Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded my old TLC Car for a new Car.
I got the regular insurance and regular plates on the new car.
I still have the old TLC plates and wanna do a transfer.

My question is
Do i need to wait for Registration on the new car to complete the vehicle transfer?
Or can i just make the vehicle transfer appointment with Bill of sale?

What are the steps if any?
Thank You

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
As soon as the dealer process the paperwork for registration you are good. You don't need the actual registration, but it has to be in the system in Albany. Call the DMV to check on that

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
I did this a few months ago. As soon as the registration is in the system with the regular plates get new taxi insurance cards and go to the DMV to do the plate transfer.
Explain to them that the dealer couldn't transfer the TLC plates and got you regular ones.
Most clerks at the DMV know this routine.
I would call the DMV every day to check on the registration status of your car.
What car did you get?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I recently traded my old TLC Car for a new Car.
I got the regular insurance and regular plates on the new car.
I still have the old TLC plates and wanna do a transfer.

My question is
Do i need to wait for Registration on the new car to complete the vehicle transfer?
Or can i just make the vehicle transfer appointment with Bill of sale?

What are the steps if any?
Thank You
I've already made a guide for those who needs help with this
https://uberpeople.net/threads/plate-transfer-guide.162647/

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm also thinking of trading off my car, did you have to pay so much?
I lost about 13k. So it wasn't that bad lol.
Just check different dealerships, they offer different appraisals. Go with the best one.

Wow .. You had TLC plates before so I know you must have had TLC insurance right so you must have had a broker right why not ask them ?? I'm just saying .
Yea you're right but i seen and read somewhere that you dont need to wait for the actual registration for the plate transfer. So im just making sure if that's correct.

I even called up Uber and they said you can do it with the temporary registration.
So im just a lil confused thats all.

I did this a few months ago. As soon as the registration is in the system with the regular plates get new taxi insurance cards and go to the DMV to do the plate transfer.
Explain to them that the dealer couldn't transfer the TLC plates and got you regular ones.
Most clerks at the DMV know this routine.
I would call the DMV every day to check on the registration status of your car.
What car did you get?
Thanks A lot
Ill do that tomm and post the update.
I got 2017 Infiniti q50

I've already made a guide for those who needs help with this
https://uberpeople.net/threads/plate-transfer-guide.162647/
Thanks
I did read your guide. It was helpful but
I didnt expedite the registration process with the dealer, so i dont want to wait 15 days for the registration to come.
And Uber told me i dont have to wait and i can just take the temporary registration to the dmv.

Another driver told me i can do it with the bill of sale.

So im just confused on what to do.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Thanks
I did read your guide. It was helpful but
I didnt expedite the registration process with the dealer, so i dont want to wait 15 days for the registration to come.
And Uber told me i dont have to wait and i can just take the temporary registration to the dmv.

Another driver told me i can do it with the bill of sale.

So im just confused on what to do.
Best of luck with TLC accepting bill of sale or temporary registration, it all depends on the agent you get I guess, I went to register both my new cars with temp reg + bill of sale and sent me back home.
You can also have your dealer get your registration as early as the same day...just pay them an extra fee and ask them to have someone run to DMV with your papers.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As long as the registration was processed, you are fine. From processing date to actually seeing it may take more than a week.
I called the DMV in Albany and they told me the car isn't in the system yet.

Best of luck with TLC accepting bill of sale or temporary registration, it all depends on the agent you get I guess, I went to register both my new cars with temp reg + bill of sale and sent me back home.
You can also have your dealer get your registration as early as the same day...just pay them an extra fee and ask them to have someone run to DMV with your papers.
I called the dealer and they said they already expedited the process and I should have it soon.
So I guess ill wait

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Bill of sale keeps getting mentioned as a required document. Neither DMV nor TLC needed my bill of sale. I tried to give it to TLC, but the counter person handed is back. It was not needed. Only the broker needed it to transfer insurance to new vehicle.

Completed my registration transfer at DMV without having the permanent registration for my non-TLC plates in my hand. As stated previously, it just needs to be updated in DMV's database. Wish I had known that I simply needed to call to verify. Instead, I kept going to DMV only for the counter person to tell me that my car is still registered to the dealer, and I must wait until I get my perm registration. Last visit to DMV, they completed the transfer without the perm registration because my car was now showing as being registered to me.

The above linked guide does do a good job of spelling out the steps. I thought I knew better. I ignored the part about asking the dealer to expedite the registration process, as I thought it was referring to the vehicle title; and I knew you did not need the title. So I ended up having to wait longer for the dealer to finally get my registration updated at DMV.

Also, I ignored the part about getting a base letter and appointment for TLC from the base because I knew I didn't need a base letter and I could make my own appointment. Did so, downloaded the form for vehicle transfer from TLC, completed it and showed up for my self made appointment. There is when I found out that the vehicle transfer application had to be signed by your base. Uber office has presigned forms. Had I went to Uber's office first and let them just make my appointment, they would have given me the presigned vehicle transfer form, and I would not have risked losing my appointment at TLC. Thankfully, TLC counter person allowed me to go to Uber and come back with the signed form without kicking me out of the queue.

Conclusion of my experience: when someone makes your life easier by spelling out exactly what you need to do, don't make things complicated by choosing to do something different or figure things out for yourself.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bill of sale keeps getting mentioned as a required document. Neither DMV nor TLC needed my bill of sale. I tried to give it to TLC, but the counter person handed is back. It was not needed. Only the broker needed it to transfer insurance to new vehicle.

Completed my registration transfer at DMV without having the permanent registration for my non-TLC plates in my hand. As stated previously, it just needs to be updated in DMV's database. Wish I had known that I simply needed to call to verify. Instead, I kept going to DMV only for the counter person to tell me that my car is still registered to the dealer, and I must wait until I get my perm registration. Last visit to DMV, they completed the transfer without the perm registration because my car was now showing as being registered to me.

The above linked guide does do a good job of spelling out the steps. I thought I knew better. I ignored the part about asking the dealer to expedite the registration process, as I thought it was referring to the vehicle title; and I knew you did not need the title. So I ended up having to wait longer for the dealer to finally get my registration updated at DMV.

Also, I ignored the part about getting a base letter and appointment for TLC from the base because I knew I didn't need a base letter and I could make my own appointment. Did so, downloaded the form for vehicle transfer from TLC, completed it and showed up for my self made appointment. There is when I found out that the vehicle transfer application had to be signed by your base. Uber office has presigned forms. Had I went to Uber's office first and let them just make my appointment, they would have given me the presigned vehicle transfer form, and I would not have risked losing my appointment at TLC. Thankfully, TLC counter person allowed me to go to Uber and come back with the signed form without kicking me out of the queue.

Conclusion of my experience: when someone makes your life easier by spelling out exactly what you need to do, don't make things complicated by choosing to do something different or figure things out for yourself.
Thanks alot bro
You helped clear some things up.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Call the DMV on Friday, if not in the system call on Monday and so on.
Meanwhile transfer your TLC insurance from old car to the new one.
The DMV needs to know that it is being titled in your Name and not leased.
Q50 is not eligible for black?
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Make sure you also choose the appropriate cancelation dates for your non-TLC insurance policy. I backdated my cancellation to a date that was prior to the surrender of my non-TLC plates. DMV, unfortunately, was lazy in their paperwork, as they could not discern that my TLC insurance was active on the day I cancelled my non-TLC insurance. So, I received a lovely suspension notice from them. Today, I received the rescind notice, as I was found to have submitted "acceptable" proof.

When cancelling my non-TLC policy, I almost mistakenly gave a wrong cancellation date. Thankfully, Geico advised me to be absolutely certain. Too bad Geico doesn't offer commercial auto insurance in NY. They have served me well in noncommercial settings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts