Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a couple as pax in my car tonight. We were talking and had a nice ride. At the end of the ride we pulled up to a house and their son comes out. They introduced me to him and told the son they enjoyed my ride. The son told me that his parents are here visiting and more family was on the way. The son asked me if I wanted to be their driver for next couple of weeks. Not everyday but often. It would be their car. Their gas and tolls. I would be paid for my time. So my questions are
If im driving their car and we get into an accident how does insurance work? I would only be driving if someone in the family is in the car. How much should i charge them per hour? And how many minimum hours? Or if its a long day then should i charge them per day? If so how much per day? No overnites. I want to be home with my family.
Im thinkimg to charge per hour. From the time I arrive at their house to the time at the end of the day. They look like a middle income family so im not looking to rip them off.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I was asked the same question yesterday by a guy in my area who I drive fairly often, but it was just for one trip. City to shore bike ride, I drive his car, bikes and family to Philly and return to my area with his car the same morning, so they can ride their bikes and not have to worry about getting their car back. I figure its about a 3 hour round trip and was going to suggest $150 at least.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The basic answer is that with insurance the coverage always follows the car not the driver. If these folks lend you their car to drive them in it and there is an accident their insurance policy is responsible or that of another car that is at fault. Your personal auto policy would only respond if the auto owner's insurance is invalid or insufficient. Provided you are properly licensed you can be insured under any other persons auto insurance. But now the catch....

You will be functioning as a taxi driver in this circumstance not just as a friend driving a friend in their car. There is no coverage for the owner of the car or you when operating as a taxi. If a significant claim occurs the insurance company will research your relationship with the owner of the car and will get suspicious and probably deny coverage. If you or the owner of the car lie to the insurance company and pretend that you are not operating as a taxi driver then you both could be sent to jail for insurance fraud.

Bottom line, I don't recommend you do it. It's simply not worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
The basic answer is that with insurance the coverage always flows the car not the driver. If these folks lend you their cat to drive them in it and there is an accidental their insurance policy is responsible or that of another car that is at fault. Your personal auto policy would only respond if the auto owners insurance is invalid or insufficient. Provided you are properly licensed you can be insured under any other persons auto insurance. But now the catch....

You will be functioning as a taxi driver in this circumstance not just as a friend driving a friend in their car. There is no coverage for the owner of the car or you when operating as a taxi. If a significant claim occurs the insurance company will research your relationship with the owner of the car and will get suspicious and.probably deny coverage. If you or the owner of the car lie to the insurance company and.pretend that you are not operating as a taxi driver then you both could be sent to jail for insurance fraud.

Bottom line, I don't recommend you do it
It's simply not worth the risk.
Well said.

·
Premium Member
11,637 Posts
Is it all under the table money or are they going to report the money they pay you to the IRS. They should also contact their insurance company and notify them, but keep in mind you can still be held liable if your at fault and the third party sues.
They don't have to report anything or provide any paperwork to him for anything under $600, I believe.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just did a Google search on "does a contractor have to provide a subcontractor with a 1099" and got a downloadable PDF from an irs.gov web page that confirmed what I said.
I wasnt sure if thats the relationship it would be. I was looking under taxi service from irs. Ok. Thanks. You're a great source of reference.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So i got more info on driver. I will be driver. Owner is coming with me. He pays all tolls and gas and my food. Princeton to Cleveland. Then 4 hr meeting for client. Drive back from Cleveland same day. 480 miles 1 way. What do I charge for my time? Would be about 17 hr driving time. With 4 hr break inbetween.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
So i got more info on driver. I will be driver. Owner is coming with me. He pays all tolls and gas and my food. Princeton to Cleveland. Then 4 hr meeting for client. Drive back from Cleveland same day. 480 miles 1 way. What do I charge for my time? Would be about 17 hr driving time. With 4 hr break inbetween.
I would insist on an overnight stay with the client covering the cost of the hotel room. I would not do it without that. It's too much for one day. You would be falling asleep at the wheel by the end of that.

Edit: After thinking about that situation for a minute, I have another concern. This guy may very well be looking for you to be driving a car with a trunk full of drugs and/or guns. Even if he seems like some sort of nice middle class suburban family man, that doesn't mean he isn't transporting a trunk full of drugs and/or guns. That whole situation sounds sketchy to me.

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
Any service industry like construction, mechanic, plumber, electrician etc.... can and usually does charge $80 plus per hour per man plus expenses. That is the minimum required to make money off of each man and pay all payroll costs. You shouldn't charge less $45 per hour.If this trip were allowed to be taken on Uber it would be over $1100

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
Is it all under the table money or are they going to report the money they pay you to the IRS. They should also contact their insurance company and notify them, but keep in mind you can still be held liable if your at fault and the third party sues.
Nothing they can prove if it's cash, but services like square or PayPal will report your income

1 - 20 of 36 Posts