Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main way that I feel like an employee these days is the algorithm that pings drivers. Everyone speculates that there are other factors other than bring the closest car like: car type, rating, acceptance rate and whether you've been matched with the rider before. The one thing I wish these lawsuits against Uber regarding the employee vs. contractor debate would ask for is what is baked into the algorithm. I think we all would find it amazing how Uber is screwing us by the factors they throw into that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Whatever is screwing me has to be helping someone...now we have to find them and bring them to justice!

In all seriousness...and i dont claim anything but shenanigans...knowing this info wouldnt help much. Lets say we suddenly got access to what goes into this top secret algorithm and you set yourself up perfectly for your next ping from Al kahalek's late night pub. Where do you imagine all the other uber drivers to be? You guessed it: between you and your next desired ping. Right now, we spend our waiting time guessing. If we dont have to guess, we will just be waiting. Doesnt help much.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you. Everyone would be doing the same thing. But I'd much rather know the rules to the game when I play the game. This whole ping thing is much too nefarious.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That algorithm is manipulative like a narcissistic college chick at a Gucci store with her daddy!
And if you don't give it what it wants it punishes in the same manner.

·
Registered
428 Posts
But what does it want really?
Means you have to be a "good boy", accept every ping, including Pool, drive 13 minutes to pick up, never cancel and so on....The algorythm will like you & start feeding you $2.80 trips, 4.3 rated rider, multiple trips but not a real profit....

Lose lose if you ask me.

Drive surge only, cherry pick to make a profit, then algorythm will retaliate....WTF...Time to get out of this rotten chit.

Your boss is a sick algorythm!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a driver tell me that UBER and Lyft use a different algorithm for premium rides. Instead of proximity based they use some variation of a FIFO method. Does anyone know anything about this? It would certainly alter my strategy at times.

·
Premium Member
11,650 Posts
The main way that I feel like an employee these days is the algorithm that pings drivers. Everyone speculates that there are other factors other than bring the closest car like: car type, rating, acceptance rate and whether you've been matched with the rider before. The one thing I wish these lawsuits against Uber regarding the employee vs. contractor debate would ask for is what is baked into the algorithm. I think we all would find it amazing how Uber is screwing us by the factors they throw into that.
The recipe for the algorithm is considered a trade secret. It's not going to be revealed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts