Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say, my god I love this forum. Now...

Today I took a rider to the airport, it was my second passenger of the night and I had a good feeling about today already. No issues there. $25 run. No tip, no biggie.

I don't normally do airport pick ups and in my relatively short time as an Uber/Lyft driver (about 4 mo.) I never had to do an Uber pick up there. Took me a little over 2 hours and a little bit of messing up to get out of there with a rider. I got my ass to the extended parking, saw a parking spot right by the exit and took my place in line. Started with 33 cars and it took about 1.5 hours for the app to say I was in #1 position.

Here is where the fun started. As I waited, all excited, to finally get a ping, nothing was happening. 10 minutes went by, 20, then 30... so natuarally I'm realizing something is not right there. I come to the forums, search for PIT queue and yep, I'm a dumbass. While I was number 1, I was in the wrong spot at the parking lot. Moved to the actual cell phone lot, got pinged within 2 minutes. Paid $2 for additional hour in the extended lot too. Here it goes. Lessons learned:

- PIT pick ups are very time consuming and probably not worth it.
- Uber app doesn't tell you everything about the process. (learned here)
- To get a ping, you must be within the designated cell phone lot (learned here)
- To avoid paying for parking, you can exit the parking lot within one hour, first hour free, circle around the airport and get back for another free hour. You won't lose you spot in line by doing that, just keep the app running (learned here)
- Pick ups must be done at the commercial curb door 4. It's easy to find, just follow yellow signed that say deliveries, rental car return and then commercial curb arrivals.
- Pick up your passenger normally and gtfo of there.

I hope it helps someone in the future

Thanks again to this forum for the information. I was getting ready to freak out and leave empty but then found my answers here.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
First let me say, my god I love this forum. Now...

Today I took a rider to the airport, it was my second passenger of the night and I had a good feeling about today already. No issues there. $25 run. No tip, no biggie.

I don't normally do airport pick ups and in my relatively short time as an Uber/Lyft driver (about 4 mo.) I never had to do an Uber pick up there. Took me a little over 2 hours and a little bit of messing up to get out of there with a rider. I got my ass to the extended parking, saw a parking spot right by the exit and took my place in line. Started with 33 cars and it took about 1.5 hours for the app to say I was in #1 position.

Here is where the fun started. As I waited, all excited, to finally get a ping, nothing was happening. 10 minutes went by, 20, then 30... so natuarally I'm realizing something is not right there. I come to the forums, search for PIT queue and yep, I'm a dumbass. While I was number 1, I was in the wrong spot at the parking lot. Moved to the actual cell phone lot, got pinged within 2 minutes. Paid $2 for additional hour in the extended lot too. Here it goes. Lessons learned:

- PIT pick ups are very time consuming and probably not worth it.
- Uber app doesn't tell you everything about the process. (learned here)
- To get a ping, you must be within the designated cell phone lot (learned here)
- To avoid paying for parking, you can exit the parking lot within one hour, first hour free, circle around the airport and get back for another free hour. You won't lose you spot in line by doing that, just keep the app running (learned here)
- Pick ups must be done at the commercial curb door 4. It's easy to find, just follow yellow signed that say deliveries, rental car return and then commercial curb arrivals.
- Pick up your passenger normally and gtfo of there.

I hope it helps someone in the future

Thanks again to this forum for the information. I was getting ready to freak out and leave empty but then found my answers here.
I would never wait in the lot unless there were a lot of arrivals and lowish queue. A 33 car queue isn't too bad though depending on arrivals. Glad you learned a lot on these forums.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You can actually avoid having to loop back around after an hour and just stay in the cell phone lot for up to two hours without paying that $2 for the second hour. Just sign the lot ticket and tell them at the lot exit that you are an uber driver and they will waive the $2. Make sure you have the uber placard on your window too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great blog guys! I am a new Uber driver, three mos now. I am thinking of driving tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on what time or where I should go in the city?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Great blog guys! I am a new Uber driver, three mos now. I am thinking of driving tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on what time or where I should go in the city?? Thanks!!!
Depends where you live but people start leaving for the airport around 3:30AM-4:30AM for ~5:30AM flights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been looking at my reports for the last few weeks and my income has gone up significantly. I'm driving the same number of hours and same areas. I found the reason I am making so much more... I do lots of airport drop-offs, but I have not done an airport pickup in a while. It's not worth the wait!

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing most people don't apparently know is that the air Port has an app so you can check it to see if there are going to ba alot of arriving flights and then check the app to see how many cars are there and there you go. If there are 62 cars and only two arriving flights it doesn't make sense but if there are 10 arriving flights and 16 cars then it is likely you will make money

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing most people don't apparently know is that the air Port has an app so you can check it to see if there are going to ba alot of arriving flights and then check the app to see how many cars are there and there you go. If there are 62 cars and only two arriving flights it doesn't make sense but if there are 10 arriving flights and 16 cars then it is likely you will make money
I usually think it's funny when there aren't any flights coming in but 16 cars in the lot like what are you just going to waste gas and sleep all night? Ha ha.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a hit or miss, every time I picked up at the Airport I had nice people, and even a $20 tip one time from taking a family to a hotel downtown. Last time I was there waiting for over two hours, guys that I picked up were fine, ended up being around $25 for me. I will never go there to work on purpose, but if I'm there already I'll give it a go, I like this kind of gamble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a former Yellow Cab driver, I have a lot of experience at the airport. But have been learning the Uber way. I knew about the cell lot, but didn't know you would miss your ping if you weren't in the right lot.
My first Uber airport was dropping off a family. There were 43 cars in queue, so I left. As soon as I cleared the airport zone I got pinged for a ride at WslMart (The Pointe). Dropped him off and immediately got a second ride. Dropped him off then got pinged for a pick up at the airport. 30 minutes. 43 cars and I was the closest Uber at about 5 miles away.
Second airport experience, I dropped off and was 28 in queue. I again decided to leave. I pulled into the Sunoco for a bio and a beverage and was 18th.
I didn't realize the queue extended to the Sunoco, but then saw a guy walking up from the cell lot watching his phone. He was Uber. Good to know you can walk up there while in queue.
Anyway, I changed my mind and by the time I was pulling into the cellphone lot, I was 10th.
30 minutes, 28 cars, and I was heading downtown.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the past, after dropping off an airport run, I have stopped by the Sunoco to grab a bite, use the facilities, etc. and then driven around to the cell phone lot and the entire time I was in the queue, but I have to agree that if the queue is long it makes no sense waiting, even if you don't pick up at Robinson, getting back to town and getting even a few small fares makes up for the time you would be sitting and waiting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where is this app? might be nice to know for future references

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Reactions: DryfeSands

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I thought that Sunoco would knock you out of the queue.
That's what I thought as well, at the least for poor connectivity reasons. Although I did run in there a few weeks ago and didn't notice anything. Not sure how far Uber's geofence reaches within the cell phone lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
there have been times when i've driven around the entire lot to go to the Air National Guard base and still been in queue
It looks like you are still in the queue but it drops as soon as you pass sunco. Turn on a destination trip and it says to leave the airport queue. That message goes away just before you get on 376.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there a different queue for xl and uberx? When I go to queue I see a number like 43 then it jumps to 4. A while later 3. Then a while 2. When I ask other drivers they aren't seeing what I see. Any ideas? I never see a count down. I always think of it as 4 is about 40 cars 3 is 30 and so on. Last week I was in the queue for 3 hours. At least an hour at 1 and never got a ride. The wait time was long other drivers said they were there two hours. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts