Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Premium Member
I took 3 weeks off over Christmas, and they were sending me personalized texts at the end of week 3, basically grovelling to talk to me about my absence from the app.

All that matters to me is the money as well.

Registered
I鈥檝e been getting emails from them for a survey about why I quit driving. Have any of you gotten it? If so, what answers did you give out of curiosity?

I let them know it has 100% to do with money and 0% to do with anything else. I hope you all did the same 馃槀

I made $25-$30 p/hr. It had NOTHING to do with money. It had EVERYTHING to do with how much the company sucks, how they defend the pax and threaten the driver, how inherently dangerous the job is...but MOSTLY how much the company sucks and how pax can do anything and drivers get threatened with deactivation or some other penalty ALL. THE. TIME...

Premium Member
I made $25-$30 p/hr. It had NOTHING to do with money. It had EVERYTHING to do with how much the company sucks, how they defend the pax and threaten the driver, how inherently dangerous the job is...but MOSTLY how much the company sucks and how pax can do anything and drivers get threatened with deactivation or some other penalty ALL. THE. TIME...
I havent quit ...yet, But I have cut way back. Apparently not enough to trigger Ubers concern

If asked I would say, Its the money, But its not that the money isnt enough, its that I dont need as much today, as I did when I started. Today Im only going out when I have a scheduled ride. And Im doing more private private rides now

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see you鈥檙e from Philly too. $25-$30 an hour before expenses is probably about the best you can do today, but it鈥檚 trash compared to how it a couple years back. After expenses, its similar to burger flippin money and that鈥檚 if you drive a beater that sips gas. God forbid you got something relatively new or a V6 engine. Considering how much more expensive everything car related is now vs then, you鈥檇 have to make $40 an hour today before expenses to be like $25 an hour in 2019.

I agree you on the non money points you make, but you can largely control the safety level of the job and the amount of trifling scumbag customers you deal with by choosing when and where you drive. However, Uber controls the money flow and they are keeping a bigger and bigger cut for themselves with each passing day. I used to typically get at least 85% of the fare and often more than 100% of it. Now its rare i get more than 55% and believe me, I know all the tricks.

Registered
I see you鈥檙e from Philly too. $25-$30 an hour before expenses is probably about the best you can do today, but it鈥檚 trash compared to how it a couple years back. After expenses, its similar to burger flippin money and that鈥檚 if you drive a beater that sips gas. God forbid you got something relatively new or a V6 engine. Considering how much more expensive everything car related is now vs then, you鈥檇 have to make $40 an hour today before expenses to be like $25 an hour in 2019.

I agree you on the non money points you make, but you can largely control the safety level of the job and the amount of trifling scumbag customers you deal with by choosing when and where you drive. However, Uber controls the money flow and they are keeping a bigger and bigger cut for themselves with each passing day. I used to typically get at least 85% of the fare and often more than 100% of it. Now its rare i get more than 55% and believe me, I know all the tricks.
1) I'm not from Philly. I went into there to drive bc that's where the money was.
2) I have a very gas efficient car and spent roughly $20 - $25 per night doing about 250 miles or so. And I bought it specifically for doing rideshare. Brand new last April. Beaters are not gas efficient.

3) I'm not sure why you drivers like to say "after expenses, it's xxx"...my expenses were an oil change every 6k miles, which was about every 6 weeks. $65 at the dealer. Inexpensive front tires replaced at about 40k miles. Car insurance, but I'd have to pay that anyway, no matter what job I had, with a rideshare rider for an extra $22 a month.

So are you trying to say that $10 a week towards an oil change, $5.50 a week for rideshare insurance, and $100 a week for gas (out of $1300 - $1400 weekly profit) brings my pay of $30 or so per hour down to $10 or so? Where'd you learn math??? I worked 4 nights a week. That's 25 (gas), + 2.5 (for oil change), + 1.5 (for rideshare insurance rider). That's $29 per night expenses....out of $300-$350...Which means I made roughly $25- 27 p/hr after expenses. Nobody at McD's is making $27 p/hr Most rideshare drivers don't even GROSS that much per hour.

4) There's no way that you EVER got 85% of the fare and you DEFINITELY never got 100%. LET'S STOP THE BULLSH*T, ok?!
Neither Uber nor Lyft ever gave you ALL of the money they charged a pax.

5) I drove for 3 of the past 5 yrs, and the money was never higher "back then"..

6) You're delusional if you think you're controlling your safety level. The job is inherently dangerous. The blond-headed teen who slashed that driver to death a few years ago was picked up in a normal neighborhood, and she looked like any other clean cut 17 year old. He probably thought she looked safe too. But he's still dead because he didn't expect it.

Did you go off your meds this morning or something?
Rectangle Font Operating system Screenshot Parallel

Registered

Premium Member
Your point is what? No driver is getting 100% "most of the time", as he wrote. Or 85%.
You shouldn't write in absolutes:

4) There's no way that you EVER got 85% of the fare and you DEFINITELY never got 100%. LET'S STOP THE BULLSH*T, ok?!
Neither Uber nor Lyft ever gave you ALL of the money they charged a pax.
My point is that I have gotten more than 100% on numerous occasions. For a long time those kinds of percentages were an everyday occurrence for me.

I used to be pissed if Uber didn't lose money on a trip.

It's all in knowing your market and maximizing profit.

Registered
You shouldn't write in absolutes:

My point is that I have gotten more than 100% on numerous occasions. For a long time those kinds of percentages were an everyday occurrence for me.

I used to be pissed if Uber didn't lose money on a trip.

It's all in knowing your market and maximizing profit.

I get that. It's just the way you worded it: "I used to typically get at least 85% of the fare and often more than 100% of it.".
You are correct that it's all about knowing the market and maximizing profit. I marvel at drivers who complain how they sat in their driveway for 20 mins waiting for a ride. If I waited more than 3 mins for a ride, I moved to where the likelihood was more definite. Not sure why some drivers don't understand that part.

Registered

I bought a new Camry Hybrid a few months ago. I work NJ, I make $20-25 an hour after ALL vehicle expenses. I鈥檓 fully aware that things used to be better, but you can still make a decent living if youre in a decent, market and know how to hustle.

Premium Member
I鈥檝e been getting emails from them for a survey about why I quit driving. Have any of you gotten it? If so, what answers did you give out of curiosity?

I let them know it has 100% to do with money and 0% to do with anything else. I hope you all did the same 馃槀
For me, it's not the money. The primary reasons are:

It's a huge consumer of my time. While that relates to money, it's not the same thing. I'm trying to catch up on housework, not fall farther behind.

The other issue is the continuing pandemic. I've gotten all my shots, so there's not a lot of risk for me. But my Significant Other (who I do want to keep!) refuses to get any vaccine shots. Not exposing myself to potential covid infection helps keep my S.O. from getting it.

I haven't logged on to Uber in almost two years. I still want to, but it'll have to wait until the covid numbers get better.

Premium Member
COVID is here to stay. Once Omicron fades, there'll be another variant discovered somewhere else, and it will attack people differently than every other previous variant. We're in a never-ending game of Whack-A-Mole now.

I haven't quit, but I'm down to two or three rides per month, typically on days when I'm very bored. I'll go out on an afternoon and fire up all the delivery apps: Grub Hub, Door Dash, Uber, Lyft. I have much better luck with the other three compared to Uber.

With gas prices ridiculously high, and used cars even more ridiculous, it's just a lousy idea to keep doing this as a main source of income. Luckily, I have two W-2 jobs that more than pay my bills, so rideshare and delivery apps have moved to the backburner for a very long time. Perhaps permanently if the costs associated with this gig don't come down over the next year.

Premium Member

I haven't quit but I have given up thinking things will ever be like 2016 again.
Rideshare 2022 is what it is.
A minimum wage job.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a very gas efficient car and spent roughly $20 - $25 per night doing about 250 miles or so. And I bought it specifically for doing rideshare. Brand new last April. Beaters are not gas efficient.
My beater is extremely gas efficient. My 2010 Focus gets 25mpg in CC gridlock and 35mpg on the freeway, both of which are solid. At today鈥檚 gas prices it costs about 35c a mile to operate all in and that鈥檚 with exactly zero for depreciation, which on your brand new car is probably 35c a mile alone. It鈥檚 your biggest expense with a new vehicle and still counts even if you don鈥檛 realize it until you buy another car.

So lets say it really costs you 50c a mile in total to drive your new car or $125 a day when you realistically count your expenses, which is probably a low estimate. Still think you鈥檙e doing better than a spatula jockey?

Registered
total support !

Premium Member
My beater is extremely gas efficient. My 2010 Focus gets 25mpg in CC gridlock and 35mpg on the freeway, both of which are solid. At today鈥檚 gas prices it costs about 35c a mile to operate all in and that鈥檚 with exactly zero for depreciation, which on your brand new car is probably 35c a mile alone. It鈥檚 your biggest expense with a new vehicle and still counts even if you don鈥檛 realize it until you buy another car.

So lets say it really costs you 50c a mile in total to drive your new car or $125 a day when you realistically count your expenses, which is probably a low estimate. Still think you鈥檙e doing better than a spatula jockey?
My 2017 Prius has 391, 601 miles.
I bought it brand new and the depreciation is key to my business model.
It was the best business decision I ever made with Rideshare.

Registered

Your suggestion that it costs $125 a day in expenses due to car depreciation & expenses is so absurd that I have no reply to you. THAT is why you are a rideshare driver and not doing something else more professional.

Wait, I DO have a reply. $25 a day for gas, a few more dollars for car maintenance and insurance as noted previously, and YOU ARE SUGGESTING THAT AROUND $90 A DAY IS FOR DEPRECIATION.

$90 X 20 days a month driving =$1800 a month. So in 10 months, I'd have just 50-60k miles on my new car (which has a 100k warranty), but according to your idiotic calculations, I'd also have $18,000 set aside...which is exactly what my new car cost. Or you're suggesting that my car with only 50-60k miles on it would be only worth ZERO....hahahahaha...lord, you drivers are so ridiculous.

Surely EVEN YOU CAN SEE HOW TOTALLY STUPID YOUR ASSERTIONS ARE.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts