Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is designed to help and motivate us to make the $1k+ check each week. Post your 1k+ statement here. If you post it you have to explain it and answer specific questions about how you got there.

Here is my statement this week. My formula is Ubering from 4am to 9am Mon and Tues. For Fri and Sat I go to Hoboken and do the bar crowd.
Screenshot_2015-10-04-05-31-48.png

·
Registered
70 Posts
This thread is designed to help and motivate us to make the $1k+ check each week. Post your 1k+ statement here. If you post it you have to explain it and answer specific questions about how you got there.

Here is my statement this week. My formula is Ubering from 4am to 9am Mon and Tues. For Fri and Sat I go to Hoboken and do the bar crowd.
View attachment 14613
How many hours did it took those 28 trips on Saturday?

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When I had the Toyota Camry Hybrid, my prediction was that IN HOBOKEN stop and go I would earn about $375 give or take for every tank of gas from the 17 gallon tank. The Toyota Sienna gets half the mileage of the Camry. If you look on the invoices below you can see that some were XL trips meaning those are trips I would not have received if I had the Camry. For the entire week (not shown below), I calculated I made $200 after Ubers cut with the XL. If I was working Bergen County I would get more highway style mileage rather than short-trip stop and go mileage.

A little about the XL. You never know when someone will order the XL or for what reason. It might be at the start, middle or end of the shift THEREFORE it is entirely important to work an entire 12-16 hour shift. If you do not plan on working a shift, the XL will be useless. This weekend people ordered the XL for large groups and there were two occasions where I found myself with 2-3 large guys who ordered the XL for comfort.

What is not seen here is the cash tips people gave me. For cash tips, you cant ask for it. If you ask directly for it, no one will give it to you. Instead you have to act like you want a cash tip. Think of how a waiter in a restaurant gets a tip. They are very complimentary and act like you are their friend. Always smiling, always cheerful and tend to your needs. This is the same way you have to act. Last night, I went out in a suit jacket, collared white shirt and slacks. The suit jacket was a cheap one I got at JC Penneys years ago, the slacks were dark Dickies type that I got off the internet a while back for I think $20 and the collared shirt something random I had in the closet. It wouldnt pass at a true social or business function, but while in a car at night it looks like a suit. I never let the passengers do anything on their own. When it came time to pack the van for an XL ride, I jumped out ushering them in not allowing them to work the controls of the seats. I offered everyone some bottled water which I get 40 pack for around 4 dollars at Costco. All of the chargers are out in the back. The chargers, power strip and inverter were things I already had before Uber. Most importantly, I engaged each person in personal conversation. "How was the movie?" "How was diner" "Im sorry to hear you broke up with your girlfriend." etc. It ran the gamit.

The cash tips are absolutely essential to making back the money you spent on the gas. That said, I made about $200 in cash tips that week. Fri, Sat and Sun seemed like the pockets were really open especially when guys stepped into the van with women. When a guy is with a woman, they want to impress them and not giving a cash tip is a sin in front of women. Another thing which is essential is the absolute cheapest gas station. When you see cheap gas, you stop and get it no matter how much is in the tank. You dont know if you will see that cheap gas again later. A few times I stopped 3/4 tank because I knew I might not see that cheap gas station again.

YES! It was a lot of trips and I am exhausted right now. This was a good amount of work to make that number.

Remember, if you want to make the numbers you WILL have to work on Monday and Tuesday early morning at 4am positioning yourself in well to do suburbs where money is not an issue. During those times you WILL need to turn the trips over as fast as possible before 9am. After 9am, the business just falls overboard. Thurs, Fri and Sat night until 5am is absolutely essential to making the numbers. Start at 5pm and keep going until 5am. Place yourself in the wealthy suburbs or a place like Hoboken. I also hear Morristown is pretty good and that is also a very well to do area.

Hoboken on Saturday night was absolutely filled with Uber cars. It was the most congested I have ever seen with Uber cars and was wondering when the police would crack it down. Crack it down because the streets were really that congested. Long lines of Uber cars would sit right by the bars with hazard lights flashing and they were really holding up traffic. Every time I cruised around in Hoboken, a car was right behind me and Uber cars were constantly orbiting around Hoboken. In reality, it was not a busy scene last night, but Hoboken looked busy from the shear amount of Uber cars. It might be better to hang out in the wealthy suburbs, but Im also seeing an overcapacity in my county where there are 8-10 cars and at least 3 vans/Toyota Highlanders with a few Black Car Suburbans from local limo companies mixed in.

The spot to hang out in Bergen County at any time, 24 hours, is the Waldwick 7-11 on Wyckoff Ave. There is a bathroom in there, but if you hang out in the parking lot you must buy something. The clerk will come out after about 15 or so minutes and shoo you away. This 7-11 is visited by the Waldwick police department all the time and the clerk knows the officers very well. So if you hang out there at 4am or so absolutely no shannigans and you must buy something. In any event, its a central location and you wont be there for very long. I will stop by to use the bathroom, but I will hang out blacked out on a sidestreet...not in the 7-11. Also 24 hour gas stations along RT 17. These are the key spots to hang out for an airport ride. Keep in mind, you will not be coming back to these places once you get your ticket out of the county. There are very few short fares in Bergen County and most trips take you out of the area.

Another XL vehicle is the Toyota Highlander 4 cylinder 2 wd model with base wheels. This vehicle is probably most ideal in terms of gas mileage. It will get the same as the 6 cylinder while on the road, but use less gas when stopped or idling. However, 50% of the time people order an XL because they really need the room. The Highlander can fit 7 people with the 2nd row bench seat configuration, but it wont hold any large suitcases. Once the third row is up in the Highlander it cant fit much more in the way back. The third row is also uncomfortable in the Highlander. So you will probably either be turning down fares or dealing with sour grape riders as they cant fit all the luggage in the back or try to squeeze in there.

Its amazing that some people expect Chevy Suburban like size when ordering the XL and they will load that vehicle. If you get an XL type vehicle, you absolutely must get the 2nd row bench and it must be able to carry 7 passengers + 1 driver legally. If you get the 6+1 configuration you will either have to load the vehicle up illegally or turn down riders.

I wanted to remark about the wrong passenger as seen in the invoice below. I wasnt paying attention and gave a wrong passenger a ride which resulted in a 1 rating. My rating dumped to a 4.79 which I was able to recover to 4.8. ABSOLUTELY, verify the name of the rider especially in places like Hoboken. No exceptions.

In fact, I just noticed that customer service bogused out two fares for incorrect rider. My understanding was there was only one incident so either they made a mistake or there is something I didnt know about. Things were moving very quickly on those nights. It was really crazy and there were probably a hundred or so Uber cars in Hoboken on that night. Its very easy to make a mistake. Its too late to question those fares and its a lesson learned. I plan on a bunch more fares coming up in the future so I dont think those 1s will last. They will get thrown out eventually.

When choosing a vehicle, always think gas mileage. Get the base model with the smallest wheels Cloth interiors can be changed to leather with the Clazzio do it yourself seat cover kit or you can get a pro to convert it to Katzkin. 95% of the people cant tell its Clazzio seat covers. To them it looks like high end leather.

Lets say you want a Suburban. Try getting the Suburban LS with 18 inch wheels and get the Clazzio kit to convert the cloth to leather. Im not certain how Uber verifies that you have leather or if they do. Check on that first before buying anything. Lets say you want the Camry Hybrid get the LE model with the 16 inch wheels not the model with 17 inch. Think 2wd not 4wd, this isnt Michigan. The reality is after you throw on 200-300k on your vehicle its probably going to be worth not that much anyway and it will be hard to re-sell. You will unload it for a song whether it be 2wd or 4wd or whether its the XLE or the LE or the LS or the LTZ. The onboard video DVD no one looks at and you wont have time to look at it. Dont get those packages. Always get the base model, always get 2wd, always get the smallest base wheels and not the upgraded wheels. Dont bother with tow packages with gearing that makes the gas mpg worse like some of the Suburbans or Expeditions. Always think mpg. If you dont have Hybrid, you will have to make the gas back in ways of cash tips like I did this week.

fridayinvoice1.jpg

firdayinvoice2.jpg

fridayinvoice3.jpg

fridayinvoice4.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
When I had the Toyota Camry Hybrid, my prediction was that IN HOBOKEN stop and go I would earn about $375 give or take for every tank of gas from the 17 gallon tank. The Toyota Sienna gets half the mileage of the Camry. If you look on the invoices below you can see that some were XL trips meaning those are trips I would not have received if I had the Camry. For the entire week (not shown below), I calculated I made $200 after Ubers cut with the XL. If I was working Bergen County I would get more highway style mileage rather than short-trip stop and go mileage.

A little about the XL. You never know when someone will order the XL or for what reason. It might be at the start, middle or end of the shift THEREFORE it is entirely important to work an entire 12-16 hour shift. If you do not plan on working a shift, the XL will be useless. This weekend people ordered the XL for large groups and there were two occasions where I found myself with 2-3 large guys who ordered the XL for comfort.

What is not seen here is the cash tips people gave me. For cash tips, you cant ask for it. If you ask directly for it, no one will give it to you. Instead you have to act like you want a cash tip. Think of how a waiter in a restaurant gets a tip. They are very complimentary and act like you are their friend. Always smiling, always cheerful and tend to your needs. This is the same way you have to act. Last night, I went out in a suit jacket, collared white shirt and slacks. The suit jacket was a cheap one I got at JC Penneys years ago, the slacks were dark Dickies type that I got off the internet a while back for I think $20 and the collared shirt something random I had in the closet. It wouldnt pass at a true social or business function, but while in a car at night it looks like a suit. I never let the passengers do anything on their own. When it came time to pack the van for an XL ride, I jumped out ushering them in not allowing them to work the controls of the seats. I offered everyone some bottled water which I get 40 pack for around 4 dollars at Costco. All of the chargers are out in the back. The chargers, power strip and inverter were things I already had before Uber. Most importantly, I engaged each person in personal conversation. "How was the movie?" "How was diner" "Im sorry to hear you broke up with your girlfriend." etc. It ran the gamit.

The cash tips are absolutely essential to making back the money you spent on the gas. That said, I made about $200 in cash tips that week. Fri, Sat and Sun seemed like the pockets were really open especially when guys stepped into the van with women. When a guy is with a woman, they want to impress them and not giving a cash tip is a sin in front of women. Another thing which is essential is the absolute cheapest gas station. When you see cheap gas, you stop and get it no matter how much is in the tank. You dont know if you will see that cheap gas again later. A few times I stopped 3/4 tank because I knew I might not see that cheap gas station again.

YES! It was a lot of trips and I am exhausted right now. This was a good amount of work to make that number.

Remember, if you want to make the numbers you WILL have to work on Monday and Tuesday early morning at 4am positioning yourself in well to do suburbs where money is not an issue. During those times you WILL need to turn the trips over as fast as possible before 9am. After 9am, the business just falls overboard. Thurs, Fri and Sat night until 5am is absolutely essential to making the numbers. Start at 5pm and keep going until 5am. Place yourself in the wealthy suburbs or a place like Hoboken. I also hear Morristown is pretty good and that is also a very well to do area.

Hoboken on Saturday night was absolutely filled with Uber cars. It was the most congested I have ever seen with Uber cars and was wondering when the police would crack it down. Crack it down because the streets were really that congested. Long lines of Uber cars would sit right by the bars with hazard lights flashing and they were really holding up traffic. Every time I cruised around in Hoboken, a car was right behind me and Uber cars were constantly orbiting around Hoboken. In reality, it was not a busy scene last night, but Hoboken looked busy from the shear amount of Uber cars. It might be better to hang out in the wealthy suburbs, but Im also seeing an overcapacity in my county where there are 8-10 cars and at least 3 vans/Toyota Highlanders with a few Black Car Suburbans from local limo companies mixed in.

The spot to hang out in Bergen County at any time, 24 hours, is the Waldwick 7-11 on Wyckoff Ave. There is a bathroom in there, but if you hang out in the parking lot you must buy something. The clerk will come out after about 15 or so minutes and shoo you away. This 7-11 is visited by the Waldwick police department all the time and the clerk knows the officers very well. So if you hang out there at 4am or so absolutely no shannigans and you must buy something. In any event, its a central location and you wont be there for very long. I will stop by to use the bathroom, but I will hang out blacked out on a sidestreet...not in the 7-11. Also 24 hour gas stations along RT 17. These are the key spots to hang out for an airport ride. Keep in mind, you will not be coming back to these places once you get your ticket out of the county. There are very few short fares in Bergen County and most trips take you out of the area.

Another XL vehicle is the Toyota Highlander 4 cylinder 2 wd model with base wheels. This vehicle is probably most ideal in terms of gas mileage. It will get the same as the 6 cylinder while on the road, but use less gas when stopped or idling. However, 50% of the time people order an XL because they really need the room. The Highlander can fit 7 people with the 2nd row bench seat configuration, but it wont hold any large suitcases. Once the third row is up in the Highlander it cant fit much more in the way back. The third row is also uncomfortable in the Highlander. So you will probably either be turning down fares or dealing with sour grape riders as they cant fit all the luggage in the back or try to squeeze in there.

Its amazing that some people expect Chevy Suburban like size when ordering the XL and they will load that vehicle. If you get an XL type vehicle, you absolutely must get the 2nd row bench and it must be able to carry 7 passengers + 1 driver legally. If you get the 6+1 configuration you will either have to load the vehicle up illegally or turn down riders.

I wanted to remark about the wrong passenger as seen in the invoice below. I wasnt paying attention and gave a wrong passenger a ride which resulted in a 1 rating. My rating dumped to a 4.79 which I was able to recover to 4.8. ABSOLUTELY, verify the name of the rider especially in places like Hoboken. No exceptions.

In fact, I just noticed that customer service bogused out two fares for incorrect rider. My understanding was there was only one incident so either they made a mistake or there is something I didnt know about. Things were moving very quickly on those nights. It was really crazy and there were probably a hundred or so Uber cars in Hoboken on that night. Its very easy to make a mistake. Its too late to question those fares and its a lesson learned. I plan on a bunch more fares coming up in the future so I dont think those 1s will last. They will get thrown out eventually.

When choosing a vehicle, always think gas mileage. Get the base model with the smallest wheels Cloth interiors can be changed to leather with the Clazzio do it yourself seat cover kit or you can get a pro to convert it to Katzkin. 95% of the people cant tell its Clazzio seat covers. To them it looks like high end leather.

Lets say you want a Suburban. Try getting the Suburban LS with 18 inch wheels and get the Clazzio kit to convert the cloth to leather. Im not certain how Uber verifies that you have leather or if they do. Check on that first before buying anything. Lets say you want the Camry Hybrid get the LE model with the 16 inch wheels not the model with 17 inch. Think 2wd not 4wd, this isnt Michigan. The reality is after you throw on 200-300k on your vehicle its probably going to be worth not that much anyway and it will be hard to re-sell. You will unload it for a song whether it be 2wd or 4wd or whether its the XLE or the LE or the LS or the LTZ. The onboard video DVD no one looks at and you wont have time to look at it. Dont get those packages. Always get the base model, always get 2wd, always get the smallest base wheels and not the upgraded wheels. Dont bother with tow packages with gearing that makes the gas mpg worse like some of the Suburbans or Expeditions. Always think mpg. If you dont have Hybrid, you will have to make the gas back in ways of cash tips like I did this week.

View attachment 14637
View attachment 14638
View attachment 14640

View attachment 14641
You really need your own blog. This post is a bit long for a message board. When do you find time to drive?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Geez I've never seen so many min rides as that. What's the point of doing all those crap rides in Hoboken when you can make the same in half the time in the burbs or ewr?
Sorry but no way I'm working 12 hrs for that.
Most of your advice is good but dude I no you live in Hobo area but get the hell outta there. Leave that crap for the NYC TLC idiots to deal with

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are correct. The burbs vs Hoboken. The thing about the burbs and ewr is that sometimes there are no fish biting. Hoboken there is always fish. Last week was weird and it was a slow week, but I still got to a grand. It wasnt easy. GMC was there and he left because it was too slow. My buddy with NYC TLC plates hung out in EWR all day getting two fares total. Sometimes you will get a fare at EWR where they want to go less than 10 miles...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Agree some nights are worse then others but can't stand all the BS in Hoboken.last night I ended up in Montclair area and had non stop requests both surge and non from affluent riders who were smart enough not to drink and drive. Never saw so many cash tips in a night too.
Do realize it was lucky but when I finally got a ride to Hoboken and saw all the drunks I never turned the phone back on until I got out of town.
It's the puckers that will ruin your night and I've had it and makes you jaded. Not worth it to me.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill be honest. Right now Im exhausted and for all the work I put in over the weekend it felt like I should have made 2 grand. I feel burnt, but not from attitudes of the riders. Literally all that driving. Its incredible how much you have to do and make so little. At this point I dont question Nagodesi's logic of heading to Costco. The crappy thing is I have to start driving at 4am. It sucks and I can see where people's negative attitudes come from on here, but what can you do?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Ill be honest. Right now Im exhausted and for all the work I put in over the weekend it felt like I should have made 2 grand. I feel burnt, but not from attitudes of the riders. Literally all that driving. Its incredible how much you have to do and make so little. At this point I dont question Nagodesi's logic of heading to Costco. The crappy thing is I have to start driving at 4am. It sucks and I can see where people's negative attitudes come from on here, but what can you do?
Stage #13 and stage #14
https://uberpeople.net/threads/the-15-stages-of-the-new-driver.38543/#post-506312

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing is this...unemployment in NJ is higher than the national average. Years ago, it wasnt hard to find a good job in the city or in Jersey. Now its tough. If you are not well connected like some of these guys who live around Bergen County, etc. you are stuck working your ass off. No one wants to work, but they have to do it. So its not like many of us have a choice in this. What else can we do?

Thats cool that you have your stages list, but in Jersey we have our own list which is either work your ass off or live on the street. Some other guys in Jersey are on another list all together with great connections, trust funds and inheritance....while some of us depend upon multiple jobs. Its the way it goes.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Geez I've never seen so many min rides as that. What's the point of doing all those crap rides in Hoboken when you can make the same in half the time in the burbs or ewr?
Sorry but no way I'm working 12 hrs for that.
Most of your advice is good but dude I no you live in Hobo area but get the hell outta there. Leave that crap for the NYC TLC idiots to deal with
I don t pick up Hoboken without a surge. Every driver shoul know that. I make decent money in Hudson/Bergen county without Hoboken. I don t need those train station rides with no tip from people who are spending tons of money just to live in that town. If you pay high rent then you can pay high surge for Uber. Specially when is bad traffic Hoboken is not good

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts

View attachment 14613

View attachment 14613

Attachments

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet! Thanks for this. How did you accomplish it? What is your routine? Just a little summary to go with it so we can learn from it.

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts
Well, Im basically Shore (live here) and EWR exclusively. When I go to NYC, Ill hit Hoboken on the way back but only for surge. $1.10 there is not worth the aggravation. I do like JC around the Westin and Marriott on Washington. EWR rides from there are common. Not huge, but they pay me to go where I want anyway.

The other thing I work hard at is developing a repeatable client base. Id say about 20% of my rides come from people calling me. Everything is on the Uber clock. I do not accept cash for rides. If I did, the passenger isn't covered by the Uber liability insurance and its just wrong anyway.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Only drove 3 days & 7 trips but did okay - Uber Black
TOTAL PAYOUT
$560.36
Period Ending: October 5, 2015 4AM EDT
TRIP EARNINGS $560.36
>
Fare
>
Surcharges & Tolls