Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A little rant here - I use uber to get to work every morning. The trip is rather short - 10 min at most and I have to get a car because there is no pedestrian access - so it's not safe to walk.

I have been doing this for almost a year. At first I noticed (when I checked only, about once a week) that my rating was going down.
I didn't really get why - I am polite, I am usually happy to chat with the driver, I don't leave any rubbish behind etc. I then heard from a colleague that uber drivers rated 1 stars to users who have short trips.

Surely, I thought, Uber would not allow such nonsense. After all, part of Uber's success if the fact drivers and riders are accountable for their actions, you know, no more taxi drivers speeding into the horizon as soon as you mention a nearby address!

So I decided to keep a close eye on ratings immediately before and after I trip, and sure enough, I could see my driver rate me down purely for having a short trip. I, naively, turned to uber customer service for help. They were useless. I got an infuriatingly condescending standard text about ratings, it included tips on how to improve rating. I even pointed out how I could see my rating go down as the driver drove away - I was told there was no way to know if a driver had rated me up or down. Rubbish.

I now find myself with a 4.43 rating, down from a 4.9. It is getting difficult to get a car, and no matter how much I apologise (why I have to apologise for using a service as is beyond me) for the short trip, and explain why I don't just walk, and thank them for their help, I get rated down all the same.

Anyone with a similar experience? What would you do if your rating is getting dangerously low and you still need the service?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi All,

A little rant here - I use uber to get to work every morning. The trip is rather short - 10 min at most and I have to get a car because there is no pedestrian access - so it's not safe to walk.

I have been doing this for almost a year. At first I noticed (when I checked only, about once a week) that my rating was going down.
I didn't really get why - I am polite, I am usually happy to chat with the driver, I don't leave any rubbish behind etc. I then heard from a colleague that uber drivers rated 1 stars to users who have short trips.

Surely, I thought, Uber would not allow such nonsense. After all, part of Uber's success if the fact drivers and riders are accountable for their actions, you know, no more taxi drivers speeding into the horizon as soon as you mention a nearby address!

So I decided to keep a close eye on ratings immediately before and after I trip, and sure enough, I could see my driver rate me down purely for having a short trip. I, naively, turned to uber customer service for help. They were useless. I got an infuriatingly condescending standard text about ratings, it included tips on how to improve rating. I even pointed out how I could see my rating go down as the driver drove away - I was told there was no way to know if a driver had rated me up or down. Rubbish.

I now find myself with a 4.43 rating, down from a 4.9. It is getting difficult to get a car, and no matter how much I apologise (why I have to apologise for using a service as is beyond me) for the short trip, and explain why I don't just walk, and thank them for their help, I get rated down all the same.

Anyone with a similar experience? What would you do if your rating is getting dangerously low and you still need the service?
As I got rated 1 star today for no reason at all my first ever 1 star in 9k trips as a driver it's not fair on drivers either

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ask a cabbie to take you short trip and see what happens :). Not worth drivers time to pick you up take you for $5 payout waste of time rather do long haul that where $$$ is.
Precisely my point. This is the behaviour you can expect from a taxi driver. This is exactly the behaviour that drove so many people to walk away from shit service and begging drivers to do their job. So why is this behaviour accepted, and from what I've read, encouraged, at Uber?

Taxi drivers have to drive you to your destination once you're in their car, and they do get in a lot of trouble if they refuse. Uber drivers seem to get away with it with no consequence?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi All,

Unfortunately you've come to the wrong place mate. This is mostly drivers forum and you'll notice plenty of disgruntled drivers. The fact is most of us which includes me don't like short fares, but to rate someone down because of that never made any sense to me.

The best advice would be to talk to drivers and explain your rating means a lot to you cuz no one will pick you up if it gets down.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Uber should really set a minimum $10 fare inc. GST for short trips. It's wrong to 1* a passenger based on the length of the journey alone, but at the same time it's wrong that a fare can be worth less than a cancellation/no show fee.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Precisely my point. This is the behaviour you can expect from a taxi driver. This is exactly the behaviour that drove so many people to walk away from shit service and begging drivers to do their job. So why is this behaviour accepted, and from what I've read, encouraged, at Uber?

Taxi drivers have to drive you to your destination once you're in their car, and they do get in a lot of trouble if they refuse. Uber drivers seem to get away with it with no consequence?
How many Uber drivers have refused to take you?

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts

Uber drivers are independent contractors and if I job is not profitable may not proceed with it. There is no specific legislation regarding Uber drivers cannot not complete the job. Remember many taxi drivers are now driving for Uber so they carry on this behaviour l

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I got rated 1 star today for no reason at all my first ever 1 star in 9k trips as a driver it's not fair on drivers either
I agree that is not fair, but you've noted this is your first poor rating. I am getting 1 starts left, right, and centre, for using a service which allows short trips.

It seems to me there are far too many ex-taxi drivers driving Ubers and the
How many Uber drivers have refused to take you?
I am starting to note a lot of 'driver had to cancel...finding you a new ride' lately. Every single day I see my rating go down. No matter how much I explain I have to get a car, I am not lazy, I am terribly sorry this is a short trip. Nothing makes a difference.

I am also seeing a lot of cars in my area, and mysteriously I have to wait +15min for a driver to come get me.

·
Banned
800 Posts
Next time, don't apologise pay the guy $5-$10 as a thank you for travelling longer and further to pick you up ,than drive you.

Then your ratings will climb.

Driver is getting $5.04 before gst ,running costs, tax , fuel...

Clear now , why its getting hard to get an uber?.

Book on x 3.0 at least...
Given the guy $15...
Lol

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

I have never rated anyone 1 star even when I waited for surge all morning and got a ping this morning
I agree that is not fair, but you've noted this is your first poor rating. I am getting 1 starts left, right, and centre, for using a service which allows short trips.

It seems to me there are far too many ex-taxi drivers driving Ubers and the

I am starting to note a lot of 'driver had to cancel...finding you a new ride' lately. Every single day I see my rating go down. No matter how much I explain I have to get a car, I am not lazy, I am terribly sorry this is a short trip. Nothing makes a difference.

I am also seeing a lot of cars in my area, and mysteriously I have to wait +15min for a driver to come get me.
Next time hopefully your trip come to me I will give you 6 stars to boost it up :)even if you go 400 metres ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi All,

It's not just the fact that it's a short trip. Do you tip? Because the big issue is the shorter the trip the less % the driver makes out of what you pay down to as little as 15-20% assuming it's a minimum fare (not sure what yours is in AU but here it's ~$7) driver makes about $2.25 for the trip and time to pickup. Now consider if that is all that driver gets. Best case can work in 3 of those per hour and get paid a whopping $6 an hour BEFORE expenses. If you add even a 2$ tip that /should/ cover expenses and make drivers much happier to take you and less likely to downrate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have never rated anyone 1 star even when I waited for surge all morning and got a ping this morning

Next time hopefully your trip come to me I will give you 6 stars to boost it up :)even if you go 400 metres ;)
As kind as this is, this is a real issue for me. I am getting rather desperate.

Do you tip?
We don't really have a tip culture here. I have never heard of people tipping drivers here.

I should also add my trip is always more than the base fare.

Also, I am given 1* even when the uber driver is at the rack. So no driving at all to get me. Always above the base rate.

·
Banned
800 Posts
As kind as this is, this is a real issue for me. I am getting rather desperate.

We don't really have a tip culture here. I have never heard of people tipping drivers here.

I should also add my trip is always more than the base fare.
If its not a min trip ,then what do you pay?
You know drivers don't see destination ,until trip begins.

If you'd like your ratings to go up, do longer trips , or tip the guy.

Why are you so blind .
Its 15 mins because all the cars around you don't like your rating.
So when that 15 min guy comes, thank him in $$.
Or, you'll wait 22 mins tomorrow.

My trip is never, ever, less than $10.
= to no show /cancel fee.
Get it?.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi All,

Interesting notes - does the ratings really matter nowadays ? Drivers are so desperate for a $5 trip that they will even take a 3.0 rating rider . The issue in the morning is that all the drivers want a juicy airport trip . Now depending where you live and the time of the day it's either with or without a long trip notification and some of the drivers are prepared to take the risk. That's why you still have those drivers driving pass you and asking passenger airport if no they drive off like the old good days .

Secondly - how would you feel as a driver driving 10 mins to come and pick you up for a $6 gross fare . Do you think it's enough $ per hour as a wage to cover all the costs ???

The best way to deal if the short trip issue to to make a $15 trip minimum

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi All,

Why dont you give then a 5$ tip at the end of every trip. People do this work for profit and not to make 1$ profit.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.