Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else struggling with the rate cuts? 14 dollars to drive someone down to iowa city seems like a loss every time i have to do it. Sad thing is it's no worse than doing rides for 2-3 dollars 2-3 times an hour.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm fairly new to UBER but I don't see how anyone makes money doing it at these rates. If it is not on a 2x or more surge it is not even minimum wage. That and the low amount of tippers in Cr makes it worse. UBER could help by allowing tips on the app but apparently they don't want to do that. I started looking at my actual miles vs money made. I drove Monday night and went 3 miles to pick up a guy who was going 6 miles and the fare was $4.36 and no tip. Less that $0.50 a mile and then I was 7 miles from home too. I didn't head home yet, but if I had it would be 15 miles for $4.36 or a whopping $0.29 per mile.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Anyone else struggling with the rate cuts? 14 dollars to drive someone down to iowa city seems like a loss every time i have to do it. Sad thing is it's no worse than doing rides for 2-3 dollars 2-3 times an hour.
It doesn't "seem" like a loss, it is a loss. If you aren't making close to a buck for every mile you put on your car you are not making a profit. Iowa City runs are money loser's because of the dead miles and so are most airport runs for the same reason.With Uber X the only game in town along with skimpy infrequent surges it's a mostly money losing proposition to be an Uber driver here in CR.Was once a little profitable before January rates cuts,not any more.

·
Banned
5,897 Posts
You're absolutely right. Considering a regular cab would charge at least $60-80 dollars (depending on where you drop them in Iowa city). .70/cents a mile is a joke.

·
Banned
5,897 Posts
I'm fairly new to UBER but I don't see how anyone makes money doing it at these rates. If it is not on a 2x or more surge it is not even minimum wage. That and the low amount of tippers in Cr makes it worse. UBER could help by allowing tips on the app but apparently they don't want to do that. I started looking at my actual miles vs money made. I drove Monday night and went 3 miles to pick up a guy who was going 6 miles and the fare was $4.36 and no tip. Less that $0.50 a mile and then I was 7 miles from home too. I didn't head home yet, but if I had it would be 15 miles for $4.36 or a whopping $0.29 per mile.
My cousin did uberx for Cedar Rapids when it was $2/mile, then quit when the rates dropped to 1.20. Hopefully a lot of drivers will quit and uber will be forced to raise the rates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CR sucks in so many ways. Not enough demand, low rates, shit surges, crap tips, barely any awareness of Uber and Lyft, constant violations of terms, fraudulent riders, under aged riders, distrust of new ideas, drunk racist bros... I'm just saving up to move back to a larger market in the West. Drivers are an endangered species anyway. Adapt or die.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You would think more blue collar qorkers in middle of the country have their own cars alot more the coastal cities. There for only time you prolly get anything are pax that fo to the bar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts