Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivers! This is a perfect example regarding the amount of respect Uber has for the drivers.

I woke up this morning and began driving at 4:00am, there were some good surges, then around 6am, Fuber turned surges off. With so many people in a concentrated area there should be at least a few surges through-out the city.

Basically, Uber turned the surge feature off due to the Pope's visit. That's ok, but out of respect for the drivers, tell us when you play these games!!!

I refuse to drive in trafiic, with all the police, and emergency vechicles for the base rate! I refuse! I'd rather drive in an empty car than pick-up someone to drive to Constitution Ave. and deal with the traffic and security. We all knew what they think of us, let this serve as proof!!!

P.S. they pulled the same crap on New Years Eve, between 12:00 - 1:00am. I'm out here working to make money and not spending time with my family.... Not to only make $1.00 per mile you Bastards!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seriously, what proof do you have that this was a setup?

I was on a few times and saw very little to no yellow, orange surge but, most of the people took metro or biked in.

If you know DC well enough, you would have known that today was a slow day. On top of all this, it is a Jewish holiday and many schools are out and others off.

Stop the misinformation!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Seriously, what proof do you have that this was a setup?

I was on a few times and saw very little to no yellow, orange surge but, most of the people took metro or biked in.

If you know DC well enough, you would have known that today was a slow day. On top of all this, it is a Jewish holiday and many schools are out and others off.

Stop the misinformation!
UberFish.....

Stop for a second and apply a little common sense if you would.

If there is a baseball game with 20,000 people and it ends what happens in Southeast??? It Surges when the game is over.

Today, the POPE drives around Consitution Ave. when it's over... nothing??? With so many people leaving a venue at the same time it's not mathematically possible for there not to be any additional activity...

If a concert with only a thousand people ends in Northeast there are surges, so you say that there are no surges after a major national event??? IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE THE ONE WITH THE MISINFORMATION

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most of these people are out drinking all day... That is why they are Ubering or taking Metro. Most of the people that are seeing the Pope are families and a much different atmosphere.

People are taking metro or staying home today.

Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of these people are out drinking all day... That is why they are Ubering or taking Metro. Most of the people that are seeing the Pope are families and a much different atmosphere.

People are taking metro or staying home today.

Enjoy!!!!
Look UberFish... Families don't go to baseball games???

A Family can't catch an Uber? I've picked up hundreds of families on Consistution Ave. on a Sunday. and Guess what... it was surging.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
At least for me, I do not think uber "turned off surges" today. For one thing Uber benefits from surges as do drivers. I can't think of any rational reason they would simply turn off surges. Much more likely is that there is not demand or there are plenty of drivers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Trust me... All the other drivers will tell you the same thing, your wrong.

Today was a day to relax and grab some free lunch on Uber for the guarantee. Not the surges.

Too many closed businesses, schools out and people who aren't commited to seeing the Pope staying away from the area after all the hype on the news.

Baseball games, concerts etc all end at night or later afternoons when there is a lot of demand already for rides. This is not the case today with only the Pope activities in DC and others staying away.

You really don't know the market!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bart McCoy - as you know, this is a much different atmosphere than a Nats game that ends at 1030 on a Friday and there is already demand in the area for the college kids to head to the bars.

Not surprised at all.

·
Registered
448 Posts
And the winner for today is....METRO
that's right METRO's spokesman said that the Brookland station was configured for exit only when coming to mass
it would handle 20,000 riders an hour..when mass is over it would become an entrance only station..they estimated for only 25-30,000 people..that would only take Metro 2 hrs to move that many people away from one event to the next..why did Uber want to know who's driving before today..what was the pre-confirmation all about..when we pressed the button did we doom ourselves in some diabolical way..or was Uber & the DC Govt working together to help the struggling Metro system generate revenue by crippling the platform in exchange for whatever..call it conspiracy theories or whatever..the point is never underestimate your opponent..why did the news outlets suggest leaving your cars at home & take Metro instead..if drivers stay home & leave thier cars..just like what happened there wouldn't be any traffic therefore they could've said take Metro or use Uber..they didn't do that though..just pushed Metro all week the same unreliable system that catches fire & breaks down every other month..smh

·
Banned
47 Posts
Drivers! This is a perfect example regarding the amount of respect Uber has for the drivers.

I woke up this morning and began driving at 4:00am, there were some good surges, then around 6am, Fuber turned surges off. With so many people in a concentrated area there should be at least a few surges through-out the city.

Basically, Uber turned the surge feature off due to the Pope's visit. That's ok, but out of respect for the drivers, tell us when you play these games!!!

I refuse to drive in trafiic, with all the police, and emergency vechicles for the base rate! I refuse! I'd rather drive in an empty car than pick-up someone to drive to Constitution Ave. and deal with the traffic and security. We all knew what they think of us, let this serve as proof!!!

P.S. they pulled the same crap on New Years Eve, between 12:00 - 1:00am. I'm out here working to make money and not spending time with my family.... Not to only make $1.00 per mile you Bastards!!!
Seriously? I truly believe uber drivers must be able to pass basic math before driving for uber.
Ok, according to Virginia motor vehicles around 25,000 divers had registered for TNC tags out of those 25,000 probably lets say 16,000 to 17,000 were from counties that could be reasonably driving in DC. Now we have no idea how many driver in DC, Maryland, and Virginia didn't register for TNC but let's ASSUME it's 50%. So that would be another 8000 to 8500 divers. So that would make the total guestamated divers in DC around 24,000 to 25,500 and if anything I personally think that is an underestimation.
Now for the pope you have the white house ceremony with 15,000 attending, let's be generous and say there is another 50,000 along the parade route, and then you have the mass at the Catholic U with 25,000 and again we will be generous and say another 10,000 watching on the big screen TV's. Being generous and assuming none of those people were attending more than one event, none of them were driving, biking walking, busing, taking the metro, or taxi that would be 100,000 people needing an uber, and again that's assuming each and every pope event uber was transporting 100% of the crowd.
Now again let's underestimate and assume uber with their guarantees, and promise of big dollars was able to get 30% of their divers on the road that would be 7200 divers on the road. Now again assuming uber transports all 100,000 people that would be 14 point Something passengers per driver.
Now out of this ridiculous scenario were we have assumed uber had cornered 100% of the market and I still can't figure out how anyone would think there was a possibility of a surge.

Remember this for new years please.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seriously? I truly believe uber drivers must be able to pass basic math before driving for uber.
Ok, according to Virginia motor vehicles around 25,000 divers had registered for TNC tags out of those 25,000 probably lets say 16,000 to 17,000 were from counties that could be reasonably driving in DC. Now we have no idea how many driver in DC, Maryland, and Virginia didn't register for TNC but let's ASSUME it's 50%. So that would be another 8000 to 8500 divers. So that would make the total guestamated divers in DC around 24,000 to 25,500 and if anything I personally think that is an underestimation.
Hi responseuber,

Look my only point was that today was a monumental disappointment! As of January 2015, Uber stated that they have 10,000 drivers registered on the platform in Greater Washington DC area. Now that was before the 30% rate cut and the massive recruitment efforts to acquire new drivers at Gas Stations, etc.

I have a day job, so I'm fine.

I simply believe that the rates should be higher at least $1.25 and .25 per minute and allow tipping. When I say this there are 10 idiots lining up saying higher rates would hurt the business, well my response is lower rates is hurting the business.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bart2puck - Because DC_Ride_Share has no idea what he is talking about.
Ok... so you say, there is no manipulation by Uber and the reason there have been no surges all day is because the 25,000 people attending the mass and the 50,000 people who attended the parade all caught the metro... I do not agree but ok...

But according to Uber more drivers = more business, how is that working out for everybody???

Let me be clear, I think drivers should receive a higher base fare, at least $1.25 per mile and .25 per minute. Trips should start 3 minutes after arrival and tipping should be added to the app. I don't want drivers to have to depend on surges to earn a decent living.... I bet you even disagree with that!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
And the winner for today is....METRO
that's right METRO's spokesman said that the Brookland station was configured for exit only when coming to mass
it would handle 20,000 riders an hour..when mass is over it would become an entrance only station..they estimated for only 25-30,000 people..that would only take Metro 2 hrs to move that many people away from one event to the next..why did Uber want to know who's driving before today..what was the pre-confirmation all about..when we pressed the button did we doom ourselves in some diabolical way..or was Uber & the DC Govt working together to help the struggling Metro system generate revenue by crippling the platform in exchange for whatever..call it conspiracy theories or whatever..the point is never underestimate your opponent..why did the news outlets suggest leaving your cars at home & take Metro instead..if drivers stay home & leave thier cars..just like what happened there wouldn't be any traffic therefore they could've said take Metro or use Uber..they didn't do that though..just pushed Metro all week the same unreliable system that catches fire & breaks down every other month..smh
Dude I think you may have been driving too long today....time to take a break ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts