in your backseat are the ones consistently depositing money into your bank account every Thursday. Grow the **** up.

350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can look at your most recent posts in this forum and 99% of them is you talking shit about Uber...that's where I got the "you despise Uber" part.
I'm curious to know what you did before Uber because I highly doubt it was as easy as driving for Uber considering Uber's standards are pretty low for drivers. Where else are you going to make $700 in less than 20 hours a week without a degree or experience of some sort?!
Lastly, please don't accuse me of being a snob just because I disagree with you; don't forget, those tech bros in your backseat are the ones consistently depositing money into your bank account every Thursday. Grow the **** up.
I feel so special that you researched my posts. You liked one of those anti-uber posts from what I see. Pretty ironic. Also, I don't consider driving in SF traffic easy. Btw I have a graduate degree and do make more than I make at uber, but the bay is expensive so I work extra. I called you a snob because your comments directly indicate that you look down on people who make a career out of uber, not because you disagree with me. Raisier deposits the money. Nobody likes the tech bros. looking at your pic I think your the one who has some growing to do

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I feel so special that you researched my posts. You liked one of those anti-uber posts from what I see. Pretty ironic. Also, I don't consider driving in SF traffic easy. Btw I have a graduate degree and do make more than I make at uber, but the bay is expensive so I work extra. I called you a snob because your comments directly indicate that you look down on people who make a career out of uber, not because you disagree with me. Raisier deposits the money. Nobody likes the tech bros. looking at your pic I think your the one who has some growing to do
Oh my god, we can both literally go back & forth until we're blue in the face, but the sole purpose of my response to your thread was simply to say...if you're so unhappy about being nagged by Uber, and being annoyed by the passengers, then why even bother driving?! I don't look down on anyone and I'm really annoyed at how quick you are to judge someone over the internet (including my age - I'm 29 and definitely don't think I'm acting as childish as you are). Unlike you, I quit my corporate job to do this full-time so technically, Uber is currently my career and I don't care what anyone thinks about that. Do I really think this is going to consistently be good money where there's more demand than drivers as time goes on? Absolutely not, which is why I stated this isn't meant to be someone's long term career. In a few years, Uber will be solely operated by self driving cars and there will literally be hundreds of thousands of people around the world that Uber has trained to make decent money solely by driving and will all of the sudden be out of work with no other experience, or training to do anything else. It's sad, but I hope everyone who is currently driving for Uber or Lyft realize that.

I quit my high paying job with full benefits to do Uber simply because I was unhappy at my 9 to 5, and I loved doing Uber on the side, so I made it my only source of income. I actually love meeting people from different industries and from different parts of the world while driving that I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to meet elsewhere. I love being outside on the road instead of in some cubical with one window if you're lucky. I love being able to choose when I want to work, what time I want to work, and not be reprimanded if I don't show up one day. Yes, Uber has a lot of downfalls, but for me - the good outweigh the bad. When I get to the point where I'm longer enjoying this...the point I think you're already at, I simply won't do it anymore.

350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh my god, we can both literally go back & forth until we're blue in the face, but the sole purpose of my response to your thread was simply to say...if you're so unhappy about being nagged by Uber, and being annoyed by the passengers, then why even bother driving?! I don't look down on anyone and I'm really annoyed at how quick you are to judge someone over the internet (including my age - I'm 29 and definitely don't think I'm acting as childish as you are). Unlike you, I quit my corporate job to do this full-time so technically, Uber is currently my career and I don't care what anyone thinks about that. Do I really think this is going to consistently be good money where there's more demand than drivers as time goes on? Absolutely not, which is why I stated this isn't meant to be someone's long term career. In a few years, Uber will be solely operated by self driving cars and there will literally be hundreds of thousands of people around the world that Uber has trained to make decent money solely by driving and will all of the sudden be out of work with no other experience, or training to do anything else. It's sad, but I hope everyone who is currently driving for Uber or Lyft realize that.

I quit my high paying job with full benefits to do Uber simply because I was unhappy at my 9 to 5, and I loved doing Uber on the side, so I made it my only source of income. I actually love meeting people from different industries and from different parts of the world while driving that I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to meet elsewhere. I love being outside on the road instead of in some cubical with one window if you're lucky. I love being able to choose when I want to work, what time I want to work, and not be reprimanded if I don't show up one day. Yes, Uber has a lot of downfalls, but for me - the good outweigh the bad. When I get to the point where I'm longer enjoying this...the point I think you're already at, I simply won't do it anymore.
Thank you for the first chapter of your autobiography. I would just like to remind you that I think this all started because you took issue with me complaining about uber, which really shouldn't bug you at all because you are not uber. If you haven't noticed a lot of us complain about Uber on here as a way to vent. Not all of us quit a job because the going gets tough. Personally I just ***** about it to my peers and hang in there

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Thank you for the first chapter of your autobiography. I would just like to remind you that I think this all started because you took issue with me complaining about uber, which really shouldn't bug you at all because you are not uber. If you haven't noticed a lot of us complain about Uber on here as a way to vent. Not all of us quit a job because the going gets tough. Personally I just ***** about it to my peers and hang in there
I have no issue with you *****ing about Uber, I have a problem with you *****ing about being deactivated because you accept and cancel rides on people if the surge isn't high enough for you...if you get deactivated for it, you deserved it. I didn't quit my job because the "going gets tough," I quit my job because I hated it. Enjoy "hanging in there" :)

350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have no issue with you *****ing about Uber, I have a problem with you *****ing about being deactivated because you accept and cancel rides on people if the surge isn't high enough for you...if you get deactivated for it, you deserved it. I didn't quit my job because the "going gets tough," I quit my job because I hated it. Enjoy "hanging in there" :)
You are such a pro uber policy ****ing idiot that I am baffled you are driving. You should be an uber ambassador you kool aid drinking newbie

1 - 20 of 101 Posts