Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
24,233 Posts
If you have a criminal record, you will not get that hack face in the District of Columbia. In addition to submitting the arrest record for the District of Columbia and your home state (if you live in the suburbs), commonly referred to as a "Police Clearance", here, you must submit to an FBI fingerprint and background check.

Fail that, and no hack licence for you. If you can get through an FBI check, you are very good at hiding your past and likely are smart enough not to repeat what you were doing.

I do not know what other jurisdictions do with regard to hack licence applicants, but you will not find too many District of Columbia cab drivers with criminal records.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I do not know what other jurisdictions do with regard to hack licence applicants, but you will not find too many District of Columbia cab drivers with criminal records.
Here (and I'm thinking other cities too), a lot of taxi drivers are immigrants. There's no way to do a background check in 'the old country'. A federal and local background check can be meaningless.

·
24,233 Posts
Y'ain't a-gonna' get no Green Card or no Workee Permit if'n ya gotta' criminal record in yer own country. Y'ain't a-gonna' even get in this har' country if'n ya' gotta' criminal record in yer own country.

That stated, yes, in some countries you can "arrange" to have your criminal record disappear. Still, in order to receive a hack licence in the District of Columbia, you must have been in this country for three years. You must have had a US driver's licence for three years. You must have lived in the Washington Metropolitan Area for one year in the last three and have had a local licence for that period. If nothing else, the FBI can find out what you have been up to for at least three years. The FBI has a greater reach than most think. Without giving up too many details, when I applied for my hack licence, it took the full eight weeks after I had met all of the other requirements for my first hack face. They were waiting for the FBI check to clear. There was one lady in the Hack Office, who for some reason remembered who I was, who asked me how to pronounce Cividale del Friuli and wondered why a City had such a long name. She admitted that she had never heard of that place before she met me. I had never told her anything about Cividale del Friuli.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts