Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am a new driver in Prince George's county and I have been lurking on the threads here. It is hard to talk to someone and I have visited Uber in person once, but I still would like to get some experienced feedback on a few remaining questions.

1. I have an out of state registration and license and was told that I can only pick up in Maryland and Virginia. I was also told that I have to get a Virginia inspection. Is this accurate? If I don't plan to ever pick up in Virginia do I still have to get the VA inspection?

2. I signed up through a driver referral and now Uber is telling me that the person who referred you gets the bonus but the new driver doesn't receive anything. Insight?

3. As stated before I live in Prince George's County, what are some good areas, days/times to scout? Either in the county or otherwise? I've only been driving for about 3 days and I'm not entirely sure I'm doing this thing correctly so any advice is needed?

Basically I'm VERY NEW and could use any/all advice that is appropriate to share :)

Thanks!!

·
25,803 Posts
1. The District of Columbia requires that TNC vehicles have licence plates from D.C., Maryland or Vriginia. The driver must have a licence from one of those jurisdictions, as well. That is why you will not be able to pick up in the District of Columbia. Maryland and Virginia (and D.C., for that matter) require a safety inspection for all TNC vehicles. Each jurisdiction in question will accept an inspection from another jurisdiction in question. Uber seems to prefer the Virginia inspection. There used to be a few places that would do it and bill Uber for the cost, but I do not know if that still obtains. Check with Uber on that one.

2. Uber has had sign-on bonuses in the past for drivers. Often, it depended on who you are, who sent you, what day of the week it was that you signed up and if the Nationals were playing a home game that was not interleague or against a team that was founded after 1980. Uber may be telling you the truth on that one: NO BONUS FOR YOU!

3. Prince George's County is my one weakness in the Washington Metropolitan Area. I know very little about it, once I get south and east of Cheverly. Even between Hillandale and Cheverly, I do not know that much about it. Sorry, I can not help you on that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!! Your response was so thorough!!

I may be pushing my luck by asking you this, but do you know where in Maryland I should start driving if PG is a weak area? You don't have to tell me all your secrets, but any advice to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks again, you cleared a lot up for me. I 'm not able to get that bonus but I plan to push hard for the guaranteed fares :)

·
25,803 Posts
do you know where in Maryland I should start driving if PG is a weak area? You don't have to tell me all your secrets, but any advice to get started would be appreciated.
I am not stating that Prince George's County is a "weak" area. If that was what you got out of that, it was not my intention. What I meant was that I do not know as much about it as I know about other jurisdictions in the Metropolitan Area, particullarly D.C. and Arlington. I know more about D.C., Arlington, Alexandria, Farifax and Montgomery County than I do about Prince George's. It is the one "area" in which I personally, have weak knowledge. I do not know that much about it.

Quite the contrary, from what I have seen posted here, as well as what I have observed on surge maps, there is good demand in Prince George's County. The few times that I have gone there, I have received pings out there. It is simply that I do not work there very much, so I do not know much about it. I drive a cab in D.C., in addition to driving UberX. I never took too many people to Prince George's County. I never refused to take anyone there (there was a time when you could do that in a D.C. cab), I just never received too many requests to go there. I prefer to work what I know, which is why I favour D.C. and Arlington. I know them the best.

I state that I can not help you with Prince George's County only because I lack both the experience and knowledge of driving there.

·
Premium Member
24,050 Posts
You should get registered, if you can, so that you can do DC'MD/VA. You'll eventually wind up in all 3. If you get a trip to VA, do you want to deadhead back to MD from Fairfax? It will keep you busier, and also allow you to get your trip counts up for the Money Metal Bonuses program.

I block off certain times to do Uber. I don't really care where I wind up going during those times. I want to have an ass in the backseat as much as possible during those times. Some here would say there's already an ass in the drivers seat...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I tend to do the metro close to my home, when i have something to do nearby...most are short trips and no traffic headaches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts