Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thing is, that's what I do to make the most money. I play taxi. It sounds strange but when I see 10 taxi cabs lined up at 44 gerrard st east at 3:45am I have no choice but to park with them. Taxi knows the game way more than the casual uber driver. Follow the taxi and you shall make dolo is my motto.
I understand that this doesn't work for a full-time UBER driver, or even for other Mississauga/Suburban part timers, but my system is ridiculously simple, and I'm only doing LYFT - I could make far more if I installed the UBER app and did both:

• Drive after 10pm. (mostly on weekends.)
  • Read book on Patio while EV is charging until first ping.
  • Drive Pax to their destination.
  • Start driving back to my house. (No surge chasing.)
  • Answer any pings along the way. (I only put the car in destination mode when I'm about to turn the APP off for the night.)
  • I do more than OK doing this.
  • I do not gross $1/km (which is an interesting metric many drivers use when playing taxi downtown.)
  • I do gross about $0.60/km due to extra kms in the suburbs and always 'driving home' (not in destination mode.)
  • I do net about $0.60/km (due to ~$0.01/km fuel costs on EV.)

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I understand that this doesn't work for a full-time UBER driver, or even for other Mississauga/Suburban part timers, but my system is ridiculously simple, and I'm only doing LYFT - I could make far more if I installed the UBER app and did both:

• Answer any pings along the way. (I only put the car in destination mode when I'm about to turn the APP off for the night.)
  • I do not gross $1/km (which is an interesting metric many drivers use when playing taxi downtown.)
  • I do gross about $0.60/km due to extra kms in the suburbs and always 'driving home' (not in destination mode.)
I drive my local start bucks

·
Registered
656 Posts

I also am part time and do something similar.I drive only after 7pm weekdays and weekends,if I get taken downtown on crazy weekends,I set my deatidestiom as far north as I am willing to go,if by the time someone else takes me downtown traffic dies down,if not I set destination back uptown.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I also am part time and do something similar.I drive only after 7pm weekdays and weekends,if I get taken downtown on crazy weekends,I set my deatidestiom as far north as I am willing to go,if by the time someone else takes me downtown traffic dies down,if not I set destination back uptown.
Did you go to loli's school of spelling? :D

·
Premium Member
8,607 Posts

In your case, your fuel cost is much less than an ICE vehicle. So the only relevant metric is the amount per hour earned. However, if you are occupied with other tasks while waiting for a trip, then that wait time is no longer unpaid unproductive time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's more or less been my modus operandi for the past 2 years, except I'm an early bird so I do it from 6:30 am to 10:30 am. 4 days a week. works for me. Last year's earnings allowed me to trade in my 2011 Kia for a 2014 and damned if they didn't give me back over 2K in HST last quarter. Told my tale in the HST thread and I'm happy to say after all that file submitting and pleading my case they returned even more than I was expecting. I'm on direct deposit so there was no explanation as to why their refund exceeded my expectations. I mistrust these kind of arbitrary changes in agreed-upon transactions so I'll leave it in savings until I'm sure CRA isn't going to "reassess" me.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
That's more or less been my modus operandi for the past 2 years, except I'm an early bird so I do it from 6:30 am to 10:30 am. 4 days a week. works for me. Last year's earnings allowed me to trade in my 2011 Kia for a 2014 and damned if they didn't give me back over 2K in HST last quarter. Told my tale in the HST thread and I'm happy to say after all that file submitting and pleading my case they returned even more than I was expecting. I'm on direct deposit so there was no explanation as to why their refund exceeded my expectations. I mistrust these kind of arbitrary changes in agreed-upon transactions so I'll leave it in savings until I'm sure CRA isn't going to "reassess" me.
How is the 2014 compared to the 2011?

·
Registered
473 Posts
How is the 2014 compared to the 2011?
Much improved. The seats are more comfortable, heated and cooled and the drivers side slides back so you don't have to unfold to get out and in. Few other options I like. Makes driving more interesting especially with the twin machine guns mounted in the front signal lights.

·
Registered
139 Posts

What about the cost for depreciation, you should account for that too.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I drive only after 7pm weekdays and weekends.
For the first couple of years, I drove exclusively at night. I love night driving. I used to take an antipsychotic (Risperdal for OCD [off label]) which had the side effect of very restful sleep. I've since ended my relationship with antipsychotics. Now, unless I get to bed by 10:30 pm, my sleep will be will be distributed and I'll be tired the whole of the next day. Thus I (regretfully) have to drive daytime now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not planning on selling the car. All cars are severely depreciating assets, so might as well drive them.
Still you are going to bury it sometime so it will have depreciated its full value. Try to find out in how many kms that happens for your car model.

I respect hybrids, didn't have the courage to buy for $15k more though.

·
Premium Member
15,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still you are going to bury it sometime so it will have depreciated its full value. Try to find out in how many kms that happens for your car model.

I respect hybrids, didn't have the courage to buy for $15k more though.
It's my family car. I will drive it until it drives no more then get another one. Bonus with Range extended EV, as long as I am driving on electrons, wear and tear to car engine is near-zero.

·
Premium Member
8,607 Posts
Not planning on selling the car. All cars are severely depreciating assets, so might as well drive them.
However, the depreciation matters in this case, because your car cannot be used once its more than 7 years old. That limits the return you get while your earning with your car. If you were not driving Uber in the GTA where the age limit was 15 years in other places, than the depreciation would be meaningless as more than likely you'll drive the car into the ground before reaching the 15 years.

·
Premium Member
15,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
However, the depreciation matters in this case, because your car cannot be used once its more than 7 years old. That limits the return you get while your earning with your car. If you were not driving Uber in the GTA where the age limit was 15 years in other places, than the depreciation would be meaningless as more than likely you'll drive the car into the ground before reaching the 15 years.
I suppose my Ride share career will be over when the car no longer qualifies on the platform.

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
By the time my car hits 7 years you will all be replaced by self driving cars. Just remember there is always delivery till the drones take over.
That's what I don't get. I hear so many people committing themselves to this as if it will last a lifetime. I would be crapping my pants if uber was my only source of income. Forget the AI and drones, after hearing all these false accusations and accidents stories you could be done much much sooner.

·
Premium Member
15,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what I don't get. I hear so many people committing themselves to this as if it will last a lifetime. I would be crapping my pants if uber was my only source of income. Forget the AI and drones, after hearing all these false accusations and accidents stories you could be done much much sooner.
Most of the people put up roadblocks in their minds. The whole Uber/Lyft community with their griping is starting to sound like the Cabbies 5 years ago. I'm happy to see the lot of them go obsolete. I'll drive for spending $$ because i have a cheap vehicle in terms of operational costs, but when its gone. It's gone!

·
Premium Member
15,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
U still have moving parts no?
Internal Combustion Engine: 10,000 moving parts .
EV: 100 moving parts.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=387514
I only bring my Nissan Leaf into the shop once every 18 months to rotate the tires and inspect brakes. There are no transmission fluids, engine oil, serpentine belts, etc. etc. Thus little regular maintenance needs to be done, and the brakes pump the energy back into the battery via dynamos, so brake pads last 5 times longer.

The Chevy Volt, with its range extending back-up engine goes in only once a year for an oil change (I have a deal with my snow tire guy who swaps and rotates the tires 2x year for free, as long as I buy all my tires through him).

I put <25% km on gas - after 2 years ownership and doing ride share for one of those years, I have ~10,000km on my volt via the gasoline engine - and that includes a trip to Halifax and back, and lots of weekend runs into Haliburton County and back)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts