Uber Drivers Forum banner

Potential new driver needs advice

5K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  NotAUberSucker 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I'm looking to drive uber part time seriously. Hence, I applied for this promotion between uber and smove where the first 10 hours are free.

So far, my 5 hour trip has been alright on a Friday night from 9pm-2am, since there's the guaranteed earnings.

I have a question though, which a Google search didn't help clarify. So I'm hoping the seniors here can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Firstly, how do I know if the rider booked with a cash option? I don't see any indication. So idk when I should collect money or not, and I'm afraid people will just go off.

Secondly, is the guaranteed earnings reflected in the partner app? Because I don't see the amount, only the ones I earned.

Thirdly, how do multiple stops work? Is it just keep driving with the fare running or is there like $5 a stop or something?

Fourthly, to hit the TPH requirement, what if I'm online but unlucky enough to not have riders?

Fifth, how is the guaranteed earnings calculated? Its guaranteed $30/hour but I only drove 3hours and 59minutes. So is it rounded up?

Lastly, I am not sure how the TPH for incentive works in detail. Is it just number of hours multiply by 1.65 for peak? And 1.5 for off peak? What if I drive total off peak and peak combined. Not sure how to elaborate. I'll try to clarify along the way when advice comes in.

Thanks again!

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Before you reach the rider destination, tap on the riders name. For normal payment, you will see the RED BAR "Complete Trip". If it is a cash payment, this RED BAR will now show out, and you will see the CASH PAYMENT wordings, just tap on it and it will calculate the cash trip when you reach the destination.

2. Guaranteed earnings will only reflected by end of the week, usually Monday afternoon you will be able to see it.

3. Uber trips are charge according to distance and time traveled. So for multiple stop, the distance and time traveled will just continue to run until you end the trip.

4. If you have not completed enough trips and don't hit the TPH requirements, you will not get the guarantee earnings

5. for 3hrs 59mins, convert to 59/60+3hrs = 3.98hrs. Multiply 3.98hrs by $30 and deduct the 20% comm from uber, you get $95.52

6. Guarantee earnings is calculated according to each block. If the peak block is 3hrs, you will need 3x1.65 = 4.95, round up to be 5 complete trips

#3 ·
Hello! Thanks for all the clarification! Very helpful!

Just to be clear on something, 3 hour need pick minimum 5 riders I understand. But assuming I pick only 4. Am I entitled to the first 2 hours guaranteed since it hit that particular TPH, or is it totally don't have?

Thanks.

#6 ·
Uber calculate incentives based on the total online time for each block. If your are online for 3hrs and only have 4 trips, you are not entitled for incentives.

For 4 trips, you can only online max 2hrs 25mins.
Okay I understand now. Thank you so much!

My main concern now is that I won't get riders to fulfil my TPH because I don't know the good locations, and that most people I know use grab. Any advice on this?

Pardon all the questions!

#7 ·
Okay I understand now. Thank you so much!

My main concern now is that I won't get riders to fulfil my TPH because I don't know the good locations, and that most people I know use grab. Any advice on this?

Pardon all the questions!
I have been interviewing many pax who boarded my taxi and it now appears that most Pax generally do not use both Uber and Grab. They have learned to develop a strong preference for either one and will stick with it. To date, the overwhelming majority of my pax are Grab users which is not surprising since they can book either a Grab Car or Grab Taxi via the same App.

#15 ·
I think by now who take what transport is more or less settled. Human beings usually do things according to their habit. People who use taxis will not change to PH suddenly. Those who want to change have already changed. Uber and Grab will not be able to expand their market share by too much a margin from now onwards.
I have kena many times they are "smelly cun.t" riders who play one against another and usually wait for pickup at taxi stands and roadside.

The rider will book an Uber but also keep a look out for the taxi. When the latter comes along before Uber, he or she will cancel on me when I am en-route to pickup (burn my petrol and time).

In my area I have a couple of smelly cun.t regulars in the morning who cancel on me so they are on my blacklists along with those regulars who are always going to Tuas and Jurong early at 7am.

For the ones who love to cancel I will now start their trips immediately after acceptance. Like this no horse run wan. Wicked. Ha ha!

:)

#17 ·
I have kena many times they are "smelly cun.t" riders who play one against another and usually wait for pickup at taxi stands and roadside.

The rider will book an Uber but also keep a look out for the taxi. When the latter comes along before Uber, he or she will cancel on me when I am en-route to pickup (burn my petrol and time)

In my area I have a couple of smelly cun.t regulars in the morning who cancel on me so they are on my blacklists along with those regulars who are always going to Tuas and Jurong early at 7am.

For the ones who love to cancel I will now start their trips immediately after acceptance. Like
this no horse run wan. Wicked. Ha ha!

This is similar to taxi drivers avoiding bookings with pickup locations along main road because before the taxi they booked arrive they would take the first taxi they see and leave. Worst than PH riders, some wouldn't bother to cancel the booking and even switch off their HP.

#22 ·

The rider will book an Uber but also keep a look out for the taxi. When the latter comes along before Uber, he or she will cancel on me when I am en-route to pickup (burn my petrol and time).

For the ones who love to cancel I will now start their trips immediately after acceptance. Like this no horse run wan. Wicked. Ha ha!

Fake Uber driver spotted.

#23 ·
Those pickups on the roadside are always prone to cancellation. Moreover, the location on the app may not be accurate enough. Sometimes, they can be on opposite the road, and you may end up making a long uturn to pickup the rider. Also, you cannot stop too long along the road, as cars behind will horn you.

I hate pickups along the road.

#25 · (Edited)
Lol, app always show rider on the opposite side of road wan when rider is in our way.

This morning kena shit again to Tuas South Avenue. If you been there you know that area is like in the center of zero civilisation. If you happen to work there and live anywhere in Singapore it'd be saner to ride a helicopter to work daily. Not only that rider from Admiralty asked to take Sugnei Kadut then Lim Neo Tiew then pass Sungei Gegdon camp towards Lim Chu Kang cemetery and then enter PIE. Of course I missed TPH lah, but saving grace is this - he booked on a surge like 1.5x so first hour of incentives more than covered. He is definitely in my book of blacklists. Ha ha!

#24 ·

Some don't bother when I start trip before they board the car but others will question you even when you click START as they are walking towards the car. Kenna once from a lady ...

I on the other hand don't bother with the ratings.

Because I chiong only incentives I will end the trip like 3-5 minutes before dropoff for the next ping to come in (just need to memorise the route and address before ending trip) so some riders wouldn't make as much a din lor...

One or two will however showed slight displeasure maybe they perceived that I couldn't wait to get rid of them ha ha! Bo pian, blame Uber and their silly TPH.

Incentives are always more than real fares unless it's like a lightning surge of x2 or more on a long route lah!

Haha!

:p
Fake Uber driver spotted.

#26 ·

Some don't bother when I start trip before they board the car but others will question you even when you click START as they are walking towards the car. Kenna once from a lady ...

I on the other hand don't bother with the ratings.

Because I chiong only incentives I will end the trip like 3-5 minutes before dropoff for the next ping to come in (just need to memorise the route and address before ending trip) so some riders wouldn't make as much a din lor...

One or two will however showed slight displeasure maybe they perceived that I couldn't wait to get rid of them ha ha! Bo pian, blame Uber and their silly TPH.

Incentives are always more than real fares unless it's like a lightning surge of x2 or more on a long route lah!

You time is up, FAKE!

#28 · (Edited)
Totally agree with renyeo and PCMan.

One of the biggest drawbacks with the Uber platform is that drivers cannot know the destination before they start the trip. If we can, we won't want to go places like Tuas South or Sungei Kadut.

So many times when I swipe the start button and see such addresses, my heart sinks a little bit. There goes my incentives for that morning.

Actually, such trips that cause us to miss our TPH don't make us money. They actually cost us $20-$30 because we miss the incentives for that time block.

It often causes us to miss the weekly 8-9 am trips target. So it's another $90 gone.

Nowadays, getting up early to drive from 7am-10am on weekdays is not often rewarding anymore. No matter if you work hard or work smart, you still depend on Uber servers over which we have no control.

The system can be tweaked to assign or deny you the ping when you needed it most. You will never know.

#29 · (Edited)
I hope Uber will take rides ending in Pioneer, Jurong Island, Tuas, Tuas South and Zero Civilisation Avenue as two trips.

For example when you are suay enough in AM peak to kenna a ride going to Tuas Land Ends where the sea greets your car, that'd be recorded as two trips on the TPH even as rider pays for single trip fares.

In other words this'd be two trips down, 3 more to go by 10am. Total bookings: 4. Not 5, lah! And TPH would show 1.66.

#30 ·
I hope Uber will take rides ending in Pioneer, Jurong Island, Tuas, Tuas South and Zero Civilisation Avenue as two trips.

For example when you are suay enough in AM peak to kenna a ride going to Tuas Land Ends where the sea meets your car, that'd be recorded as two trips on the TPH even as rider pays for single trip fares.

In other words it's two trips down, 3 more to go by 10am.

Bro, in your dreams Bro...in your dreams....LOL :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.