Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who decided that when the police dept. Gets a call for a domestic violence issue that in order to deescalate the problem they offer the offender a choice. You can go to jail OR call an Uber and remove yourself from the situation. This happened to me. I don't want that raving lunatic in my car.. they are usually drunk and very unpredictable. It seems as though the police just want to make their problem my problem.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Who decided that when the police dept. Gets a call for a domestic violence issue that in order to deescalate the problem they offer the offender a choice. You can go to jail OR call an Uber and remove yourself from the situation. This happened to me. I don't want that raving lunatic in my car.. they are usually drunk and very unpredictable. It seems as though the police just want to make their problem my problem.
Just to add flames to the fire. I love it when a covid patient goes to the hospital for treatment and it's determined that they don't need to be hospitalized so a nurse calls up an Uber to get them home.

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts
Gets a call for a domestic violence issue that in order to deescalate the problem they offer the offender a choice. You can go to jail OR call an Uber and remove yourself from the situation.
I thought in domestic violence situations the cops HAD to make an arrest?

Reactions: Uber's Guber

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
As per the T.O.S., If ANY potential pax/pick-up makes you uneasy, you have the right to cancel.

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
I don't want that raving lunatic in my car.. they are usually drunk and very unpredictable. It seems as though the police just want to make their problem my problem.
Drive the raving lunatic around the corner, call the police to respond again. Remind police this is what it’s like to waste each other’s time.

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
That’s up to state law.
Likewise with pressing charges; some DA’s in certain states can pursue charges without the cooperation of the victim.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Why not see the situation. Drive off . Call support tell them the pax is outside yelling and cursing .
Collect your fee move on.
There are no longer a way to edit a reply ?
I want to comment .
You said 28mpg. That is horrible .
My 3 year old hyundai with 120k i average 40mpg on the freeway driving 75
If i cut the speed to 60 ish ill get 50 mpg
In the city is 30s .
Unless your looking at a suv.
Please buy a used beat up car for rideshare . Keep your new car for you and the family .
Edit . For the hospital. You see where the pick up location is . Cancel move on .

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not see the situation. Drive off . Call support tell them the pax is outside yelling and cursing .
Collect your fee move on.
That's what I did. My point was why do the police thinks it's OK to put an Uber driver in that potentially dangerous situation.

·
Premium Member
11,049 Posts
That's what I did. My point was why do the police thinks it's OK to put an Uber driver in that potentially dangerous situation.
OH, I dunno ... because ... they think IT'S YOUR JOB?

Just say no and hit the gas.
"Am I free to go officer or am I under arrest?"

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Drive the raving lunatic around the corner, call the police to respond again. Remind police this is what it’s like to waste each other’s time.
😂

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
On the contrary. In most places, the police prefer to not make an arrest like that.

Sure, if one of the two people has been assaulted within an inch if his life, they're going to arrest the perpetrator.

But the vast majority of "domestic violence" situations consist of a "he said / she said" argument that turned into a shoving match. There's not any good that's going to result from arresting either or both of them.

And no officer is going to make an arrest if the officer isn't convinced that a crime was committed.

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts
On the contrary. In most places, the police prefer to not make an arrest like that.

Sure, if one of the two people has been assaulted within an inch if his life, they're going to arrest the perpetrator.

But the vast majority of "domestic violence" situations consist of a "he said / she said" argument that turned into a shoving match. There's not any good that's going to result from arresting either or both of them.

And no officer is going to make an arrest if the officer isn't convinced that a crime was committed.
I meant if there's a sign of actual abuse/assault. Not every DV call.

Should've been more specific.

Reactions: Christinebitg

·
24,213 Posts
I don't want that raving lunatic in my car.. they are usually drunk and very unpredictable. It seems as though the police just want to make their problem my problem.
(emphasis added)
a covid patient goes to the hospital for treatment and it's determined that they don't need to be hospitalized so a nurse calls up an Uber to get them home.
why do the police thinks it's OK to put an Uber driver in that potentially dangerous situation.
WELCOME TO MY WORLD. The operative words are those emphasised. People have been doing this to cab drivers for years. They have a "problem". They want the "problem" off them. The easiest way to get a "problem" off yourself is to put it onto someone else/ For years, that "someone else" was a cab driver. Now, it is the Uber/Lyft driver. I refused to let people dump their problems on me for cab rates. I certainly am not about to do it for Uber's and Lyft's garbage rates.

They all want to make their "problem" your "problem". Once it is your "problem", it is no longer their "problem".

Hospitals-the worst offender.
Hotels
Bars
Restaurants
Police
Do-gooders and assorted other Social Justice Warriors
Clubs.

When I drove a radio cab, if I got to the address and saw police cars, I told the dispatcher that there were a bunch of police cars there and that the police chased me away from the address. If the police called back and the dispatcher wanted me to go back to the address, I suddenly had a street pick up or a flat tire. If hotel, restaurant, bar or club workers tried to pour a "problem" into my cab, it was

Any time that you are about to get a dumping job, BOOK, BOLT, BOOGIE, BUT Golf Tango Foxtrot Oscar of there on the double. Let some ant run it. They have ants for a reason.

·
Premium Member
11,049 Posts
When I drove a radio cab, if I got to the address and saw police cars, I told the dispatcher that there were a bunch of police cars there and that the police chased me away from the address. If the police called back and the dispatcher wanted me to go back to the address, I suddenly had a street pick up or a flat tire. If hotel, restaurant, bar or club workers tried to pour a "problem" into my cab,
LoL
This brings back memories ... someone who's done that for a time should write a book.
I drove in San Francisco in 1975ish for two years. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 6pm to 6am.
WHAT an education.

And, yes, prevention is everything.
Call me TROJAN MAN ...

My gut was pretty accurate. I could feel ... something ... a tingle and it made me want to hit the gas. Hard.
And, I did -- sometimes just because I got that feeling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts