Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new driver, for the past three weeks, and I thought I would ask a few questions. First of all I was never told I could have my car impounded and fined 250.00 for picking up a fair at Jax international Airport.

Ratings.
Yesterday I had a 4.61 I drove last night had good fairs and this morning I have 4.48 after a night of good fairs and tips yet I see no reviews from last nights fairs. I know one customer was very happy as others.

I accepted a fair 18 min away when I got there they cancelled I was told you cannot cancel after 5 min.

Unsafe Driving report a idiot almost broadsided me not my fault yet the fair sends in a report. Is this a contestable.

Finally if you have low ratings do the they suspend you, and can you look at individual fairs ratings, and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome aboard Dennis.

UBER will rarely give you information of any kind, unless it is in their best interest to do so. By intentionally keeping things vague they keep their options open.

For example, if they were up front with people about the possibility of their car being impounded (or any of the countless other negative realities of driving for UBER) many potential drivers might decide not to sign up. That would not be in UBER's best interest.

On the plus side, and there are many of those as well, UBER understands the learning curve involved with new drivers. Unless something egregious happens, they won't give you too much flak during your first 100 (or so) rated trips. Like a hitter in baseball, your average will tend to fluctuate wildly in the beginning and less so as time goes on. Once you complete 500 rated trips, your rating is only based on the last 500.

Keep in mind that your rating is the average number of stars given by the riders who chose to rate you. While drivers must rate riders before they can receive the next ping, riders are under no obligation to rate the driver.

Additionally, if they do rate rate a driver, it might be several days after the trip occurred. That is why you could see your rating decline after, what you thought was, a good night or improve after a tough shift.

Depending upon your area, accepting a fare 18 minutes away may not be a wise strategy for generating profits. That being said, a rider may cancel at any time prior to you beginning trip. If they cancel five minutes or more after placing the request you should be entitled to a cancellation fee. If you did not receive one, email UBER. You may need to be persistent.

For obvious reasons, Unsafe Driving reports are taken pretty seriously. Driving people around can be overwhelming for anyone, never more so than when you're just starting out.

By no means am I suggesting this is what happened in your case, but picture this: You're nervous, riders, traffic, the GPS and what seems like a hundred other things are all competing for your attention simultaneously. In that situation, it is not difficult to imagine how, someone could miss a stop sign partially hidden by a tree and then almost be broadsided by another car. In some places that's called Tuesday, and most riders wouldn't bat an eye. However, in other cities, a pax would be far less understanding and fire off a nasty email as soon as they changed their underwear.

Unsafe Driving reports are not "contestable" per se, but I would certainly recommend emailling UBER to get your side of things on record.

Incidents are going to happen. You do what you can to keep them to an absolute minimum and move on. It's not easy but try not to dwell on a mistake. Doing so will only increase the odds of another one occurring.

UBER allows the general manager of each market a great deal of autonomy. This is wise because of the enormous number of variables from city to city. It is important to keep that fact in mind when reading the entries in this forum. What is true in one area may not necessarily be true in another. For that reason, the Cities portion of UPN can be a good place to look for information specific to your area.

Low ratings are very much handled on a case by case basis. Anything from immediate deactivation without an explanation to nothing at all is possible. Many people, myself included, have seen their ratings improve dramatically after they decide to not give a crap about them.

I hope this helps a little bit, I've found more than a few good ideas here.

Again welcome and good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to take the time and thank you for that very professional response and it made perfect sense to me especially the fact that you're picking people up late at night some that are intoxicated and yet although they might be pleasant end said they would rate you highly they may forget and it may be days later before they get around to it so that makes perfect sense on why my ratings would drop the unsafe driving report I just have to live with that again thank you for taking the time and answering these questions

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am a new driver, for the past three weeks, and I thought I would ask a few questions. Welcome.
First of all I was never told I could have my car impounded and fined 250.00 for picking up a fair at Jax international Airport. Uber doesn't always tell drivers everything they should know. Always do your own research on local laws, insurance, taxes, etc. These forums are a good place to start, but don't take everything you read at face value. Always confirm with your own research.
Ratings - Yesterday I had a 4.61 I drove last night had good fairs and this morning I have 4.48 after a night of good fairs and tips yet I see no reviews from last nights fairs. I know one customer was very happy as others. Don't worry too much about ratings. They can be inconsistent. A rainy day almost always drops my rating compared to a sunny day. And pax are not requried to rate, and they can rate you even weeks after the ride.
I accepted a fair 18 min away when I got there they cancelled I was told you cannot cancel after 5 min. Pax can cancel at anytime. After 5 minutes you should get a fee. It's up to you, but I generally avoid any fare that's more than 10 minutes away, at least in my market. Too much expense in dead miles for what is likely a $4 minimum fare. But you know your area/city better than I. You are not required to accept every ping request, but it's a good idea to complete as many as you accept (don't arbitrarily cancel without reason - such as no show or other unpreventable obstacles). If you decline (aka don't accept) too many requests you might get a nastygram from Uber or a time-out, but they can't deactivate you for that anymore.
Unsafe Driving report a idiot almost broadsided me not my fault yet the fair sends in a report. Is this a contestable. There really isn't a way to contest a comment, but if you're concerned you can always email in and get your story on record (or use the app to report an issue with the ride) so if something does come of it you've got some recourse. Your best bet is to have a 2-way dashcam going at all times you have pax in the car. So if you have a "near-miss" like that you can save that video in case there is an inquiry to show you were driving safely, etc. There's a few posts on that. This one is a good start: https://uberpeople.net/threads/anyo...ir-light-for-their-dashcam.70530/#post-988437
Finally if you have low ratings do the they suspend you, and can you look at individual fairs ratings, and thanks for the help. Over time, yes, but as a newbie you'll get some slack.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Dennis I drive in Jax as well. Stay away from the beach after 10pm. That alone will help the rating. Speaking from experience. Yea JIA is a problem for pick ups. I only drop off. With that said I'm thinking about going through the process to "get legal" to pick up. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts