Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was dropping a couple people off this morning at Terminal C. There were cops walking around more than usual, I thought was odd. Once the people left the cop came up to me and told me what I was doing was illegal because blah blah blah. Told me not to come back.

I know Uber pays tickets we get while using the app. My question is can they tow my car at EWR for this? Have they towed anyone before? If they do how does Uber handle that?

I need to keep dropping people off at EWR its literally half my weekly earnings

·
Registered
602 Posts
So I was dropping a couple people off this morning at Terminal C. There were cops walking around more than usual, I thought was odd. Once the people left the cop came up to me and told me what I was doing was illegal because blah blah blah. Told me not to come back.

I know Uber pays tickets we get while using the app. My question is can they tow my car at EWR for this? Have they towed anyone before? If they do how does Uber handle that?

Google NJ title 39:3-19.1 for your answer.

·
Registered
49 Posts

ask the passenger to sit in the front seat

·
Registered
971 Posts

So a cop told you that in a free country you are not ALOWED to drop off people at the airport ???? Maybe next time when somebody drops some family members they get arrested !!!! How he knew that you are livery!?!? For example my mom likes to sit in the back. This is already a police abuse. PAPD are there for the security of the airport and deal with traffic. Since when people CAN T drop other people off. I remember a few months ago I went and pick up my friend and his wife from JFK and they sit in the back and yes he pay for my gas and tolls. I was doing something illegal ??? Anyway Uber has your back and as far as impounding your car is just a 1% chance. Just the ticket , court day and back to business. That is how it works. Somebody has to do it and we are 9000 Uber partners in NJ. If it was that DANGEROUS, I don t think all this people are nuts. Just don t drop in front of cops if possible and get out of there right away after. Good luck. I have 45k rides and probably 500 of that are only EWR. Never had a problem. Actually a few times cop just looked at me and said nothing. My phone on dash. He knew what I am doing. I guess is your luck too. If you are a good person you will be fine.

·
Registered
971 Posts
So a cop told you that in a free country you are not ALOWED to drop off people at the airport ???? Maybe next time when somebody drops some family members they get arrested !!!! How he knew that you are livery!?!? For example my mom likes to sit in the back. This is already a police abuse. PAPD are there for the security of the airport and deal with traffic. Since when people CAN T drop other people off. I remember a few months ago I went and pick up my friend and his wife from JFK and they sit in the back and yes he pay for my gas and tolls. I was doing something illegal ??? Anyway Uber has your back and as far as impounding your car is just a 1% chance. Just the ticket , court day and back to business. That is how it works. Somebody has to do it and we are 9000 Uber partners in NJ. If it was that DANGEROUS, I don t think all this people are nuts. Just don t drop in front of cops if possible and get out of there right away after. Good luck. I have 45k rides and probably 500 of that are only EWR. Never had a problem. Actually a few times cop just looked at me and said nothing. My phone on dash. He knew what I am doing. I guess is your luck too. If you are a good person you will be fine.
4500 rides not 45k. My bad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure about Uber paying the tow but if I were you I would just chill for 2 weeks or run your airports at a different time for a couple of weeks so you don't run into the same cop. I know it's a hassle but I would also think about switching cars but whatever you do the next time you get caught by a cop there DENY DENY DENY! LIE LIE LIE. Unless you or your pax admit to it then how would the cop know? Is he going to tow you if he does not know 100%. I don't think so. Just Say "I'm disable and I was asked as a volunteer to run our members to the airport in a fundraising effort set up by my local VFW/Church. No funds exchange hands. (No car for hire).

I assume he probably recognized your car being there multiple times recently and you're not taking all the precautions. This is why I disagree with the drivers on here who say just be honest with the police and tell them you're Uber. NOT! I truly respect law enforcement but Honest or not all it takes One Taxi or Limo Complaint or one guy trying to make Sargent looking to bust people that day. Then even though Uber pays the tickets you will waste a day in court and have to avoid airport fares all together. The killer is the trespassing ticket. If you get that one you are done for good!

·
Banned
821 Posts
This is how the Port Authority cops work. If they feel you are being dishonest, resistant or disrespectful in any manner...even a slightly raised voice for example...you are going to get the full range of tickets to include the impounding of your car which Uber will pay for. However, if you are respectful, pleasant and do not resist the officer you will either get the 54 dollar obscure plates ticket which Uber will pay for or a warning.

Do not debate the officer. Do not try to worm your way. Be honest. Be respectful. Dont act like a child. Just say what you need to say to meet the honesty rule, hand over the documents and smile.

Also some of you here admit that you dress kind of shabby. The way you dress is how you are treated. If you dress like a thug they will treat you like that and probably the riders will rate you accordingly.

Also I go to the airport any chance I get. I dont care if the cops stop me or not. They cant be everywhere. In fact when I got the 54 dollar obscure plates ticket I was back in an hour with another load.

·
Registered
33 Posts
UberX is illegal in NJ. Cops are right I hope they arrest every uber driver who are doing it in their private vehicles.
Usman, I understand your frustration and all the frustration of Taxi and Limo drivers but understand one thing. We are just drivers trying to feed our families too just like you. It's not like we're talking the death penalty here. We are talking tickets that Uber pays. In reality an Uber driver has a better chance on hitting the lottery than getting towed at the airport. For this reason Uberx drivers do not care when taxi and limo owners come on this board and play fear mongers. Here is some other friendly advice for you. You might want to go back to school and switch careers fast because Uber will soon have so many cars on the road that even the Black Car services will soon pay no better than Walmart type wages no matter who you drive for. My prediction is soon there won't be any good full-time driving jobs period.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Usman, I understand your frustration and all the frustration of Taxi and Limo drivers but understand one thing. We are just drivers trying to feed our families too just like you. It's not like we're talking the death penalty here. We are talking tickets that Uber pays. In reality an Uber driver has a better chance on hitting the lottery than getting towed at the airport. For this reason Uberx drivers do not care when taxi and limo owners come on this board and play fear mongers. Here is some other friendly advice for you. You might want to go back to school and switch careers fast because Uber will soon have so many cars on the road that even the Black Car services will soon pay no better than Walmart type wages no matter who you drive for. My prediction is soon there won't be any good full-time driving jobs period.
Actually my theory is that Uber is trying to break the taxi companies completely and then will likely hike their prices back up because they won't have any competition
I had a passenger tell me that the Taxis in DC joined with Uber and another passenger told me how in DC Uber rides are pretty expensive compared to NJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies though. I guess I'll just go back to driving people to EWR. I'm just trying to pay bills. It annoys me to no end that in a "free" country we have to deal with this. All because Uber only pays 1 million instead of 1.5 mil... Like we'll ever cause more than 1 mil in damages from an accident

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It annoys me to no end that in a "free" country we have to deal with this
You know in our free country we also have a concept called private property. Say you have an ice cream cart. You know there are lots of people at Disneyland who like ice cream why would you not just roll into Disneyland and start selling ice cream? Same concept for the airport. Do you think the Airport is public property? Do you think your taxes go towards it's upkeep? If they did why would the port authority be patrolling it? Wouldn't NYPD be patrolling it? Fact is it is private property controlled by the Port authority (usually city land leased to an agency). They have a right to limit who and what business is conducted on their grounds. For all the reasons you cannot roll into Disneyland with your ice cream cart you cannot stroll into an airport and conduct business. The fact that you can drop off is not a permission given rather just a lack of adequate levels of enforcement.

In other words you are there under the property owners good will. And it seems to be wearing thin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea the problem with that is that the Airport is owned by port authority so its not private property... It actually is public property because Port Authority is a public entity so.... that entire argument is wrong sorry

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yea the problem with that is that the Airport is owned by port authority so its not private property... It actually is public property because Port Authority is a public entity so.... that entire argument is wrong sorry
Your right, but it's still subject to rules and regulations, which was his point to start with. Your playing wording games.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Do you take the necessary precautions when driving in the airport? Passenger sitting in the front, phone out of view, don't park next to a cop?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No your right about the rules and regulations but my point is that a free nation should not have such rules and regulations. Uber is not hurting anyone except maybe the Taxi companies and that is free market capitalism which is what this nation is founded on

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're

And no I don't do the passenger in the front part I just don't want to ask the person to do that. This is the first incident I've had in 2 - 1/2 months and I drop off at the airport all morning every morning. I've had cops look at me smile at me nod at me but never give me problems dropping off. But now I'll just remove my phone from the dash and stay away from cops.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts