Uber Drivers Forum banner

How did your city surge tonight?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a hypothesis brewin' , but I need to see the responses from your city. Ours was minimal tonight.

Stay tuned...I think we all just got f****d

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I know the city of Chicago pretty well in the traffic was super light. There's just stretch on Clark Street between Belmont and Addison that's usually a parking lot at 3 in the morning wasn't even close today

·
Super Moderator
15,271 Posts
Please disregard mine, I accidentaly touched screen, once in the poll couldn't remove my vote.

I have no idea if it surged.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
We have tons of requests but 90% short trips. Requests from surge zone with no surge pricing is new trend in Uber which is happening a lot.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Got a ping from an area in 1.5 surge, but the surge magically stopped (apparently) after I accepted the request. Dumb.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine was below. It was college game day with 2 Big 12 teams. Last game day 2 weeks ago I made a LOT more with fewer rides. The surge was very spotty, and almost every time there was one I didn't get a ping, it'd go away, and pings would come in.

We had as much as 4.5 surge 2 times. Once I got no pings. Once I got one for a minimum fare/short ride. We also had some 3.5 surge (no pings), 2.1 surge (1 ping), and 1.5 surge (2 pings).

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
ReviTULize What are the effects of simple timing on the sure? There is lag between pax and driver apps correct? that will create confusion. Also, pax have two minutes or so to book at the rate given at the moment of checking for rates. A lot can happen in to minutes.

What happens if lots of pax log on with intent to book but the vast majority of them simply wait patiently? A buddy of mine told me he saw a 3X surge here which is very expensive, figure almost $7/mile if you figure driving two minute a mile ($5.25 and $.75/minute at $6 to start the trip). That is nothing new for this fall.

What was new was that my friend said he could see the surge at 3x and cars were just sitting. We could both seem them in fact sitting on the street. Once the surge was gone, the cars started moving again.

Could the duration of the surge be linked to the rate at which individual driver log back onto the system? This could be a factor of seconds and could have to do with big fluctuation of drivers and potential pax. - It volatile at times.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Mine was below. It was college game day with 2 Big 12 teams. Last game day 2 weeks ago I made a LOT more with fewer rides. The surge was very spotty, and almost every time there was one I didn't get a ping, it'd go away, and pings would come in.

We had as much as 4.5 surge 2 times. Once I got no pings. Once I got one for a minimum fare/short ride. We also had some 3.5 surge (no pings), 2.1 surge (1 ping), and 1.5 surge (2 pings).
You look like Greta Garbo! Well, kind of.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't drive at night. Too many drivers, rating dive-bombing from drunks, etc. Got surge pricing on a trip this morning, which was nice I guess. Got me an extra couple of bucks.

I see surge pricing come up all the time on the app, but rarely if ever do I get a ride at all during it. When I do, it's usually not surged.

Reactions: RachelD

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SoI think that Uber has backhandedly screwed the drivers by altering their surge algorithym. Now that Uber is getting more for it's SRF from EVERY SINGLE RIDE..they could justify this. The pax will learn that it does not surge as often and not as high and use the service more often. Thus Uber nets more all of the time, surge or not.

thoughts?

·
Registered
182 Posts
SoI think that Uber has backhandedly screwed the drivers by altering their surge algorithym. Now that Uber is getting more for it's SRF from EVERY SINGLE RIDE..they could justify this. The pax will learn that it does not surge as often and not as high and use the service more often. Thus Uber nets more all of the time, surge or not.

thoughts?
Anything that gets more pax actually going on rides is a good thing for those of us still struggling to earn a living with this.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Didnt work, but I just watched our surge again tonight. 1.5x to 2.1x at 2am in the morning...then GONE!!! This is not normal for Tulsa. Major concert night, beautiful weather, winter coming. Seriously...they have done something with the surge algorithm!

·
Registered
77 Posts
What is this surge you speak of? Try working in a small market where if it ever happens it is from 2am to 215am friday n saturday.
We hosted the first round basketball playoffs ...no surge
Uber sponsored darius Rucker last night. No surge.
College parents wknd nope
Homecoming nope
Alumni wknd. Nope
Its pretty much noexistent here
In fact early morning its common for no uberx available.
I can go hours without a ping wkdays8 am to 8 pm.
Be glad for something

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is this surge you speak of? Try working in a small market where if it ever happens it is from 2am to 215am friday n saturday.
We hosted the first round basketball playoffs ...no surge
Uber sponsored darius Rucker last night. No surge.
College parents wknd nope
Homecoming nope
Alumni wknd. Nope
Its pretty much noexistent here
In fact early morning its common for no uberx available.
I can go hours without a ping wkdays8 am to 8 pm.
Be glad for something
How long has it been in Dayton? It took a few months to catch on here in Tulsa. But still...I think they've changed it somehow.

I don't really care all that much...but that's usually the only time I drive

1 - 20 of 22 Posts