Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Uber Select Vehicle which could also be classified as Uber Black, however Uber isn't taking on any new commercial partners. I was told that even though I am not a commercial partner that I could still pick up patrons at the airport the same way as long as I have my airport credentials. Uber told me that I didn't need to submit proof of credentials and that I would still get pinged for rides. Has anyone else tried this that might be in the same situation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am specifically trying to find out if anyone who drives Uber X, XL or Select with airport credentials currently does pick up at Sky Harbor and if so on average how many requests do you get waiting at the site? Is it enough requests that you only do airport pick ups? Or do you incorporate it into other runs as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
For airport credentials you will need a commercial insurance
from a AAA rated insurance company + the fees for the annual airport sticker.
James River (Uber's insurance) is NOT AAA and it's not in your name.
AAA commercial insurance will cost you anywhere from $8,000- $15,000 per year.

:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ElectroFuzz :) I have already researched everything regarding the pricing on a commercial insurance policy and the fees involved in getting airport credentials. I just need more clarity on how many requests you get in waiting at the airport site on a good day and on a bad day. And are drivers for Uber X, XL and Select incorporating other runs into this?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Thanks ElectroFuzz :) I have already researched everything regarding the pricing on a commercial insurance policy and the fees involved in getting airport credentials. I just need more clarity on how many requests you get in waiting at the airport site on a good day and on a bad day. And are drivers for Uber X, XL and Select incorporating other runs into this?
In all seriousness, I would stay as far away as possible.

Since Uber reduced the XL rates and permitted the UberSUV drivers with Escalades, Navigators and Suburbans to accept both XL and Select requests, the airport has been dead for weeks!

The only way it will get any better is if these morons stop running their $75,000 Escalades at half price!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight. As an UberBlack driver aren't you also permitted to accept both X and Select requests?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Thanks for the insight. As an UberBlack driver aren't you also permitted to accept both X and Select requests?
Yes, I have the ability to do that, however why would I want to run my vehicle at much lower rates?

When you get approved by Sky Harbor to operate at the airport, it is just not cost effective to pick up UberX customers at all, and it becomes highly questionable if operating as an UberSELECT is profitable.

Now that XL is the same cost to the customer as Select, the Select wait times at the airport have doubled.

Drivers that have no idea what a profit and loss statement is, much less how to calculate one properly have really damaged the airport experience recently, and I am not sure that it can recover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is great information. I guess everyone who is able to do pick ups at the airport will just have to figure out if it makes them enough money to make a difference. Perhaps they have other sources of income or own their own car services, that the extra Uber rides are just something extra to fill spaces in their schedules. Everyone is at a different stage in their journey, so I could understand how most drivers who have been driving longer and see the impact of the new drivers coming in aren't very happy. Everyone is really out for themselves and only time will tell what will happen.... I guess it's a survival of the fittest type of thing.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
The real beauty of this for Uber, since they are seemingly a company that tends to prey on people's ignorance, they win every time!

Some people are just too ignorant to get out of their own way and that is just how Uber likes it!

That is the sad reality of this business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drive uberx at the airport. I don't know who told you that you can't get a commercial account because that's the only way you can add the credentials for the airport as well as the credentials for the insurance. you need to go to the partner office and they will explain it to you. the first thing you need to do is open a new uber account. but make sure you select the commercial tab. in all honesty it used to be profitable and a lot of volume but several people and companies are starting to put out uberx and / XL fleets renting out vehicles to drivers the same way they do with uber black drivers. in my opinion stay far far away it's not worth it

·
Registered
31 Posts
by the way I should mention that I came from driving a cab. cab driver used to make me great money and then uber came a long.

the riders are cocky rude stubborn and much much more. uber has changed the game on tipping in a service industry job. it's ridiculous. the only reason I'm still working is because I have my insurance policy still to go for another 8 months but once that's done I'm out. I'll figure something else to do because working for peanuts is ridiculous. if they offered a great rate for us to drive and not keep lowering it then I wouldn't have a problem at all. being competitive is one thing but being jerks in the business is another. $0.90 a mile when a Cab is $2.20 a mile is just plain wrong. if they had it at a decent rate like a 1.50 mile they would have so much happier drivers. also if they allowed tipping it would make up for some of the cheap mileage rates. it is true what they say that they are not a transportation company because they don't know jack about transportation business and how to run a correct one. Is to take care of the drivers that run the business for you.

oh wait they do take care of the drivers but only the black platform because they know if they reduce the rate on that platform the drivers will all quit.

right now there is several guys that are running fleets at the airport for uber X. they will either rent the vehicle to you between 300 to $400 a week that includes commercial insurance and maintenance or they will do a split plan with you where they take 50% of everything and leave you with 50% and they will pay you. in other words you are technically working under the guy that owns the fleet even though you can see your own account and everything the money all goes to his account and he cut you a check. that's how all the uber black drivers Work because the company has to secure their money for letting you rent the vehicle that's why.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
oh wait they do take care of the drivers but only the black platform because they know if they reduce the rate on that platform the drivers will all quit.
You are kidding with this post, surely.

So, they take care of the driver's on the Black platform...let's examine things a little:

1) allowing X to pick up at Sky Harbor =
Huge cut in earnings

2) adding XL to the options =
Huge cut in UberSUV earnings

3) adding Select to the options =
Huge cut in UberBLACK earnings

4) putting some UberBLACK drivers on the Select tier =

5) allowing UberSUV drivers to accept requests on 4 platforms =

Remember, UberBLACK is the original Uber and the drivers that have been contracting to Uber since they arrived in Phoenix have certainly had the largest pay cuts of anybody and yet their expenses are higher than anybody!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts