Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many total miles out of a full tank of gas do you get driving when the air conditioner is always on?

i have a 2014 nissan sentra sv that gets bout 200 miles out of a 13.2 fuel tank capacity with air con on at all times and 300 miles with it off.

State the fuel tank capacity and year of your prius if you can and how many miles total you get without using the ac full tank, thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
465 miles with the aircon on at or near full blast? it's been hot lately here in los angeles, so i thought it would be the perfect time to ask this question

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
Lots of relevant discussions on priuschat.com. . No problem asking us but this is the Prius forum to check out.

Your Sentra has a belt driven AC powered by your smaller than average engine so you likely will see a higher percentage hit on you A/C on vs A/C off.

Prius has an electric motor for A/C. Different dynamics going on. So if you are doing a lot if stop and go and your regen brakes constantly recharging hybrid traction battery, then less hit on MPG. You might not even notice much. If you get stuck on freeway at a standstill and traction (drive) battery gets low (not braking much) then gas engine comes on more/constantly to provide power and you will get lower MPG. Same if you just happen to get a bunch of pickups with PAX taking longer then usual to get their butts in you ride.

All in all, for most driving conditions, Prius will take a much much much smaller percentage hit using A/C than a small Sentra type compact. Just a very efficient hybrid system.

If you have a Prius/hybrid, use A/C when you want. Pay attention ti keep your tires at correct psi, adjust A/C settings appropriately, drive efficiently (whatever that means for you), and you should be a happy and cool camper.

You will not see that huge MPG hit using A/C on a Prius like your small gas engine Sentra. I'm guessing it will be in the 1-4 MPG range depending on Prius model, A/C settings for your comfort level, and how efficiently you drive.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
I got two Prius rides the other day one of them in the little half sized deal. I'm impressed by these cars. I've been in them before but never really thought about it but they did a good job on these things. I wonder about the little one and luggage but first of all they don't look all that horrible. Both of them were really clean so that helps too. But it's a pretty smooth ride with a fair amount of headroom for the backseat and did you say something about 50mpg?

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Lots of relevant discussions on priuschat.com. . No problem asking us but this is the Prius forum ti check out.

Your Sentra has a belt driven AC powered by your smaller than average engine so you likely will see a higher percentage hit on you A/C on vs A/C off.

Prius has an electric motor for A/C. Different dynamics going on. So if you are doing a lot if stoo and go and your regen brakes constantly recharging hybrid battery, then less hit on MPG. You might not even notuce mucg. If you get stuck on freeway at a standstill and traction (drive) battery gets low (not braking mych) then gas engine comes on more/constantly to provide power and you will get lower MPG. Same if you just happen to get a bunch of pickups with PAX taking longer then usual to get their butts in you ride.

All in all, for most driving conditions, Prius will take a much smaller percentage hit using A/C than a small Sentra type compact. Just a very efficient hybrid system.
If you have a Orius/hybrid, use A/C when you want. Keep your tires at correct psi, adjust A/C settings approoriately, drive efficiently (whatever that means for you), and you should be a happy and cool camper.

You will not see that huge MPG hit using A/C on a Prius like your small gas engine Sentra.
What about the alternator. That things gotta hold the key to the kingdom no?

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Lots of relevant discussions on priuschat.com. . No problem asking us but this is the Prius forum ti check out.

Prius has an electric motor for A/C. Different dynamics going on. So if you are doing a lot if stoo and go and your regen brakes constantly recharging hybrid battery, then less hit on MPG. You might not even notuce mucg. If you get stuck on freeway at a standstill and traction (drive) battery gets low (not braking mych) then gas engine comes on more/constantly to provide power and you will get lower MPG. Same if you just happen to get a bunch of pickups with PAX taking longer then usual to get their butts in you ride.

All in all, for most driving conditions, Prius will take a much smaller percentage hit using A/C than a small Sentra type compact. Just a very efficient hybrid system.
If you have a Orius/hybrid, use A/C when you want. Keep your tires at correct psi, adjust A/C settings approoriately, drive efficiently (whatever that means for you), and you should be a happy and cool camper.

You will not see that huge MPG hit using A/C on a Prius like your small gas engine Sentra.
And another thing. If you're converting kinetic energy into electrical energy instead of heat when you slow down, do your brakes last longer or at least are they cheaper?

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
And another thing. If you're converting kinetic energy into electrical energy instead of heat when you slow down, do your brakes last longer or at least are they cheaper?
Prius brake jobs between 100k - 150k, and more towards 150K. So answer is yes re pads lasting longer.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Prius brake jobs between 100k - 150k, and more towards 150K. So answer is yes re pads lasting longer.
That's fantastic. To be fair, Honda's designed their braking system after the Matchbox braking systems. So that explains why they're a little under engineered

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
In 2008 they redesigned the braking system to shift more of the load to the rear brakes. This makes sense.

Unfortunately they didn't redesign the rear brakes. So naturally they wear out faster and now 26,000 miles is the new normal.

This was a well documented issue and DOT has put out a few notices about it but they didn't redesign it until from what I can tell the 2012 model. I'm still waiting on verification of that but 26,000 may be normal for when these rear brakes wear but it's certainly not normal for most cars on the market.

That Prius has got to be the ultimate UberX ride. Almost like it's designed for it.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
What about the alternator. That things gotta hold the key to the kingdom no?
You got me. I'd have to do some research but the Prius does not use an Alternator to charge thw Auxillary 12V Battery like a gas engine/ normal car does.

The Traction Battery ( big drive high voltage drive battery) uses an inverter/dc - dc step down to charge 12V Aux Battery instead of using an Alternator. I'm sure more electronic stuff going on but thats the basics.

Again, no belts on 2010 and newer Prius models. Transmission also not traditional large mechanically complicated design with multiple gears, valves, solenoids, etc... but an eCVT (electronically Continously Variable Speed) with a gearbox.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
I have a Prius C. 400-500 miles for a tank of gas. I have gotten 53 mpg since I have had it. There is plenty of luggage room. Two big suitcases in the back. I can put the back seats down individually. Love the car.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I got two Prius rides the other day one of them in the little half sized deal. I'm impressed by these cars. I've been in them before but never really thought about it but they did a good job on these things. I wonder about the little one and luggage but first of all they don't look all that horrible. Both of them were really clean so that helps too. But it's a pretty smooth ride with a fair amount of headroom for the backseat and did you say something about 50mpg?
That small one holds luggage pretty well, it accomodates a jezzebelle on her way back to ohio. Singing, stuck in the middle with you as she sheds a tear on the transition ramp from the 110 to the 105.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I run the AC all day in Phx when its 115 degrees out. AC is running even when parked and I still get over 40 mpg. I get 50 mpg otherwise. The prius cabs are getting an easy 400,000 miles on them with about 80,000/year. A cab fleet owner I know has one that has 641,000 miles on it and is still running smooth. The maintenance is relatively low but the hybrid battery gets you at about the 200,000 + miles for $3000. I figure if I can get 400,000 miles out of my 2015 prius my gas savings over a 20-25 mpg car will practically pay for my car.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Think you are over-exaggerating a bit. Max is a bit less than 500 miles.
Actually it's not hard to break the 485 mile mark listed by Toyota. It all depends on how you drive, which most Uber drives race around like they're being chased by the PoPo. I average 62mpg, that 10 mpg more that the rated mpg, I hypermile a lot and I mean a lot. That's the nice thing about the Prius, it makes you more conscious of your habits if your serious about getting the most out of a hybrid.

I see Prius drivers out here in the desert driving like they're the lead car in a police chase and then they ***** they don't get anywhere near the 52mpg rating. I take my sweet time getting to the pax, I hypermile to red lights instead of racing up to them only to slam on my breaks and wait. I also take advantage of hills by hypermiling the full way down to make up for the climb up. I also use EV mode a lot when I'm in areas where the speed limit is 25mph or less.

I have one tank of gas in the year that I've owned the Prius where I got 695 miles out of a full tank. It was around trip to Vegas, I took advantage of the downhill portions by hypermiling.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts