Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about 8:30 - got a ping but was unable to collect ride and went around the block.

managed to collect the ride and about 50m down the road was pulled over by the police who asked if i was an Uber driver.

was told to get out of the vehicle and bring my phone with me. was also told not to shut off the uber app (otherwise, I would be obstructing the police).

was interviewed by the BCC member who took photos of the phone, car, plates etc.

I explained that I was unaware that Uber was illegal in Qld and assured was that it was indeed illegal. I said that I had only just commenced and had provided all the requirements to Uber that they had asked for (in person) and had been informed that all was in order and I could commence driving for them.

during this period, the ride was also interrogated (for 5 minutes or so) but i dont know what he was asked.

They asked me where I was taking the ride and I told them I did not know as I had not commenced the ride n the app yet.

i asked if I was going to be fined and was told that would probably not occur.

very shaken, I went home and have not driven since.

this was very traumatic for me as the thought of being involved in an illegal activity goes against entirely my core values.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hmmm, sounds different.
Don't worry about the cops but tell the Brisbane City Council guy to get lost, they have no legal rights to do, say, try to search anything. Brisbane Council can have nothing to do with you being an Uber driver, are you sure it was Brisbane City Council not Dept Transport Inspector? What justification did the BCC guy have to search you and your property?
One more thing, are you seriously saying you did not know Uber was illegal?

·
Registered
271 Posts
It sounds as though the rider was a plant and they were exchanging information. Please email Uber asap about the incident and have the riders account locked to stop this in the future.

·
Registered
131 Posts
By having a user blocked because you suspect he is a plant could be construed as obstructing the police?
Just so you know. If you drive for uber or run you own private service you are breaking the law.
So far uber drivers in Qld have been fined $1.7m of which $1.4m has been paid
Uber are illegal in Qld and will remain so atlest until the review is handed down in August.
So if you want to risk a substantial fine for $0.80 a km go for it. The risk reward ratio is not that great.
You are better off to rob a bank, at least if you get away with it you could be rich.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
uber-craig Uber in it's current form is very much against current legislation. Uber's expression that your right to drive is misleading and wrong, they should have been upfront about operating outside of the law and mentioned the risks to you. They can soften the blow by saying we've got your back, but can't legally say they will protect or indemnify you from infringements and litigation.

UP Forums has great info in past threads and active conversation on any current concerns. Feel free to browse or use the search function to hone in on any topics of particular interest.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
By having a user blocked because you suspect he is a plant could be construed as obstructing the police?
Just so you know. If you drive for uber or run you own private service you are breaking the law.
Uber are illegal in Qld and will remain so atlest until the review is handed down in August.
So if you want to risk a substantial fine for $0.80 a km go for it. The risk reward ratio is not that great.
You are better off to rob a bank, at least if you get away with it you could be rich.
A driver can't specifically have someone blocked, but nothing stopping you from raising a concern about a particular user and whatever Uber choose to do is on them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Symo, no it cannot be 'construed' as obstructing police, by using the Uber app you agree to certain terms and conditions, it's a software issue and you will find that under certain trade agreements the terms and conditions can have the weight of Law. If Uber chose to the user could find themselves in serious trouble for misusing the app. Uber have every right under the Terms and Conditions to block a user.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
My first piece of advice would be to not take any legal advice from forum lawyers. They just tell you the law as they'd like it to be, not as it is.
Second, don't take any legal advice from Uber. They have a long reputation if every city they've been in for telling drivers to ignore all relevant laws.
UberX is still illegal in Qld.

For what it's worth, I registered with Uber in Sydney about 18 months to 2 years ago. Then I did a lot of reading and found that it was illegal. So I did no driving. On Dec 17th I read that point-to-point services such as UberX were now legal in NSW, so I started driving that day.

Uber will also tell you that you don't need to register for GST. That's also incorrect.

Do not take any legal advice from Uber. Their advice always ignores the law.

·
Registered
24 Posts
we need a script to pull out in case of a pull-over, something that will get us away with minimal hassle, not something like 'y'all need a warrant'
Id just close my phone,.good luck coercing me into unlocking it (biometrics) pretty sure they cant demand you hand anything over - Ive had good convos with off duty cops in my car, they're on our side as we do a lot to reduce the drunk drivers - TMR are the pain in the ass here, cops would rather be doing important stuff -anyone got any ideas to start?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts