Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this happened to you? A fare with a mom without a car seat taking her young child to daycare or the hospital or ... If you protest then she appeals to your compassion and/or declares that many other drivers have done it before. What should you do? Isn't it just another fare? Well consider:
  • It's against NYS law.
  • If stopped by a cop, you can get fined, points, insurance increases, and deactivated by Uber.
  • If the child is injured in an accident then you may face criminal charges.
  • Are the HUGE RISKS worth a couple of bucks?
For more, read this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not worth it when you put it that way. But if it's an emergency and the child needs to go to the hospital, I will deal with the law later, and try to save a life first

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Not worth it when you put it that way. But if it's an emergency and the child needs to go to the hospital, I will deal with the law later, and try to save a life first
You're a compassionate person and an independent contractor so it is your choice alone to make. Do you fully understand the risks that you assume when you choose to transport any young child without a car seat? If there's an accident and the child is injured then there may be criminal charges. Also consider, what you would do if it's not a life-and-death situation:
  • Hospital, because child has an ear-ache, keeps crying, and the parents can't sleep.
  • Parent needs to drop kid at daycare then go to work.
  • 2nd grader will miss picture-day at school.
  • Need to buy groceries and no baby-sitter.
  • Play date.
Each one is a personal decision. Know the law and understand the possible consequences.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If we tried to avoid risks, no one would even get out of bed. I don't know anyone who lives a normal life who doesn't break at least one law every day, even if it's only going 5 miles over the speed limit. There are so many laws that one person cannot fully understand them all.
For almost a century of automobiles, people driving their families, car seats were not the norm. Now it's another law.
Slowly, incrementally, every behavior that is slightly risky is being legislated. I try to stay out of trouble, but it follows me

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
If we tried to avoid risks, no one would even get out of bed. I don't know anyone who lives a normal life who doesn't break at least one law every day, even if it's only going 5 miles over the speed limit. There are so many laws that one person cannot fully understand them all.
For almost a century of automobiles, people driving their families, car seats were not the norm. Now it's another law.
Slowly, incrementally, every behavior that is slightly risky is being legislated. I try to stay out of trouble, but it follows me
I agree that it is impossible to avoid all risk. Also, each of us makes dozens of decisions daily where risk may be factor. Everyone has their own comfort level with risk. When you approach a light that just turned red, do you stop or go? In every case, it's a personal decision, based on a dozen factors, made in a split-second, but you are usually better off understanding all the risks in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts