Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, I'm a new driver..3 weeks in. I have a few questions if anyone can help please.

Seat belts? No one in the backseat wears their seatbelt. Do I need to tell them?
Is it the law that all passengers wear one?
Insurance liability?

Surge: I can never seem to get surge pricing. Unless I'm wrong.
When it shows surge pricing at bottom of map does that mean the mile price increases for everywhere? Or just the red areas? What if it is yellow or orange.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Seat belt use is mandatory in Maryland. You bet your ass I tell my riders to buckle up in the back before we move . Do not move until they buckle up. It takes what... 10 seconds?

Do not chase surges, you have to predict where they are. Most likely gone by the time you get there. It only applies to the red zones. Download the passenger app too so you see where the other drivers are, and place the pushpin around the map to get real-time surge pricing if any.

Get a two-way dashcam and mount it on your front windshield. Protects your ass in case of an accident that you didn't cause, and rear-facing camera keeps most of the riders honest. Since you're female, really recommend it to keep the male riders from sexual harassment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can imagine people aren't gong to be happy if they have to buckle up. If they refuse... Kick out and cancel trip? I assume my rating will go down if people don't like to wear seat belts. Of course safety and legal issues are more important than ratings... Just saying lol.
Also another question... :)
If I am waiting for rider to come in vehicle and they take their sweet time... Do I start trip when they get in car or when I arrive?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Also another question... :)
If I am waiting for rider to come in vehicle and they take their sweet time... Do I start trip when they get in car or when I arrive?
I always start the trip immediately after I arrive and call them. It never hurt my rating. Courtesy goes both ways, drivers arrive promptly, riders can see where the drivers are and alert when you hit the "Arrive" button. No excuse to take their sweet time without paying.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello and Welcome

You should ask them. I've had to ask a few people, no one's ever made a scene. I've found that cabbies in Baltimore don't seem to enforce it, and they also seem A-OK with 6 people in the back seat. I've had to deny rides to groups of 6, and they say "the cabs let us."

I agree, don't chase surges. You can predict them, but don't chase them. You know that any area with bars is going to surge between 1am-2am. Sporting events, when the event ends, buisness areas usually surge around rush hours. It's an art form. Only Red areas are surges, Yellow and Orange are pre-surge.

I agree 100% on getting a dash camera. They are the best thing since sliced bread.

I personally don't begin trips until passengers are in the car. I wait 3 minutes, call, wait 2 more minutes, then cancel due to rider no show. You get your 5 bucks. If you start the trip, and they no show, or anything goes wrong, the only way out is to not charge them. If you start the trip, and then end it, they can give you a 1 star rating for leaving them. The only way to avoid it is to use the "do not charge" option. So you get no money. 5 minutes, cancel due to no show, you get your 5 bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts