Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber drivers in the waiting area at Majura Park have a good view of planes taking off from and landing at Canberra Airport.

Am I correct in my recollection that planes taking off typically need to clear the Costco building (with nearby large petrol station), which is essentially at the end of the runway?

I ask this question in view of the tragic crash of a plane into the DFO building adjacent to Essendon Airport in Melbourne.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Unless they are pissed, pilots aren't going to go anywhere near Costco and other buildings. However, I'm told that buildings around airports produce eddies in the wind under certain conditions, and crosswind landings are difficult enough.

The DFO building at Essendon looked like it was in a poor location. In this case, the airport owner makes more money from selling or renting land for development than running an airport. Essendon is a pretty good location nowadays, and if they built medium density housing across the whole site they'd really clean up.

The Snows in Canberra have made a lot of money from the airport, but their development has been pretty good. Some rocky patches along the way, but it's a very well-thought-out terminal now.

Apart from the pick up situation. I still see passengers waiting to be picked up in drop-off zones, or drivers waiting in same and tying up a space. Sometimes it's the cops grabbing some free parking. A cellphone waiting area system like they have in the States of America would be good - let drivers in to pick up passengers, but fine them if they stay more than a couple of minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts