Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it likely won't be much of a problem until students return, has anyone been getting hassled by Blacksburg PD lately for picking up on College Ave near TOTS? I noticed that for the last 2 months or so, they seem to be preventing people from pulling off the roadway and picking up on the cobblestone (except for those who pull into a parking space to pickup). I've just been going around into the lot and picking up there or telling them to meet me on Draper next to Souvlaki.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yup. It started spring game weekend. I was even told we can't pick up in Squires lot unless we're in an actual, non handicapped spot

·
Registered
24 Posts
§ 46.2-888. Stopping on highways; general rule.
No person shall stop a vehicle in such manner as to impede or render dangerous the use of the highway by others, except in the case of an emergency, an accident, or a mechanical breakdown. [see VA Code for the rest of the law]

As long as you don't impede traffic or cause dangerous conditions, you should be fine. If you get a ticket for it, please be sure to file a complaint against the issuing officer by going to the police station and asking for the platoon lieutenant on duty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So if you get a ticket for impeding, follow complaint against the officer even if you were in the wrong? I've seen a lot of things that I would have written tickets for when I was still on the job out of some of our fellow drivers. Best policy would be to drive like you have some sense and obey the laws. As for filing complaints against officers for doing their jobs that is only going to further tensions between Uber drivers and the various law-enforcement agencies we encounter. Sometime when you are not busy try and approach the officers and find out what you could do to improve relations, a.k.a. ask what their pet peeves with us are, and like Ginseng said… They will usually tell you if you ask politely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Read my post and the law a little more carefully. If you are not "[impeding] or [rendering] dangerous the use of the highway by others", but they still write you a ticket for stopping on the street, then I think you should file a complaint. If they are not courteous, then I think you should file a complaint. If you stop in the middle of the street and hold up traffic, then I think that's on you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with the issue of professionalism and that was partially one of my biggest pet peeve is when my fellow officers were not professional. The problem with the code sections is that it is somewhat open to interpretation and your opinion of the officers may differ. There is also a separate section for improper stopping at itself but I do not have time to look that up for you, it is separate from the tampon ticket as we used to call them or impeding the flow. I have seen a lot of our fellow drivers and a couple of other companies doing ridiculous stuff and I would have nailed them given the chance, but if you drive like you have some sense you shouldn't have too many worries. I have talked to many of the BPD officers and Cheryl the VTPD officer's that are friends of mine from my old working days and Believe it or not several of them are happy that we are there and the students are usually notice so if we just act with a level of professionalism ourselves should work fairly smoothly. One told me that you're just now getting used to seeing the gold and black registration tags and learning what we were about and I can certainly understand that and with anything new it's going to take them some adjustment time as well to make sure that everything is done legally. Best wishes for a successful weekend and I will see you on the street Salem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup. It started spring game weekend. I was even told we can't pick up in Squires lot unless we're in an actual, non handicapped spot
I have a handicap placard and was parked in the handicapped parking space in front of Jimmy John's and a cop came to me and said I could not park there unless I was getting out of the car and going into one of the establishments. another copy said I could park there. they are all confused

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That seems odd but could be legit. They do want those spots for people who need to park close to be able to get into businesses. Just use the squires lot though. It's way easier to get in and out and will avoid issues

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kimberly, like Ginseng said, it would be better to just park in the squires lot and she has been doing this so long, that is what I have started doing. Like she said the plaque heard and tags for handicapped are for getting in and out for your convenience at businesses nearby. Actually using them to conduct other business could cause the suspension of your placard if an officer followed through with it. In my 16 years of experience and I would say the first officer was right on the money, the second officer might have been a rookie or just more laid-back . personally, I don't think I would risk having a miss use of the placard reported to DMV by anybody especially a police officer! Along with the suspension of your parking a privilege it carries hefty fines as well. Best of luck to you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Read my post and the law a little more carefully. If you are not "[impeding] or [rendering] dangerous the use of the highway by others", but they still write you a ticket for stopping on the street, then I think you should file a complaint. If they are not courteous, then I think you should file a complaint. If you stop in the middle of the street and hold up traffic, then I think that's on you.
I never said anything about a ticket. They were fairly consistently standing there and directing traffic to keep moving - which you must obey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts