Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone else have trouble there yesterday? I had major problems with the new rideshare pickup zone at UNC during and after the game yesterday.

UNC/rideshare had set up a special zone for pickups on S. Columbia across from the Health Science Library because all the roads on central campus were closed. My app had a special notice and warning of fines for doing curbside pickups elsewhere and all my pickup requests were for the zone.

But I was not able to pick up a single passenger there. I don't think anything special displayed on the passenger app so they were able to request a ride where roads were blocked for several blocks around them, and were not notified of the special zone.

Its like Uber only activated it for the drivers but not the passengers and didn't tell them about it either. It continued for several hours after the game once roads were open again too, like they forgot to shut it off.

Eventually I learned just to call the passenger when I had a request for the zone and went to wherever they were on central campus, usually around the stadium. I didn't really figure it out until after the roads were open again.

It was frustrating and my cancellation rate went up for a stupid reason.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had trouble at the NC State game. I had no intention of getting caught up in the mess, but due to arrogant HP, and clueless parking staff, the inability to U-turn out of the mess, I wound up getting funneled into the rideshare line on Youth Center drive. As I turned in, a phalanx of riders approached my car, zombie like. I waved them off, but realized how slowly the line was moving, I though hell, why not? Turned on the app, and got pinged immediately for 1.8. Had a bit of trouble talking the pax into where I was, they were french students only wanting a ride to Wolf Village. Took almost 20 minutes to wind out of the lot, single file. No way to turn around, or cut across the lot to get to Trinity road. All the access to turn out of the line were blocked by HP cars blocking.

My biggest complaint is if we are required to only go to certain pick-up/drop-off areas, we should also get priority lanes to getting off the property. Should not have taken 20 minutes to get out of the lot.

·
Premium Member
9,646 Posts
this is why i am no longer doing after event pick ups, it's just not making economic sense. It seems like for any of the venues now it takes minimum 20 to 30 minutes to get in and you are just playing the lottery. I'm only going to go if I have a prearranged cash ride or its over 2x select, I just don't have the patience for this crap anymore and its nuts trying to jockey with 500 other drivers at these big events. I'm just not hitting the long trip lottery often enough to make it worth the effort.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I didn't realize the game was ending when I got caught up in the mess out there. I figured the game was over late afternoon like the UNC and Duke games. I'm with you on after events, especially Walnut Creek, although I might start working after hockey games. I got a PT gig out there and they now are making us park in Lot C. I figure I can funnel into the ride share lanes after work and score a ride closer to home. At least for hockey games, it not all students going <3 miles down the road to campus.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same crap at Duke yesterday.

Had a guy request a ride at the corner of Towerview and Science dr during the game. He argued with me for a while about how the driver that dropped him off was able to get there a few hours ago. There was no way I could get to him, there were cop cars and cones blocking both roads. I'm not going to wait in traffic on Erwin rd with cops staring at me for fifteen minutes while he walked down to me like he wanted me to either.

They need to get this crap straightened out, I'm actively avoiding game days now.

·
Registered
603 Posts
For those of you who aren't aware, here's the UNC Football designated rideshare pickup/dropoff location. LINK

Other useful links related to UNC Football:
UNC Football Parking Map - https://maps.unc.edu/parking/event/football/
UNC Parking & Transportation Map - https://move.unc.edu/

Also, as UNC Games are ending, avoid Manning Dr, Columbia St (yes, this is where the designated rideshare location is), South Rd (blocked off anyway) unless you like sitting in a parking lot.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The app is telling the passenger that the driver is coming to their location, but sending the driver to the pickup zone on the other end of campus. The passenger won't learn anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts